• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Apologies for the long post. I hoped putting this in writing would help clarify things and I wouldn’t have to ask, but alas….

I am planning to make a series of upgrades over the next few months, and one decision has been a problem for me. I have had my eye on the Anthem STR Integrated since it came out, but after the time I’ve spent on this site I’m in doubt about its performance. The other option I’m considering is a MiniDSP SHD with a pair of Purifi monoblocks.

My biggest fear with this purchase is, if I were to go with the Anthem, would I constantly wonder if it could sound better for the same amount of money? The MiniDSP/Purifi combo would alleviate that fear, but I am put off by the complexity of the MiniDSP (more on that below). So, I’ve laid out my reasoning and questions below in case anyone is bored and wants to read a bunch.

Cost: close enough not to be an issue (the Anthem is on sale regularly for $3600 USD).

Aesthetics: I like the Anthem better and it will reduce clutter and number of cables.

Room Correction: It appears that Anthem Room Correction is less robust than Dirac Live, but probably more user-friendly. I haven’t seen anyone directly compare the two in any detail. Would I be missing out on any essential features by going with ARC over Dirac+MiniDSP?

User Experience: I’ve read through the MiniDSP SHD manual a couple of times (https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD Series User Manual.pdf), and there is so much there I don’t understand, and probably will never use (back-end processing? Custom biquad programming? I have to tell it which output is “Right” and which is “Left” and then remember that to make adjustments later?). I imagine this flexibility is a boon to some, but it seems like a lot of work and research before I could even use it. It’s a little overwhelming. I’m sure I can do it, but all I'm doing is plugging in 2 sources and 2 speakers. I know lots of people here have used the MiniDSP products, so if I’m wrong about the complexity please let me know.

Performance: UGH! This is where I need the most help.

Preamp: After reading some other threads on ASR I think I can ascertain that the digital inputs of the Anthem STR Integrated preamp section would have a SINAD in the high 90s (https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-integrated-amplifier/page=specs). This is good enough for me compared to the 110 or so that the MiniDSP showed in Amir’s measurements (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-minidsp-shd-dac-dsp-and-streamer.4286/). I would only use the digital and phono inputs (or one analog in the MiniDSP for a phono pre).

Anthem STR Integrated preamp specs:

1596724598123.png

Amplifier: Stereophile measured the Anthem STR Integrated (https://www.stereophile.com/content/anthem-electronics-str-da-integrated-amplifier-measurements) and Amir measured the Purifi amp (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/), but I cannot find much to compare in those two sets of measurements. I think the following comparisons are instructive, and I’ll comment, but PLEASE don’t hesitate to correct me where necessary.

Anthem THD+N vs power into 4 ohms:

1596724646148.png

Purifi THD+N vs power into 4 ohms:

1596724677406.png

The Anthem appears to have about 75 more watts available (looking at the point of lowest distortion), but the Purifi is an order of magnitude better in THD+N%. But what exactly is better? Is it just less noise? Ten times less noise? This looks very impressive from a science/engineering standpoint, but I have no idea what that should mean to me as a consumer.

Anthem THD+N vs Frequency at 20volts (=50watts into 8ohms, 100watts into 4ohms, 200watts into 2ohms)

1596724757498.png

Purifi THD+N into 4ohms various wattages

1596724781986.png

Aside from the channel mismatch in the Anthem (is that significant?), the two look pretty similar to me. Since the Anthem was measured at 100watts, I am extrapolating that the Purifi at 100watts would fall between the 33 and 193watt measurements shown by Amir. Is the rise in distortion above 7kHz in the Purifi just because of noise shaping? In the audible bandwidth would it be flat? Is that a noteworthy difference in performance?

Anthem IMD 100watts per channel

1596724819173.png

Purifi IMD no pregain, unknown other parameters (I assume the same as Stereophile? Or it doesn’t matter? Or it’s there somewhere and I missed it?)

1596724849212.png

Here it looks like the IMD is about 20dB better in the Purifi amplifier. However, since the noise floor appears to be lower in the Anthem which doesn’t correlate to other measurements, assuming similar test conditions seems like a mistake. What does this mean to a consumer? Will I hear a difference?

