• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M10 Streaming Amplifier Review

Brian6751

Spotify integrated fine when I tried out the Node. Here are the services that you can use with BluOS:
After I opened the Spotify app, I went back into BlueOS and it shows whats playing on Spotify and I can Play/Pause/Skip and change volume but cannot go through genres, artists and playlists etc. inside the BlueOS app like I can with Tidal or Qobuz.

If I hit the three vertical dots, it asks me to open the Spotify app

So It seems like Spotify works with the BlueOS app the same way Roon does. Minimal control.

Vasr

Major Contributor
home audio equipment is all lifestyle product. I have always found that term rather silly. Many people want to listen to music and/or hear their TV through the same elegant device. The smaller,simpler and less imposing the better. That's why soundbars are a hot selling category.

Not everyone gets aroused looking at 100 pound metal boxes in their living room. They want to hear the sounds, not look at the gear.

Only people who buy lifestyle products find it a silly term. :)

But seriously, it is a conscious concept in product design and pricing decisions for products by manufacturers. Lifestyle products command a premium price for that very reason that it has orthogonal appeal beyond the primary function with a characteristic that it fits a particular lifestyle e.g., minimalism, design, color schemes, curb appeal, conversation starters for guests, ostentatious needs, interior harmony, validation of having "made it", bragging rights, etc (without passing a value judgment). Often but not always function/price can be compromised for form. The more it is compromised, more in the Lifestyle category.

This is simply saying it is at the other end of the spectrum from utilitarian that would be criterion for other people (will sacrifice form for function/price). Audio equipment fall somewhere in that spectrum but some are more easily categorized than others to be towards either end.

I see nothing wrong with it. Everybody buys some lifestyle products and some utilitarian depending on their circumstances and need. As long as people don't go for lifestyle products that are beyond their means...

Lifestyle isn't a synonym for discretionary in that all audio equipment is typically discretionary.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
the other option I’m considering is a mindsp shd + a nc252mp based amp. Not as convenient because it needs a usb connection and laptop, but the performance will probably be way above this.

That is my “office” set up (except Studio version) with Paradigm Prestige B15s. All in about $1600 plus speakers.

Last edited:

TimoJ

The performance of NCore modules depends a lot of the power supply, but there might be other issues. Many inputs and it's a complex design for such a small box. Doesn't mean it's acceptable.
If this is using NC252MP, that module has a build-in power supply. So NAD's preamp/buffer circuits are the weak point.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have any insight with regard to this amp preventing Amir from testing the burst power? I think if the M10 can truly provide the specified dynamic power (8 ohms: 160 W, 4 ohms: 300 W) then it looks a lot better.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Just for fun, I was trying to build a system that would get you as close as possible to these functionalities for the cheapest possible ways using all separates.
The cheapest NC252 MP amp I found was from audiophonics and it was -555 USD.
For Dirac, the equivalent processor looks like ddrc 22D -700 USD
Bluesound node 2i 650 USD
A cheap DAC -I chose for reference the e30 -125 USD

at this point I was already past 2k, and I have to say I've bumped a wall.

-How Am I gonna get 2 extra analog inputs going trough dirac
-How am I gonna, post dirac and conversion, get to route a separate signal to my subs
-How am I gonna get the HDMI signal of my TV in my sound system

Basically, I was not able to build this feature set, any ideas? to me It definitely shows the relevance of a product like that, It definetly looks and feel better than this equipment list + the front display is not only nice, it's a feature that you can't just "Add".

Then I was looking at my own chain, A schitt Freya, A Bluesound node (1st gen) a e30 dac a couple of nc 500 diy mono blocs, I'm past 2700 by a good margin, still all these items can be considered cost conscious choices. Yes all these perform better than the internals version in the M10. But does it sound better? Honestly, without room correction, I think not, It is my belief that room correction would make a much more audible upgrade than any 5-10 dB SINAD gain, even tough I am quite satisfied with how it sounds, and there is no particular problems with my room. I believe dsp is key and we should embrace it. Not everybody can have a dedicated, well acoustically treated room.
So my 2 cents It's not just a "Lifestyle" product, it's a smart product, can't beat that kind of convenience, feature set, form factor, not the whole of it.

Timbo2

I can aver that it works seamlessly with Amazon HD and various streaming radio and podcast services.

Being able to pull in whatever music strikes my fancy, change sources, change volume, change tone, and change target EQ functions, all at a tap of my phone, makes music listening a real joy. BluOS is even more useful for multi-room and multi-device control, but that's not something relevant to my setup.

Not to completely derail this thread - have you used HEOS which is widely available on the D&M products? Seems to be similar in function to BluOS. It would seem to give you a similar experience albeit with Audessey correction instead of Dirac. The advantage here would be more equipment and price points to choose.

Funny enough I have HEOS on my new Dennon, but couldn't be bothered to set up as I do all my streaming from my HTPC to the Dennon.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Not to completely derail this thread - have you used HEOS which is widely available on the D&M products? Seems to be similar in function to BluOS. It would seem to give you a similar experience albeit with Audessey correction instead of Dirac. The advantage here would be more equipment and price points to choose.

Funny enough I have HEOS on my new Dennon, but couldn't be bothered to set up as I do all my streaming from my HTPC to the Dennon.
I do not. Perhaps I should ask for a review sample...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for fun, I was trying to build a system that would get you as close as possible to these functionalities for the cheapest possible ways using all separates.

-How am I gonna, post dirac and conversion, get to route a separate signal to my subs

Basically, I was not able to build this feature set, any ideas? to me It definitely shows the relevance of a product like that, It definetly looks and feel better than this equipment list + the front display is not only nice, it's a feature that you can't just "Add".

