• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara vs Ananda

Nango

Major Contributor
When you visually inspect Sennheiser drivers it would be easy to conclude they are the same drivers, yet they can differ a lot.

In the case of the Sundara vs Ananda it is even visually very clear the drivers differ. They may use the same thickness mylar and same magnets may be used but the shape of the membrane, the wire pattern and magnet arrangement differs visually

Admittedly they (might) sound different ...... But does THIS make an Ananda 3x the price of a Sundara?

OP
S

somy

Admittedly they (might) sound different ...... But does THIS make an Ananda 3x the price of a Sundara?
If you ask me, no. I think sq wise they’re similar, I do even prefer Sundara a tiny bit more as it’s warmer. The advantages of Ananda are 1) easy to drive I can accept to iPad as source 2) bigger and more comfortable ear pads 3) better quality overall

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What do you guys use to drive Amanda? Would i lose lots of sq if I use computer/phone directly? Thanks
Well, she was easy to drive, with nice upper mids after warm-up time. I can't tell you what I used though. :p

faheem

Forum Donor
I've used a fiio btr3, 5k, apple dongle, odac/o2 and xcan. sounded good with everything, they're easy to drive. I settled on a fiio btr3k into an xcan via 2.5mm balanced.

Paolo Piaser

So
I had the Sundara for some time, but the older version. To me it was lacking basses, even tho the rest was just a blissful pleasure. I switched to the Edition XX and found the right amount of basses for my ears. I assume Ananda is closer to Edition XX rather than Sundara.... but if the OP says they are even better than the Ananda, it might have changed with the new version. my 2 cents

Sak

I have both pairs of headphones in use at home.
Honestly, I often enjoy with Sundara. By tonality, I like it more than Ananda. Becouse it sound more neutral for me.
Usualy i prefer to listen classical music with Sundara. Becouse it is better for Instruments such as: a triangle, bells, xylophones and other high-frequency percussion.
Ananda is much warmer, attenuation is faster. I like when attenuation on HF is slower.
Off course it is very good headphones, it is a fact. But at the moment, if I needed to make a choice between two of it, I will choice Sundara. Especially considering the difference in price.
People usually moving from the Sundara's up. But this is all pretty arbitrary. It depends on personal sound preferences and favorite genres in music.
Sundara is a very good headphones with a neutral sound, and close to He560, which I owned for 3 years.
But you must not forget, that sundara needs a more powerful amp. Ananda even works from a portable player.

11239496.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

somy

Ananda fits my big ears while Sundara doesn’t :)

Sak

Ananda fits my big ears while Sundara doesn’t
If so, you should take a look at the new DROP + HIFIMAN HE5XX with double-sided magnets . For this price, its a very good offer.
https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he5xx#overview
Maybe change pads then ?
I think this should fix the problem:)
Although I am comfortable in both. Ananda's hold is slightly weaker, Sundara is a little stronger. But the head does not get tired at all, it is very light. No complaints at all.

BARDUKE

Ananda fits my big ears while Sundara doesn’t :)
I was very impressed with the Sundara when I got them. Then I got the Arya and love how big the ear cups are. Going back to the Sundara, I wonder how I ever wore them bc the cups feel so small.

Jose Hidalgo

Which brings the question : what would be the best replacement pads for Sundara ?

I'm talking about pads that :
  • would give the ears more space,
  • would respect Sundara's revised pads shape (thinner at the front to avoid unnecessary clamping close to the jaw).
  • wouldn't affect the frequency response.
Any suggestions ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
IME all different pads lead to tonal differences ranging from small to substantial.
Best to use the newer Sundara pads and order them from Hifiman.

Jose Hidalgo

Of course. My point should be understood as "wouldn't affect the frequency response SIGNIFICANTLY". I thought it was obvious, but thanks for clarifying.

I'm talking about replacing the newer Sundara pads with other pads with more space. AFAIK the newer pads don't give any more space than the older ones, so the question would be the same for the older pads too.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
More space in depth (almost certain to change tonal balance) or size of the inside 'ear chamber' ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe Vesper Audio has something, they also make custom pads.
Maybe some Chinese manufacturers sell pads. Pads bought from China that I tried usually change the sound substantially.

Jose Hidalgo

@solderdude You will know this for sure: Do (premium) phones change sound sig (even slightly) over time? Specially if one uses to listen loud and louder?
If you really listen "loud and louder", chances are that your ears are changing over time, not your phone. I would start to worry.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude You will know this for sure: Do (premium) phones change sound sig (even slightly) over time? Specially if one uses to listen loud and louder?

Dynamic drivers most likely do not change, at least I have not seen this.
Tension on membranes (planars) might change over time, might change things a bit.
Pads is a very likely 'sound changer'. Foam has a tendency to degrade over time.
This could create a better or poorer seal or change sound because of driver ear distance.
Clamping headphones on the head, thereby making the driver-ear distance shorter, can make the sound change noticeable, this is the change one can expect.
Brain-in is another aspect that should not be underestimated.
Then there is the equal loudness contours which make bass sound relatively louder at higher listening levels.
Finally there is compression of drivers at higher SPL (high odd order distortion) but this is somewhat opposite what the equal loudness contours do.

Top Bottom