• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Well Paul by his own regular admission is full of it. However having another company embrace posting of measurments is positive for audio. Baby steps :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just today there were a couple guys slagging off about Amir's Klippel measurements of pro audio monitors on gearslutz. Same old complaints by the clueless. Mainly because they don't like the idea listening pros can be upstaged by measuring gear. This isn't necessarily the prevailing attitude at gearslutz, but there is a contingent of it. Others there had started a thread pointing to ASR saying these were valuable tests and we needed more of them. Encouraging some with the gear to send it in to Amir.

OP
MakeMineVinyl

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The measurements I've seen in stereophile magazine have been less than stellar. Pun intended.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Anyway, at the end of the day the measurements speak for themselves.

Measurements say absolutely nothing without conditions specified and consistent, correct, interpretation applied afterwards. That is all Paul McGowan is saying. I agree with him. One thing I am not, is a sycophant.

P.S. I have no dog in this fight. I own no PS Audio gear, don't really aspire to it, but I'll accept a free BHK power amplifier anytime you're giving one away. ;)

It's just the boring and relentless attacks on what is a successful, respected, manufacturer, employer and long time player in the high fidelity field that makes certain parts of this "hobby" so unattractive.

People sit behind their screens and have pile-on, just like a gutless schoolyard fight, and yet if they had the chance to go see the factory, the people and the products, they'd be singing a completely different tune.

But it's OK, at the next Audio Show where both you and PSA are exhibiting, you can tell him in person, at the bar, how much "nonsense"* he talks and what a "moron"** he is. That should be funny to watch and a lot braver than from behind an internet connection.

Your quotes. Posts #18 and #13

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Measurements say absolutely nothing without conditions specified and consistent, correct, interpretation applied afterwards. That is all Paul McGowan is saying. I agree with him. One thing I am not, is a sycophant.

P.S. I have no dog in this fight. I own no PS Audio gear, don't really aspire to it, but I'll accept a free BHK power amplifier anytime you're giving one away. ;)

It's just the boring and relentless attacks on what is a successful, respected, manufacturer, employer and long time player in the high fidelity field that makes certain parts of this "hobby" so unattractive.

People sit behind their screens and have pile-on, just like a gutless schoolyard fight, and yet if they had the chance to go see the factory, the people and the products, they'd be singing a completely different tune.

But it's OK, at the next Audio Show where both you and PSA are exhibiting, you can tell him in person, at the bar, how much "nonsense"* he talks and what a "moron"** he is. That should be funny to watch and a lot braver than from behind an internet connection.

Your quotes. Posts #18 and #13
Give over John, Paul clearly stated that Amir doesn't know what he is doing with all that implies. There was nothing ambiguous about his comments or the intent.

"he is not that skilled"

"we should publish AP measurements, but done correctly"

The reality is that PSA are concerned about the fact that ASR has exposed their products to be decidedly average in technical performance (see above). They are not technically competitive which puts their VFM in a different perspective. Paul has gone on the attack to defend. Ironically by doing so stimulates discussion such as this which only damages PSA.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Give over John, Paul clearly stated that Amir doesn't know what he is doing with all that implies. There was nothing ambiguous about his comments or the intent.

"he is not that skilled"

At least he tries,.......... Oh well.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, what struck me is that he went out of his way to disparage somebody else. That was unwarranted as far as I'm concerned. He should just do his video and not editorialize about anybody else.

And the membership of ASR hasn't been doing that in this public forum for several years? Hypocritical, much?

It is warranted, particularly where certain categories of product are tested in a manner inconsistent with industry norms and interpretation varies from review to review. I have been critical of this in the past particularly with amplification products. But it is what it is.

I think Amir does his absolute best with the time he has, and the products he reviews. I really do. But criticism from industry luminaries is fair game and should be encouraged.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
And the membership of ASR hasn't been doing that in this public forum for several years? Hypocritical, much?

It is warranted, particularly where certain categories of product are tested in a manner inconsistent with industry norms and interpretation varies from review to review. I have been critical of this in the past particularly with amplification products. But it is what it is.

I think Amir does his absolute best with the time he has, and the products he reviews. I really do. But criticism from industry luminaries is fair game and should be encouraged.
John, there are a few things to quibble about in the testing that we both agree about, but also some we don't.

However there is nothing in the testing that indicates Amir doesn't know what he is doing, or that would fundamentally change the result of the tests or comparative conclusions.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

"he is not that skilled"

If you are going to quote, do it properly. Do not cherry pick or adjust the quote to suit yourself.

"He is not all that skilled in what he is doing, but, but he tries."

"We also ought to put all the proper, ah, Audio Precision measurements- 'cos we have the same equipment. And, but it's done correctly"

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He doesn't need to. A public data slanging match with an internet review website is not constructive. Not sure why people are always looking for a cockfight with PS Audio, they've been producing gear for many decades and have clearly a wonderful operation full of extremely talented people.

It just gets really tiresome, the attacks on PSA. I think it's pathetic to be honest. Either buy their stuff or don't.

We are grown men, not a bunch of silly little internet bullies.

You are dead wrong on this one. This isn't a forum response to a question on the PS Audio blog - this is a You Tube video, it is social media. Anything he says is fair game, and I have no doubt Paul knows this.

He clearly enjoyed throwing shade on ASR in this video, so we are certainly entitled to sling some mud back and enjoy it. Nobody's talking about each other's mothers, nobody is threatening violence - it is harmless.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If you are going to quote, do it properly. Do not cherry pick or adjust the quote to suit yourself.

"He is not all that skilled in what he is doing, but, but he tries."

"We also ought to put all the proper, ah, Audio Precision measurements- 'cos we have the same equipment. And, but it's done correctly"
So what do you interpret from the comments, and how would your quote change that interpretation from mine?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
John, there are a few things to quibble about in the testing that we both agree about, but also some we don't.

However there is nothing in the testing that indicates Amir doesn't know what he is doing, or that would fundamentally change the result of the tests, or comparative conclusions.

Yes, I agree. We differ in some areas. :)

I do think however, more comprehensive testing of amplification is and has been warranted for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom