• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio X14 Speaker Review

eyes-on-you

I used the X18 and Special Forty models around 4 years.

I did not have a chance to take any measurements, but the X18 had a slightly bright and tiring sound. I think something was always missing, even if I liked their sounds in general. When I listened to KEF R models that measure better, I became more confident.

There was no similar problem with Special Forty.

Still, all the Dynaudio speakers that I listened from the lowest model (Emit M10) to top (Confidence series) were far from realistic sound. I think the ups and downs which i see on the frequency graph confirm this.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I used the X18 and Special Forty models around 4 years.

I did not have a chance to take any measurements, but the X18 had a slightly bright and tiring sound. I think something was always missing, even if I liked their sounds in general. When I listened to KEF R models that measure better, I became more confident.

There was no similar problem with Special Forty.

Still, all the Dynaudio speakers that I listened from the lowest model (Emit M10) to top (Confidence series) were far from realistic sound. I think the ups and downs which i see on the frequency graph confirm this.

I did find the X14s to be a little on the bright side and did not use much toe-in during the time they were my office speakers. That is why I upgraded to pair of X18s to increase the energy in the bass octaves (no room for subs in that room). But I did not find them to be offensively bright, and I have EQ baked into my office system (EQ APO on my source PC and/or an EQ plugin installed in foobar2000) which made it a moot point.

The REAL reasons I upgraded, if I am perfectly honest, is I found pair of X18s in mint condition with original box and accessories in the beautiful rosewood finish for $600 in a local sale, and I liked the nicer look and always prefer a 6.5" driver to a 5.25". After selling the X14s, the upgrade cost is a wash.

My main thoughts on how the Excite series sounds is, they sound 'exciting' and always present a polished sound--even to poor recordings. That is not my preference for critical listening, but I do like it for casual listening, which is how the speakers in my office are used. Casual listening while working.

I own other speakers, so I could theoretically send one of the X18s to @amirm for comparison testing if there is interest.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Here is an in-room measurements of my X18s. This was taken months after the X14s, with the speakers in slightly different locations, the mic in a different location, furniture moved around, and using the MMM instead of an average of sweeps in a single mic location. So, it is not directly comparable, but the trend is apparent. Everything is pretty similar, except the X18s really excite my room modes under 300Hz, which I have pulled down with EQ.

X14 repeated from page 1:
Dynaudio Excite X14 Stereo Uncorrected.png

X18:

Dynaudio X18 Stereo Uncorrected 1-12.png

Attachments

• Dynaudio X18 Stereo Uncorrected 1-24.png
    Dynaudio X18 Stereo Uncorrected 1-24.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Study Treated Frequency Response 1-12.png
    Study Treated Frequency Response 1-12.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
With such an amazing testing facility:
The-Jupiter-testing-facility-is-the-largest-in-Europe.jpg

IMG_2235.JPG

I am disappointed by their specs not being accurate.
Now, maybe that chamber and measurement fixture were made after this speaker, but they still should be able to accuracy measure sensitivity, not a single frequency hits even 84dB.

I pitty the poor guy that has to haul those speakers up a step ladder to get them on that shelf. :p

vavan

they sound 'exciting' and always present a polished sound--even to poor recordings
wonder what does that really mean and how they managed to achieve it

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
wonder what does that really mean and how they managed to achieve it

I have no idea how to objectively explain it, and I wish I could think of more material off the top of my head.

One example is Sia's Lady Croissant live album. On my LS50s and F206s (at least) and headphones, it is not a pleasant listen, as the flaws in the mix really stand out. On the Dyns, it is a listenable, enjoyable album, as if the speakers are less honest, but more pleasant.

I could experiment with EQ and probe the FR for an explanation, but I have not thus far.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea how to objectively explain it, and I wish I could think of more material off the top of my head.

One example is Sia's Lady Croissant live album. On my LS50s and F206s (at least) and headphones, it is not a pleasant listen, as the flaws in the mix really stand out. On the Dyns, it is a listenable, enjoyable album, as if the speakers are less honest, but more pleasant.

I could experiment with EQ and probe the FR for an explanation, but I have not thus far.
The dips at 2kHz & 4kHz probably "soften" some detail.

