• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You need to cool down the modules by dissipation, steel is not optimal, abs is a no go.
CORRECT! An alternative is to have a minimalist 'frame' that just supports the corners of the module, with maximum free air around it, so you at least get the full benefit of what the modules can do without extra cooling. It would make performance worse to attach them to panels with poor heat conduction to a larger, well ventilated surface. And you really want a lot of good air flow up through the case, as open on top as possible.

Last edited:

cooldude

Forum Donor
I am trying to build a breakout board for 36 pin header...just wanted to make sure i need to connect following:
+VP, -VP,VDR,+VOP,_VOP,-VO,GND
IN+,IN-
OUT+,OUT-

beren777

Ghent shared a photo of a completed amp with the stock EVAL1 board set PLUS speakON connectors! So, I think they will be available to order soon. I believe they will be offered with all required cables, in which case people who just want to assemble will now have an option. There's even a simple way one could connect the speakONs without soldering (requires a special jumper cable, maybe not from Ghent). I hope pricing will be similar to their other cases.
View attachment 88219

Now, where are mine with binding posts? ;)

This looks great, hope it is released soon. I've had my EVAL1 + PS sitting in a box for awhile because I backed off on pulling the trigger on other case options. For those of you are using the EVAL1 kit for listening, are you happy with it? I've read some of the comments here re: potential issues using it outside of eval/testing use cases.

AndrewDavis

I've read some of the comments here re: potential issues using it outside of eval/testing use cases.

I think those comments pertained to the Hypex NC500 evaluation board (which consequently is the "custom board" for many assemblers. But we should double check with @March Audio who's expert opinion started that discussion in the first place, I think.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I am trying to build a breakout board for 36 pin header...just wanted to make sure i need to connect following:
+VP, -VP,VDR,+VOP,_VOP,-VO,GND
IN+,IN-OUT+,OUT-
I would contact Purifi and ask. I think some other signals have to be carried and in at least one case connected to have a working amp. For instance, you must connect nAMPON to ground (if you disconnect it, the amp board switches off).

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
This looks great, hope it is released soon. I've had my EVAL1 + PS sitting in a box for awhile because I backed off on pulling the trigger on other case options. For those of you are using the EVAL1 kit for listening, are you happy with it? I've read some of the comments here re: potential issues using it outside of eval/testing use cases.

The FE02 stereo board (FE means Front End) and the upcoming FE03 mono board can be used with the Eigentakt 1ET400A modules to build full amplifiers with no stability or noise problems. Alan said of the NC500 OEM eval adapter "... it has no bandwidth limitation. There are no feedback caps and it's wide open. This can cause unpredictable performance and make it susceptible to issues such as general environmental RF and that coming out of dacs." and this applies ONLY to that board.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I wonder when Purifi is going to release amplifier modules with more power?

hyperknot

Nice! So the case and harness from Ghent, plus eval1 and smps1200, and I’d be all set to make my own amp? Do I need the cable kit from purifi? Do you think instructions would be included, or would I need to refer to instructions on purifi website? I’m a noob, so apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread (I did read through almost all 80 pages). Thanks on advance!

hyperknot

Nice! So the case and harness from Ghent, plus eval1 and smps1200, and I’d be all set to make my own amp? Do I need the cable kit from purifi? Do you think instructions would be included, or would I need to refer to instructions on purifi website? I’m a noob, so apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread (I did read through almost all 80 pages). Thanks on advance!

I believe you don't need anything else, just 2 Purifi + 2 Ghent items.

hyperknot

I asked about the SpeakON and they said that they just install it:

We just install speakON socket in rear-plate, according to the recommendation from Purifi Corp.
But to be honestly, for now I don't know how to connect :)

Purifi told us, users could solder wires from PCB to speakON directly, perhpas you could ask them.

Top Bottom