Then I was looking at my own chain, A schitt Freya, A Bluesound node (1st gen) a e30 dac a couple of nc 500 diy mono blocs, I'm past 2700 by a good margin, still all these items can be considered cost conscious choices. Yes all these perform better than the internals version in the M10. But does it sound better? Honestly, without room correction, I think not, It is my belief that room correction would make a much more audible upgrade than any 5-10 dB SINAD gain, even tough I am quite satisfied with how it sounds, and there is no particular problems with my room. I believe dsp is key and we should embrace it. Not everybody can have a dedicated, well acoustically treated room.
So my 2 cents It's not just a "Lifestyle" product, it's a smart product, can't beat that kind of convenience, feature set, form factor, not the whole of it.
Nice write up which does show the relative value these kind of products bring. I would say in the building the same functionality would be:
$1200 MiniDSP SHD
$600 audiophinics nc252 stereo amp
Roon (lifetime is $699 if not a subscriber). Voluminio may work fine for some but it didn’t for me.
Of course you would then have the option to go nc502 or purifi also. While some discount the easier setup of the NAD, I wouldn’t. It does take time to get it set up. Once set up the SHD is a great all in one but I can see how the Nad M10 would be very appealing.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does anyone have any insight with regard to this amp preventing Amir from testing the burst power? I think if the M10 can truly provide the specified dynamic power (8 ohms: 160 W, 4 ohms: 300 W) then it looks a lot better.

If we can accept 1% THD as the distortion limit, it goes well past 160W.

Figure 2 THD+N vs Power.png

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we can accept 1% THD as the distortion limit, it goes well past 160W.

View attachment 79855
True, but also how far past 100W in burst mode can it go without any clipping? I would be interested to know. @John Atkinson did not have anything on dynamic power in the Stereophile measurements either. Did he run into the same issue as Amir did trying to do this?

Soundstage

600 for Blue OS when you have a chrome cast for 40? And optical out of your tv instead and coax from chrome cast etc. For a pure stereo you have a competitive system for half the price.
The only valid reason for the Nad is Dirac bass Management which I don’t think is there yet anyway...

Vasr

Major Contributor

As pointed out above, the SHD is a better one to start with.

But this is like the arguments for or against building a PC vs buying a branded one.

Convenience vs customizability to one's needs (or alternatively better specs for a similar price) if one is willing to do the work.

The main reason these kinds of comparisons are not very useful is because it ignores the fact that not everyone uses every feature of a device (the M10 or a PC) to do a feature-by-feature clone. If you could make a case with feature-by-feature clone, then NAD product management would have done a bad job.

The amp, Dirac, Streaming capability is the core common usage for tis unit. The rest varies by whether you need the feature and if you did can you do better? Would you really use the analog inputs here given the performance of the ADC or can you get a better one that has a better sampling rate if you really needed an analog input? For some, not having a physical remote control is a showstopper. For some, that is the future.

Being labeled "lifestyle" seems to be bothering you. Apologies for bringing that up. :)

D

Deleted member 19195

Only people who buy lifestyle products find it a silly term. :)

But seriously, it is a conscious concept in product design and pricing decisions for products by manufacturers. Lifestyle products command a premium price for that very reason that it has orthogonal appeal beyond the primary function with a characteristic that it fits a particular lifestyle e.g., minimalism, design, color schemes, curb appeal, conversation starters for guests, ostentatious needs, interior harmony, validation of having "made it", bragging rights, etc (without passing a value judgment). Often but not always function/price can be compromised for form. The more it is compromised, more in the Lifestyle category.

This is simply saying it is at the other end of the spectrum from utilitarian that would be criterion for other people (will sacrifice form for function/price). Audio equipment fall somewhere in that spectrum but some are more easily categorized than others to be towards either end.

I see nothing wrong with it. Everybody buys some lifestyle products and some utilitarian depending on their circumstances and need. As long as people don't go for lifestyle products that are beyond their means...

Lifestyle isn't a synonym for discretionary in that all audio equipment is typically discretionary.

Interesting. I see the opposite.

I think the bolded is the opposite of reality. It is the audiophile who spends needlessly on bling and gaining online cred from other audiophiles.

Buying antiquated technology like class A amps, or record players, or vacuum tube buffers, or multi thousand dollar external DACS and building a quarter-ton shrine of gear in the middle of your living space, is not utilitarian. It is a fetish or romanticism. It is, sometimes in the eyes of the fetishist, a status symbol. It is the audiophile who alternates tweaking his vacuum tubes and tweaking his nipples.

The pragmatist seeks an efficient, practical solution. They want a product that does the job whithout dominating their space, and they want it at a sensible price. 'Lifestyle' most often is a patronizing term used online by audiophiles to dismiss products bought by non-cultists.

PeteL

Major Contributor
600 for Blue OS when you have a chrome cast for 40? And optical out of your tv instead and coax from chrome cast etc. For a pure stereo you have a competitive system for half the price.
The only valid reason for the Nad is Dirac bass Management which I don’t think is there yet anyway...
A quick search for ChromeCast I only see this https://store.google.com/ca/product/chromecast_ultra_specs, It's 90 $, HDMI out only (no coax). I believe the one you are refering to is discontinued. but yes it would work for some. To me Tidal support is important, not for everybody I know, Yes the M10 have a HDMI in, if you need, but it doesn't need a TV to function, I would find it a bit on to need my tv to just stream music. I have to say I never really used it, but I had mixed opinion from my friends that have used it, they were telling me it's fine with spotify, and youtube, but for everything else not so much, but I get that it could be totally sufficient for some. I get that wireless only is ok too, I prefer an Ethernet connection but maybe the rationale for it is not really justified in term of performance, I lack experience with it, but if you say it's competitive it is indeed a good price.

Top Bottom