• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
well that makes perfect sense lol sorry xD so is there any difference in sound when i use the usb vs opt/coax?
Technically they are quite different. USB is clocked by the DAC, opt/coax by the source. USB is better in that sense. Optical always provides galvanic isolation, others depending on the implementation, but typically not. USB has larger bandwidth. If there is no ground loop, the difference is probably not audible.

Thalis

Technically they are quite different. USB is clocked by the DAC, opt/coax by the source. USB is better in that sense. Optical always provides galvanic isolation, others depending on the implementation, but typically not. USB has larger bandwidth. If there is no ground loop, the difference is probably not audible.

Having tried all 3 inputs... I have to say I could not hear a difference. Was a bit tricky ABing between USB and SPDIF but was rather easy to AB between Coax and Toslink. That remote is bloody useful :p

Toku

Major Contributor
I have previously reported on the problems with the E30 as shown below, but the problem with PCM 768kHz producing explosive noise seems to be largely affected by the rise in ambient temperature.
If the room temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius, or if L30, which generates a lot of heat, is installed in layers, the frequency of occurrence will increase.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ing-e30-dac-review.12119/page-144#post-518235

Jose Hidalgo

I have previously reported on the problems with the E30 as shown below, but the problem with PCM 768kHz producing explosive noise seems to be largely affected by the rise in ambient temperature.
If the room temperature exceeds 28 degrees Celsius, or if L30, which generates a lot of heat, is installed in layers, the frequency of occurrence will increase.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ing-e30-dac-review.12119/page-144#post-518235
Do you really have actual PCM 768 KHz files, or are you just upsampling for the sake of upsampling ?
Sure, Topping should deal with this since they advertise 768 KHz, or then just advertise 384 KHz. But I doubt this is a significant matter anyway.

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you really have actual PCM 768 KHz files, or are you just upsampling for the sake of upsampling ?
Sure, Topping should deal with this since they advertise 768 KHz, or then just advertise 384 KHz. But I doubt this is a significant matter anyway.
I have a lot of PCM 768kHz files created with AuI ConverteR 48x44 file conversion software to test DAC equipment.
I have experienced this issue several times with other DACs, but they have been improved with a USB firmware update. Especially the SMSL M500 was terrible.

Mobeer

What is the latest revision?

I just got my E30 from Amazon from seller Shenzhen Audio and serial starts with 2008.

I am replacing my prior DAC Topping D10. It kicked the bucked on me due to AMP kicking the bucket and sending high v/current back into the RCA. Now only was I pissed off that my AMP died but it had double down and take my D10 (Which I LOVED) down too.

Liking the E30 so far. I think I had gotten used to the sound of the D10 as I had it for years and had hundreds of hours of play on it. But I'm sure I'll come around to loving the E30 too with enough play.
It definitely is crisper/clearer on the upper-mid/high range. I felt the D10 was slightly more warmer in this range. Like it was being held back JUST enough and I liked it. with the E30, it's been let loose and Im liking that too. (DAC-Atom Amp-HD600 Senns).

I have not gone through the whole thread but is it me or is the PRE-AMP in this unit subpar at best? I'm using as DAC only but gave PREAMP a couple tries and I'm not sure what it is, didn't like it compared to straight DAC output.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I have not gone through the whole thread but is it me or is the PRE-AMP in this unit subpar at best? I'm using as DAC only but gave PREAMP a couple tries and I'm not sure what it is, didn't like it compared to straight DAC output.
E30 pre-amp output is the same as DAC output. Volume is adjusted digitally. So, it does not give as good an SNR as using an analog pre-amp. However, if you use an analog pre-amp like L30 to reach a reasonable volume range for your headphones or speakers, there is enough headroom that fine-tuning with E30 does not matter.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The noise is around -150dB SNR is of no real concern for a digital volume control.

Steuerbert

hi! im not very impressed with my e30+l30, i miss a lil bass paired with my dt 1990s. i think of returning the l30 and pairing the e30 with a THX 789. good or bad idea?
or maybe rather returning both and gettin THX 124459

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are you seeing that? Amir’s measurements show noise around -120dB.

Yes, that depends on the type of measurement. Look at the dashboard picture, there you clearly see the noise floor at around -150.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi! im not very impressed with my e30+l30, i miss a lil bass paired with my dt 1990s. i think of returning the l30 and pairing the e30 with a THX 789. good or bad idea?
or maybe rather returning both and gettin THX 124459
Why don't you just add bass to taste on eq? Easy to do. Don't swap a quite powerful clean amp for a powerful clean amp. That won't add bass. Also, what's a thx124459?

Steuerbert

Why don't you just add bass to taste on eq? Easy to do. Don't swap a quite powerful clean amp for a powerful clean amp. That won't add bass. Also, what's a thx124459?

well i thought about that too
yeah i meant the dac amp (thx 788)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The THX DAC amp Combo.

Even more snappily titled than the 789!

Same answer though @Steuerbert . To get more bass in headphones when you have a decent chain powering them , you need EQ, not fishing for magic bass adding properties of various other kit.

Top Bottom