• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase DG-68

MDAguy

Forum Donor
hoping someone still following this thread can comment on my post here regarding how best to integrate the DG-68 into my system

BTW, retail on this according to my dealer is $25K, which is US Retail, so it's way higher than retail in Japan, but street price is "whatever you can negotiate" ... and $13K isn't impossible let's just say if you're a very, VERY, good customer of said dealer.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dvice-on-installing-dsp-into-my-system.17895/

Last edited:

MDAguy

Forum Donor

MDAguy

Forum Donor
took delivery of the DG-68 yesterday and what can I say.. first class in every respect.. The packing, boxing, included items (very high quality cables, mic, manuals, even a fancy dust cloth)..

Performance is amazing... in my small room, I did measurements in 3 different areas and did 3 flat and three "smooth" models.. to my ear the smooth is the way to go and as a bonus the analyzer is fun to watch going up and down.. lots of Easter egg features hidden inside, and I'm playing around with all of them... but for the most part, it's relatively plug-n-play if that's what you're looking for...

smallpic.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
took delivery of the DG-68 yesterday and what can I say.. first class in every respect.. The packing, boxing, included items (very high quality cables, mic, manuals, even a fancy dust cloth)..

Performance is amazing... in my small room, I did measurements in 3 different areas and did 3 flat and three "smooth" models.. to my ear the smooth is the way to go and as a bonus the analyzer is fun to watch going up and down.. lots of Easter egg features hidden inside, and I'm playing around with all of them... but for the most part, it's relatively plug-n-play if that's what you're looking for...

View attachment 100067

I assume you can turn the display off, if desired?

MDAguy

Forum Donor
I assume you can turn the display off, if desired?

it can be dimmed 3 levels/settings or completely turned off until you touch a button .... my only wish is it had a “dark mode” ...

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Thanks.

Where are you getting your Accuphase in the US?

In Seattle, the one dealer that did carry it seems to no longer.

Legend Audio and Video in Mass. Ivan Messar ... great guy ... he will discount (slightly) off US MSRP which for this thing is $24000...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have the 2 Accuphase units, but no their DAC, pre-amp or amp?

MDAguy

Forum Donor
You have the 2 Accuphase units, but no their DAC, pre-amp or amp?

My DAC (with up sampling and streamer) is a very solid one from dCS, so I’m good with that but if my budget we’re to triple for the amp (not gonna happen anytime soon) ... I’d go with their C3900 preamp and one of their 100w hybrid class A and AB Amps for sure. Meantime the McIntosh stuff is working great for me.
SMALLALL.jpg

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My DAC (with up sampling and streamer) is a very solid one from dCS, so I’m good with that but if my budget we’re to triple for the amp (not gonna happen anytime soon) ... I’d go with their C3900 preamp and one of their 100w hybrid class A and AB Amps for sure. Meantime the McIntosh stuff is working great for me.View attachment 100074

I thought mixing Accuphase and McIntosh was not allowed. :)

What's that giant hose under the left speaker?

I like the stands. What are they?

MDAguy

Forum Donor
I thought mixing Accuphase and McIntosh was not allowed. :)

What's that giant hose under the left speaker?

I like the stands. What are they?

That is a fancy audiophile cable made by Gutwire in Canada and before you ask .. no I can’t hear it. :D
I also have one of their 4-bar power strips which it Powers ... it’s super inflexible so that’s how it lays down best.

the stands and the rack are all made by SolidSteel in Italy. Top quality stuff ... highly recommend..

Last edited:

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My DAC (with up sampling and streamer) is a very solid one from dCS, so I’m good with that but if my budget we’re to triple for the amp (not gonna happen anytime soon) ... I’d go with their C3900 preamp and one of their 100w hybrid class A and AB Amps for sure. Meantime the McIntosh stuff is working great for me.View attachment 100074
It's a beautiful set-up (and I want to hear more about the DG-68), but can I say that your rack seems dangerously under spec'ed for the value of gear entrusted on it.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
It's a beautiful set-up (and I want to hear more about the DG-68), but can I say that your rack seems dangerously under spec'ed for the value of gear entrusted on it.

SolidSteel is good stuff, built like a M1 tank... I think it can easily handle 500lbs..

As for the DG-68, what can I say... works good, lasts long.. super easy to use, just plug in the mic and follow the menu... there is a manual mode that has a lot of settings but I've not messed with it yet...

using the remote (or the face controls) it's very easy to turn off voicing, EQ or EQ&Voicing and A/B the experience, and I defiantly prefer the Voicing and EQ on.. If I close my eyes and lay in my listing chair, I forget I'm in a smallish room with "bookshelf" speakers... Before it was great, but not it sound perfect to my ear.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
The speaker is bolted to the top of the stand or no?

it sits on rubber feet that are attached to the stand which has some kind of double isolated top as well as pin feet... no hard connection, but I am thinking I should use some of that gooie stuff and maybe stick it down and see if makes a big difference?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19195

I got my answer. $3k for the smaller benefit it may give & $10k for the cool look :)

Yes. That's Accuphase and Mcintosh. It's usually well built. It usually performs nicely, but it's overpriced jewelry. They are luxury prestige brands. The same results can be had for alot less coin.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
Yes. That's Accuphase and Mcintosh. It's usually well built. It usually performs nicely, but it's overpriced jewelry. They are luxury prestige brands. The same results can be had for alot less coin.

no doubt.. you're paying for a lot of workmanship, country of origin, name brand (to some extent), but you'd like to hope decent measurements and tone... I can probably get identical SQ form a system at 1/10 or even less the cost if I was just looking purely for bang for the buck.

Top Bottom