• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-WM1A Review (Digital Audio Player)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well, it’s interesting that he went to such an effort to measure the device, but yet didn’t seem to even take a small research in-sight into how users feel.

Why?
How users feel is irrelevant to whether it is well engineered. That you and lots of others really like it, to the extent of feeling like you needed to join a forum to tell everyone how dumb they are for identifying some clear issues, really isn't the point.

Surly all these people who love the product can’t be all wrong?

No one is saying they are wrong for liking it? Why did it feel like that to you? You seem to be the one that's being surly. ;)

Hemi-Demon

This was released in 2016, so other companies have bested these measurements. I have owned one of these and found it to be a excellent music player. The power limitations do impact device compatibility, but with iems it is dead silent, which is a better match imo. The database updates are indeed maddening. The drivers are needed to use as a USB dac, and you have to choose a setting in the menu to initialize it, but I get the ASIO4ALL requirement for the AP. Its a shame that most of the dap reviews don't allow for USB dac mode to get a better sense of the device measurables.

The Sony OS is the best user interface for daily use, yielding far better battery life than most android based daps. It remains a better option than most Astell products, but its too expensive in todays market, imo. The WM1Z sounds better, but the power levels are also anemic for $3,000. No wifi, no atreaming, means no buy in 2020, though. I do wish Sony would update the device, fix the database management, add streaming, increase the output, keep the buttons, cut the body weight and fix the upper end response a bit, as the device lacks upper register sparkle, by tuning design.

So far the only Dap that measures well is the Lotoo PAW that Wolf measured awhile ago.

Thanks for the review.

Redcarmoose

So you just joined the forum today to make this one post and then state “I’ll be on my way now.” Way to abuse the forum. Let me guess—you are a Sony dealer and sell these things?
I've read the stuff here before, just never felt like posting.

Redcarmoose

Why?
How users feel is irrelevant to whether it is well engineered. That you and lots of others really like it, to the extent of feeling like you needed to join a forum to tell everyone how dumb they are for identifying some clear issues, really isn't the point.

No one is saying they are wrong for liking it? Why did it feel like that to you? You seem to be the one that's being surly. ;)
I'm no expert in DAPs. I did spend from 2010 till 2017 reading about them. The 1A may not even be comparable to what is for sale today. His points about being underpowered are simply not true in use. The point about it not being better than a phone or dongle is not true.

Redcarmoose

This was released in 2016, so other companies have bested these measurements. I have owned one of these and found it to be a excellent music player. The power limitations do impact device compatibility, but with iems it is dead silent, which is a better match imo. The database updates are indeed maddening. The drivers are needed to use as a USB dac, and you have to choose a setting in the menu to initialize it, but I get the ASIO4ALL requirement for the AP. Its a shame that most of the dap reviews don't allow for USB dac mode to get a better sense of the device measurables.

The Sony OS is the best user interface for daily use, yielding far better battery life than most android based daps. It remains a better option than most Astell products, but its too expensive in todays market, imo. The WM1Z sounds better, but the power levels are also anemic for $3,000. No wifi, no atreaming, means no buy in 2020, though. I do wish Sony would update the device, fix the database management, add streaming, increase the output, keep the buttons, cut the body weight and fix the upper end response a bit, as the device lacks upper register sparkle, by tuning design.

So far the only Dap that measures well is the Lotoo PAW that Wolf measured awhile ago.

Thanks for the review.
I agree with you 100%......but..............I'm sure there are great measurements out there. Though I'm not sure if steaming is needed. I have no issues with the data management? Power levels are fine in my use? Remember though the other companies are using off the shelf chips, so I'm not sure how they sound? You basically have to like the Sony sound. Some don't.

Last edited:

Redcarmoose

And..........yes it the 4 year old 1A at $1200 may be overpriced in todays market comparing value.

witchdoctor

No just a humble person with a product I truly love. Redcarmoose on Head-Fi. You could tell if you read my posts I'm not a Sony Dealer.

I like the sony brand and their CEO. They have great engineers that can address these types of issues once they are known. Why not see if they can "raise the bar"?

Redcarmoose

Why?

Telling the people they would be better off with a phone? The point again?

No I don't feel wrong at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcarmoose

Sony NW-WM1A Listening Tests
In high mode using balanced output, I was pleasantly surprised that there was enough power to drive my inefficient Ether CX 25 ohm headphones. The sound was very clean and detailed with good bass. Switching to Sennheiser HD-650 in low gain mode was disappointing. There was no dynamics and bass was suffering. I did not try it in high mode but that should make a good difference.

Conclusions
Sony nails the look and feel of a digital audio player with NW-WM1A. It is the Sony that I know (which I worked for years ago) which sadly lost that touch for years.
Alas, software execution could be better and performance simply is not there. You can do better with a used LG phone or many dongles. I realize some people like DAPs due to better usability. The Sony has that but not the requisite performance for what they are asking.

