• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

kukocz

Forum Donor
EVAL2? How? Any details?
Direct contact with Purify. I exchanged a few emails with them in the beginning of June and Eval2 was already available for direct order. The price was a little bit bigger for dual monos (than EVal1) that point of time. @grobalt what is the current price?

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an e-mail yesterday from Ghent saying they will have cases designed for the Eval1 in stock in one month.
Will they have a solderless variant? Besides being easier to assemble, I prefer crimp connectors from a durability and maintenance perspective. No cold solder joints, etc.

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will they have a solderless variant? Besides being easier to assemble, I prefer crimp connectors from a durability and maintenance perspective. No cold solder joints, etc.
EVAL1 already needs no soldering, since in the input and output sockets are already on-board.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EVAL1 already needs no soldering, since in the input and output sockets are already on-board.
You are correct, if you choose to use those sockets. Not sure what Ghent is planning, however.

zappa

Originally, 94K (47K x2). Now 10.2K (5.1K x2). This is for the input buffer stage. They do not apply if you are bypassing the pregain stage and going to the 1ET400A, directly.

Why they changed the input impedance ?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Why they changed the input impedance ?
I haven't asked them, but I'd say because it lowers potential output offset voltage (with higher impedance sources), and most signal sources these days will have no problem driving the lower resistance. 10-20K is, I believe, a pretty common range for input resistance.

Hemi-Demon

For everyone going DIY in the US, where are you ordering the Purifi EVAL1 (or 2) fron? I can order direct, but the list price is approx. $750US, which seems off for just the internals without a case and PSU. For reference the VTV purifi is $980. Is there a better deal to be found for US buyers?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For everyone going DIY in the US, where are you ordering the Purifi EVAL1 (or 2) fron? I can order direct, but the list price is approx. $750US, which seems off for just the internals without a case and PSU. For reference the VTV purifi is $980. Is there a better deal to be found for US buyers?
I believe people have been emailing Purifi and asking for OEM pricing. Not sure if they are actually getting it, but it’s worth a try.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

zappa

I haven't asked them, but I'd say because it lowers potential output offset voltage (with higher impedance sources), and most signal sources these days will have no problem driving the lower resistance. 10-20K is, I believe, a pretty common range for input resistance.

Thanks lot :)

KarVi71

Since one of my Hypex UCD400HG/HxR decided to stop playing music this monday, I'm now in the process of getting parts home for Purifi 1ET400 builds.

The UCD simply stopped playing audio, sometime during playing som background music at low volume. No magic smoke or explosions, or anything spectacular, just stopped playing. All voltages from the PSU are OK, all lights on the UCD indicate everything is OK, theres just no audio.
Tried switching the channels from the preamp to hear if it could be the output from the preamp that had gone silent, but it was not.

The Purifi builds will be dual mono, driven by Hypex SMPS1200A400 PSU's. So pretty standard parts. It will be build upon Purifi's Eval2 kits, which I will get as soon as they are available. In the meantime I'll be thinking about / working on mounting them in the cabinets that hold the UCD's right now.

Until then the power stage of a NAD C 720BEE, will be driving my speakers. Its doing a pretty good job, so I can live with that :)

zappa

Hi,
I'am wondering if could be possible to run two EVAL1 (stereo)(2x2 channels), with just one SMPS1200A400 ?
It will be used in the following configuration (so, I suppose, not much need in power supply with just meds & highs to be powered ?)
The first EVAL1 will drive meds (1 channel) & highs (1 channel) on Right side (vertical bi-amping)
The second EVAL1, the same thing for a Left side.

If yes, the simple parallel connection is enough ?
Or there will be some issues with the FATAL, AMPON, ... things ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Hi,
I'am wondering if could be possible to run two EVAL1 (stereo)(2x2 channels), with just one SMPS1200A400 ?
It will be used in the following configuration (so, I suppose, not much need in power supply with just meds & highs to be powered ?)
The first EVAL1 will drive meds (1 channel) & highs (1 channel) on Right side (vertical bi-amping)
The second EVAL1, the same thing for a Left side.

If yes, the simple parallel connection is enough ?
Or there will be some issues with the FATAL, AMPON, ... things ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
I haven't considered using one SMPS1200 for 4 channels, but I certainly am still considering using just one for three channels - the center channel and two rear surrounds in a 5.1 HT rig. Yes, you can parallel the signal connections. I haven't seen a spec for the current draw of the Vunreg lines of the EVAL input board. SMPS1200 is rated for max output of 500ma.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am truly in a quandry. I sent the SMPS back to Hypex for repair. First time it came back us customs refused to ship overseas b/c some individual marked it as dangerous material.. I resent it and got it all the way back to Hypex this time. Hypex returned it, ostensibly repaired, but I plugged it in, and it does essentially the same thing--nothing. The click it makes when I put power through it is now much softer, but that's the only difference. Neither the Purifi Eval LED's light, nor does the Ghent LEDs.

Is there someone in the US I could just send this to so they could take a look at it and figure out what's going on. I admit it I am way over my head here. I thought this was going to be a relatively simple assembly job, and I just can't get it to work. Is there anyone out there who can help?

AndrewDavis

Hi Gang. I've been reading this thread with great interest and some envy at the skill of many of the DIY'ers here.

@March Audio has convinced me on the generic Hypex input buffers- audible difference or not. Is replacing the input buffers with the Neurochrome buffers as simple as unplugging the cables from the Hypex and plugging them into the Neurochrome buffer?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Hi Gang. I've been reading this thread with great interest and some envy at the skill of many of the DIY'ers here.

@March Audio has convinced me on the generic Hypex input buffers- audible difference or not. Is replacing the input buffers with the Neurochrome buffers as simple as unplugging the cables from the Hypex and plugging them into the Neurochrome buffer?
The input buffers of Hypex amp modules? This particular topic is Purifi amps. Are you asking about using different input buffers for the Purifi 1ET400A?

AndrewDavis

The input buffers of Hypex amp modules? This particular topic is Purifi amps. Are you asking about using different input buffers for the Purifi 1ET400A?

Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion.

My current amp has manufacturer branded "custom buffers" which I think are the just the NC500 evaluation boards made by Hypex. https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc500-evaluation-board/51

My question is about the ease of replacing those with Neurochrome input buffer, and whether that could be a plug and play part replacement. https://neurochrome.com/products/purifi-1et400a-hypex-nc500-input-buffer

I wasn't sure if this thread or the input buffer thread was more appropriate. The input buffer thread pertains to performance, and my question was about a DIY upgrade to the stock buffer. It was 50/50, lol. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom