• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please give me an advice which DAC/AMP + headphones do you recommend for gaming, music and movies(PC ONLY)

PlayToBeat

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new DAC/AMP and a new headphones for gaming(Call of Duty Warzone and so on), music(Spotify and iTunes) and movies(Netflix mainly).
I was thinking about getting Creative G6 or Schiit Hel as an AMP(+DAC), and HD 6XX/58X or DT 990 pro (250ohm) as a headphone.

I have no knowledge about the audiophile's world, so I would like to know what do you recommend(maybe a different AMP/DAC / headphones?)
PS. I'm using Dolby Atmos if it matters.

Thanks!

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the HD 6XX and they are an excellent pair of cans (headphones). You don't mention your price range. Topping has a lot of offerings for dacs, amps, and combination dac/amps across a wide range of prices.

DeepFried

Seems like you've done some research. Beyerdynamic's like the DT990 are good for games like Warzone because they have a boosted treble response, this is great for picking out foot steps and other small sounds you need in competitive FPS. The G6 looks like a good choice, it measures pretty well and delivers decent power, plus has the headphone interface I assume you need.

I Think you're good. Though you may need to EQ down that treble peak for some music (to your taste).

OP
P

PlayToBeat

Seems like you've done some research. Beyerdynamic's like the DT990 are good for games like Warzone because they have a boosted treble response, this is great for picking out foot steps and other small sounds you need in competitive FPS. The G6 looks like a good choice, it measures pretty well and delivers decent power, plus has the headphone interface I assume you need.

I Think you're good. Though you may need to EQ down that treble peak for some music (to your taste).

After some more research, I may skip the DT990. My ears are very sensitive to treble, so the treble spikes will really hurt.

I’m considering to buy the HD58X or K712 or AD700X, but I’m not sure what to do. What do you think?

I have the HD 6XX and they are an excellent pair of cans (headphones). You don't mention your price range. Topping has a lot of offerings for dacs, amps, and combination dac/amps across a wide range of prices.

Dac/amp <200usd.
About the HD6XX, I was told NOT to get them if my main use is gaming.

tankas

Where are you based? US, EU, etc
In US - JDS Labs Atom DAC and Atom amp. Also could look for 2nd hand Topping DX3Pro.
HD6XX would be fine.
K712 have better/wider scene - better for positioning by sound in shooters.

OP
P

PlayToBeat

Where are you based? US, EU, etc
In US - JDS Labs Atom DAC and Atom amp.
HD6XX would be fine.
K712 have better/wider scene - better for positioning by sound in shooters.

Israel.
when it comes to music, K712<HD6XX?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I switched from the K712 to the HD600 a few months ago.
I EQ all of my headphones by downloading every PEQ preset available on the AutoEQ github, and then A/Bing them in EQApo+Peace until I've found the best. With headphones that's almost always one made with rtings' or RAA's measurements.
Long story short, even with the "perfect" EQ the K712 sounded way more muffled/less detailed than the Senn. However, the AKG has the advantage when it comes to comfort and sound stage. Still, it's not worth it imo.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new DAC/AMP and a new headphones for gaming(Call of Duty Warzone and so on), music(Spotify and iTunes) and movies(Netflix mainly).
I was thinking about getting Creative G6 or Schiit Hel as an AMP(+DAC), and HD 6XX/58X or DT 990 pro (250ohm) as a headphone.

Thanks!

Schiit Modi3 DAC, Magni3+ Amp, and AKG K7xx headphones

DeepFried

Did you read the thread?
OP in EU, so all US of A shiit doesn't make sense due to ridiculous taxes...

You'll have to pay VAT, and probably a payment handling fee if you're importing from the US. Its a lot, but compared to the UK shiit prices you probably only end up paying about £20 more depending where the exchange rate is at at the time.

3125b

Major Contributor
Israel is as much part of the EU as Argentina is part of the US.

In fact, I have not the slightest idea what the market is like in Israel. What can you get a what prices?
The Creative G6 is pretty decent, certainly a good match for the (high impedance) headphones you are considering. The Schiit Hel isn't too bad either, but I doubt it would come much cheaper if you import it, so it's not gonna be worth it.
Regarding headphones:
You will just have to try them out. Nobody can tell you what you like.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a heads up on the Creative G6. It's known to have driver issues. I'm sure there are happy consumers but those driver issues are nasty sometimes.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Schiit Modi3 DAC, Magni3+ Amp, and AKG K7xx headphones
Is there even one thing that the Modi 3/Magni 3+ combo does better than the E30/L30 combo? It's even 37€ cheaper than the Schiit system.

DeepFried

Is there even one thing that the Modi 3/Magni 3+ combo does better than the E30/L30 combo? It's even 37€ cheaper than the Schiit system.

neither combos are particularly relevant anyway, as OP seemed to want a mic interface (hence Hel or G6).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Magni will have more power. But unless you need that power, there's no advantage. Get whichever stack is cheaper to you.

If you are on a budget and need to optimize price/performance, the HIDISZ S8 actually measures better than the Modi 3 and can be used as a DAC with either the L30 or the Magni 3+

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle is the OEM version of the S8. I have used it with the L30 and JDS Labs Atom in place of my Topping D50S and could tell no difference. The Sonata HD Pro is often available for around $40. Here is my review https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/ibmnnf

Top Bottom