If you are going to buy the Sony, I highly recommend getting balanced cables for your headphones to get the much higher power (and lower distortion) it produces.

Overall, I can't recommend the Sony NW-WM1A. It gets a few things right but is far short of what a perfect DAP should be. And at $1000, I expect perfection.

1) Alas, software execution could be better and performance simply is not there.

Sony (even now) has the best operating system for DAPs on the market.

2) You can do better with a used LG phone or many dongles.

Simply the stupidest thing I've read all year.

3125b

Major Contributor
The point about it not being better than a phone or dongle is not true.
No, it is true.
This doesn't have more power than the typical balanced dongles (like Hidizs S8) and a much worse DAC.
Also only 128GB non-expandable storage.
Worse usability than modern smartphones.
Large and heavy.
Face it, it's a pointless device as is.
If it had proper line level output and a 110dB SINAD DAC and expandable storage it might be worth it for some people.

threni

Major Contributor
Sony NW-WM1A Listening Tests
In high mode using balanced output, I was pleasantly surprised that there was enough power to drive my inefficient Ether CX 25 ohm headphones. The sound was very clean and detailed with good bass. Switching to Sennheiser HD-650 in low gain mode was disappointing. There was no dynamics and bass was suffering. I did not try it in high mode but that should make a good difference.

Conclusions
Sony nails the look and feel of a digital audio player with NW-WM1A. It is the Sony that I know (which I worked for years ago) which sadly lost that touch for years.
Alas, software execution could be better and performance simply is not there. You can do better with a used LG phone or many dongles. I realize some people like DAPs due to better usability. The Sony has that but not the requisite performance for what they are asking.

If you are going to buy the Sony, I highly recommend getting balanced cables for your headphones to get the much higher power (and lower distortion) it produces.

Overall, I can't recommend the Sony NW-WM1A. It gets a few things right but is far short of what a perfect DAP should be. And at $1000, I expect perfection.

1) Alas, software execution could be better and performance simply is not there.

Sony (even now) has the best operating system for DAPs on the market.

2) You can do better with a used LG phone or many dongles.

Simply the stupidest thing I've read all year.

Second stupidest, surely?

Hemi-Demon

This review here about the Walkman 1A is the only one on the internet with this opinion? I respect the author for his effort, but it needs more reality. It's one persons opinion. That's fine. But when you post something on the internet you open yourself up for criticism. If the writer can't handle that........well.....maybe they shouldn't do reviews. His points are valid yet many aspects are simply stupid. Find another review in THE WORLD and link it here. This seems to be the single understanding of the device this way. Does it make the writer smart or somehow influential? Does it?

Guess what? No one has written such silly comments abut the 1A. So?

Yes they have. There are a few reviews , showing the Wm1a/Z measures poorly, and speak about the low power output.

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-nw-wm1z-24-bit

Redcarmoose

No, it is true.
This doesn't have more power than the typical balanced dongles (like Hidizs S8) and a much worse DAC.
Also only 128GB non-expandable storage.
Worse usability than modern smartphones.
Large and heavy.
Face it, it's a pointless device as is.

I would love to hang out here and talk but I've made my point. Testing aside both subjective and objectively, If you were using the equipment I'm using it's that the 1A is fabulous and still unique. I'm not talking about power, I'm taking about detail retrieval and soundstage. Realistic instrument timbre, positioning, transient character response and over all tone. This has nothing to do with a phone dongle? lol

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I would love to hang out here and talk but I've made my point. Testing aside both subjective and objectively, If you were using the equipment I'm using it's the 1A is fabulous and still unique. I'm not talking about power, I'm taking about detail retrieval and soundstage. Realistic instrument timbre, positioning, transient character response and over all tone. This has nothing to do with a phone dangle? lol

Uh huh.

Thanks for stopping by.

DosThou

This was released in 2016, so other companies have bested these measurements.
This was released in 2017 and cost less than $200. Not a DAP but portable devices whose performance surpassed this $1200 device existed even back then, at far cheaper prices.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sd-dac-and-portable-headphone-amplifier.3507/

This is from 2018 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

Sorry, this thing is just bad.

Redcarmoose

I probably sound like a lunatic here. This madman shows up out of no where and is drooling..........foaming from the mouth?

Well why?

I simply would not want someone to miss the 1A experience........even now. It's simply sharing the love of audio. But maybe more than that? The cause.........the cause is the single greatest motivator for man. It's an audiophile cause. And it's nothing personal to the author? Not at all. It's simply correcting one viewpoint with another persons view.

3125b

Major Contributor
This is more of an objectivist or technically minded forum if you will. You might be more at home in a subjectivist forum. Try headfi or super best audio friends (they do sometimes measure stuff, but then disregard that just as fast).

Top Bottom