PuX

I have a pair of Excite 12 (older generation) in my secondary system.

Expected it to be a lot more flat/neutral.

Still have high expectations for higher end models (Focus/Contour/Confidence)

That looks like Ekornes chair which we used to have. I didn't find it comfortable despite its reputation otherwise.
nah, that's an Eames classic.

vavan

One example is Sia's Lady Croissant live album. On my LS50s and F206s (at least) and headphones, it is not a pleasant listen, as the flaws in the mix really stand out. On the Dyns, it is a listenable, enjoyable album, as if the speakers are less honest, but more pleasant
Thank you for example, I have it in Tidal and try to listen tomorrow. I can say that I find that quite many recordings sound somewhat unpleasant on my f208s though less so on my headphones

beagleman

Major Contributor
No question about the sensitivity. All Dyns seem to have that issue.

In house drivers, xovers, and cabs, and they couldn't do better than this? I have to say, I'm feeling a little down on Dyn right now. I suppose distortion was actually pretty good at normal listening levels, but ugh, that rising response.

Rising high end, though is one of the easiest things to fix. And many older guys, that makes up for hearing loss.

So not sure any response can "Win" when it is based on the listeners hearing also.

Maiky76

Here is an in-room measurements of my X18s. This was taken months after the X14s, with the speakers in slightly different locations, the mic in a different location, furniture moved around, and using the MMM instead of an average of sweeps in a single mic location. So, it is not directly comparable, but the trend is apparent. Everything is pretty similar, except the X18s really excite my room modes under 300Hz, which I have pulled down with EQ.

X14 repeated from page 1:
View attachment 94184

X18:

View attachment 94137

Sorry about the different smoothing and house curve. I'm far too lazy to go back and make those match.

Thanks for the data.
I plotted the comparison between the correct PIR calculated from the NFS data and your In-room measurements.
The agreement is rather decent given the sample are different and we have no information on your room...
I had to eyeball the SPL offset...

I wonder how the EQ I designed would perform/measure in your room;)
EQs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ynaudio-x14-speaker-review.17569/#post-570023

Dynaudio X14 PIR vs Real Data.png

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the data.
I plotted the comparison between the correct PIR calculated from the NFS data and your In-room measurements.
The agreement is rather decent given the sample are different and we have no information on your room...
I had to eyeball the SPL offset...

I wonder how the EQ I designed would perform/measure in your room;)
EQs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ynaudio-x14-speaker-review.17569/#post-570023

View attachment 94208
Thanks Maiky76 as far i understand @Steve Dallas in room measurement is a stereo set and one of them is the sample Amir measured and room dimensions is listed below, funny enough myself sat investigating those in room curves..
.....The room is nearly a cube at 12.5' x 12.2' x 10.5' and is a very challenging environment.....

Steve_Dallas_in-room_response_X14_verse_X18.png

Last edited:

vavan

Sia's Lady Croissant live album
ok, the very first track "Pictures" exhibited excessive brightness starting from ~6k to me so using eq helped to tame it down. what's interesting is second and following tracks were less harsh and edgy (if only still somewhat thin in the bass) as if someone there tried to correct overall balance

akarma

Budget DM 2/7 and Emit M20 are very linear and flat speakers. Actually more flat than some studio monitors

Reactions: SMc

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Thank you for example, I have it in Tidal and try to listen tomorrow. I can say that I find that quite many recordings sound somewhat unpleasant on my f208s though less so on my headphones

ok, the very first track "Pictures" exhibited excessive brightness starting from ~6k to me so using eq helped to tame it down. what's interesting is second and following tracks were less harsh and edgy (if only still somewhat thin in the bass) as if someone there tried to correct overall balance

The last track is also edgy and harsh through most of my systems. I have easy access to PEQ in both rooms, so I can do some probing.

Another example is Beck's Guero album. It overloads my senses in the upper mids and makes we want to turn it off when played on the Revels, but it is enjoyable on the Dyns. That one could be the low Q 2K dip pulling some energy out of the offensive region.

vavan

Another example is Beck's Guero album. It overloads my senses in the upper mids and makes we want to turn it off when played on the Revels
hmm, Guero sounded slightly dull on some tracks but not especially problematic

Top Bottom