• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, indeed if you don't want to use it at impressive levels it will be fine. It would only become obvious when playing quite loud or when applying EQ.

Reactions: PSO

DrEz

Need help, please!

Thinking of picking up 9038SG3 on Linsoul.

Could I use 9038SG3 (connected to PC) with this cable (2.5mm TRRS to double 3-Pin XLR) to connect to my Liquid Platinum amp?

Tried using a cable like that with 2.5mm out on my AK SR25 dap, but there's a grounding issue: sound is distorted, and buzzing noise when music is not playing. To connect the dap to LP amp, turns out a different cable is required that has an additional 3.5mm grounding connection.

Guessing since 9038SG3 only has one 2.5mm connector and it would be connected to PC, there shouldn't be a grounding issue but it would be great if it could be confirmed.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Need help, please!

Thinking of picking up 9038SG3 on Linsoul.

Could I use 9038SG3 (connected to PC) with this cable (2.5mm TRRS to double 3-Pin XLR) to connect to my Liquid Platinum amp?

Tried using a cable like that with 2.5mm out on my AK SR25 dap, but there's a grounding issue: sound is distorted, and buzzing noise when music is not playing. To connect the dap to LP amp, turns out a different cable is required that has an additional 3.5mm grounding connection.

Guessing since 9038SG3 only has one 2.5mm connector and it would be connected to PC, there shouldn't be a grounding issue but it would be great if it could be confirmed.
That is not possible. DAC and Amp need to be grounded to each other directly. Since the 9038S doesn't have a ground pin, you cannot (easily) use it with external Amps. Doing so using an adapter like the one you mentioned will damage and destroy the 9038S if used long enough.

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually there is no grounding at all and you can short out the DAC or the amp in the worst case. It's highly not recommended. (I tried it once and it worked but it's not recommended due to the risks, key is "if used long enough" you can cause damage).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually there is no grounding at all and you can short out the DAC or the amp in the worst case. It's highly not recommended. (I tried it once and it worked but it's not recommended due to the risks, key is "if used long enough" you can cause damage).

I believe this applies to the Powerdac V2 as well. I bought such a cable and used - once- then read its not a good idea- shame as I wanted to hook the PDV2 into my XLR switching box with other DACs

Am I correct @staticV3 ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I believe this applies to the Powerdac V2 as well. I bought such a cable and used - once- then read its not a good idea- shame as I wanted to hook the PDV2 into my XLR switching box with other DACs

Am I correct @staticV3 ?
The PDv2 and 9038S are identical in that they both use 2.5mm 4 pin jacks. However, the PDv2 has another issue as it has residual switching noise at 384K, which your Amp must be able to handle.
Lastly, I must admit that I don't know how an XLR switching box might affect the situation when it comes to grounding.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The PDv2 and 9038S are identical in that they both use 2.5mm 4 pin jacks. However, the PDv2 has another issue as it has residual switching noise at 384K, which your Amp must be able to handle.
Lastly, I must admit that I don't know how an XLR switching box might affect the situation when it comes to grounding.

Never even thought about the grounding on the box! Im keeping the PD v2 separate- just not worth the risk.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A revised 'PDv2.1' will allow you to safely use those 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapters and of course will also allow you to use external amplification.

Cheers

DrEz

A revised 'PDv2.1' will allow you to safely use those 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapters and of course will also allow you to use external amplification.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry if I misunderstand, are you saying powerdac v2.1 will have both 2.5mm and 3.5mm output whereas 3.5mm can be used for grounding?

Can I use a cable like this to connect something like Sabaj Da3, which has both 2.5mm and 3.5mm out, to a balanced amp? Using 3.5mm for grounding?

Veri

Master Contributor
:O :) did not know

beanxinh

Can I use the PD 2.0 with AMP have balance input like Algorhythm duet ? Thank

beanxinh

No you can't. DAC and Amp must be directly grounded to another and the PDv2 doesn't have a ground pin. Only ±L and ±R.
Thank then I have to wait for the PD 2.1 :). I like the PEQ of the PD very much, the only downside is that there are no easy way to change the volume on PD.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank then I have to wait for the PD 2.1 :). I like the PEQ of the PD very much, the only downside is that there are no easy way to change the volume on PD.
The hardware volume on the PDv2 is digital, so there's technically no difference between it and the volume slider inside music players or browsers (if implemented correctly).
Nonetheless, the PDv2.1 will use a new USB bridge and therefore will also have UAC2 HW volume which can be controlled from Windows, iOS, macOS, and from Android using UAPP or Hiby. It'll be a separate volume control from the one in HPToy.

CrowDaddy

Amirm, apologies if you have already answered this, but when you tested the E1DA 9038 a few years ago, did you use the USB cable ground, or the shield ground, or no ground in your test setup?

Veri

Master Contributor
Amirm, apologies if you have already answered this, but when you tested the E1DA 9038 a few years ago, did you use the USB cable ground, or the shield ground, or no ground in your test setup?
He used with just a normal USB cable.

somy

Sorry me again. Does E1DA drive HD650 and Hifiman Sundara (balanced) well?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry me again. Does E1DA drive HD650 and Hifiman Sundara (balanced) well?
if you mean in terms of volume, then yes. Both headphones can reach about 115-116dB, which is very loud. I personally use the HD600 and can confirm that it gets plenty loud!
If you mean in terms of sound quality, then that's really for you to decide. I think it sounds outstanding.

somy

if you mean in terms of volume, then yes. Both headphones can reach about 115-116dB, which is very loud. I personally use the HD600 and can confirm that it gets plenty loud!
If you mean in terms of sound quality, then that's really for you to decide. I think it sounds outstanding.
Are you happy with E1DA with HD600 (I understand it needs more power than HD650)? Have you compared the combo with a desktop amp and notice some difference in terms of SQ? Thank you!

Top Bottom