There is a lot more information in both sets of measurements, but I don’t know how to compare the rest (if it is even possible). I could probably solve my problem by getting the Anthem STR Preamp with the Purifi monos, but that will blow past my budget unless anyone knows where I can get the preamp for a 65% discount. I realize also that several variations of the Hypex amps are available for less than the Purifi, but that would still be too much. The NAD M33 is interesting, but also too expensive and not much for measurements available.

If you read this far, thanks! I hope to learn something from this that I can use for more than just this one decision.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I would defer to the more technically astute, but I have the SHD + power amp and have been happy with my decision.

Also, you should consider what room correction system you are going with: Dirac (SHD) or ARC (Anthem). I believe Dirac gets better reviews. I have been happy with Dirac FWIW. That decision may very well have more impact on overall sound quality than the differences in SINAD, etc.

HTH, YMMV, IMHO, etc.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
What features do you need?

Room correction
Digital inputs (usb or spdif)
Phono or analog inputs
Powerful enough that I won’t have to worry about it
Useful remote control
A display with volume and input info
Reliable (so NAD preamp is out—too many issues posted around the web along with the not-great measurements on this forum)

I don’t have plans to use a subwoofer for now
I will stream from another source
Don’t need to access a NAS device
Don’t need BT, WiFi, etc
Current budget allows up to $4k with tax, shipping, etc. but happy to pay less.

I’m probably forgetting something.

carlob

Forum Donor
I mean, with the SHD you run Dirac as for every other dirac enabled device. I don't think you want to generate your own parametric eq with rew right? So leave alone custom biquad etc, you want Dirac and that is straightforward.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
One thing: look at an image of the back of the SHD and see if it actually has enough inputs for you (e.g. usb/spdif).
Also, the older remote did not shut off the unit. I believe the new one puts it on standby.
Thanks for the suggestions. The MiniDSP has enough inputs; I just need one SPDF, one USB, and one rca analog. I have included an image of the new remote from their website. I can't tell if that's an illustration or if it's one of those plastic-film-over-buttons types. Since the replacement cost is $7, I'm sure it's no luxury item, but the functionality seems good for my needs. One can also use a Logitech Harmony remote.
1596736052511.png

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've owned both a miniDSP dirac live DDRC-22D and an anthem STR preamp. As an all in one device the Anthem STR is great and does everything I need , handling room correction, crossover and has the best implementation of HT bypass that I've found. I've got great results with both Dirac Live and ARC genesis so no preference there (but the ARC sub phase adjustment is pretty slick). That being said, I'm chasing SINAD, not that I can hear any noise or distortion with the STR and might switch to an Okto DAC8 pro and MiniDSP SHD Studio that I have on order if I can kludge together a trigger controlled HT bypass solution (more coming on that).

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go the Minidsp SHD + Purifi route regardless of measured performance. Dirac is seriously good and it's far easier to sell both the MiniDsp and Purifi compared to the Anthem.

No offence, but if Dirac is too complicated for some people, I'm impressed they manage to get out of bed by themselves in the morning.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go the Minidsp SHD + Purifi route regardless of measured performance. Dirac is seriously good and it's far easier to sell both the MiniDsp and Purifi compared to the Anthem.

No offence, but if Dirac is too complicated for some people, I'm impressed they manage to get out of bed by themselves in the morning.
Disagree on the resale, Anthem is more widely known so there is a broader market.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Must be somewhere on the outskirts of the world you're talking about, somewhere like America, United States or something of the sort. Here in Norway there's no power behind the Anthem brand :D

Absolute, would have guessed you are from Sweden.

A.West

Forum Donor
Chasing SINAD beyond audibility, which for the keenest eared is probably 75db to 80db, seems irrational. Differences in room correction is easily audible. As is the bass extension a subwoofer provides, alongside the potential major reduction in distortion most speakers exhibit at low frequencies- many showing 5% to 10% THD.
Having clean extended bass that is well corrected in room is 1000x more audible than 0.02% THD vs 0.002% THD.
But if you are in an apartment with complaining neighbors, maybe you don't want bass. I just think that reading Amir's reviews can potentially skew priorities about audible cost/benefit analysis. Consider the fable of the man searching for his car keys under the parking lot light.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_effect
A lot of light gets cast here on a few things, but not necessarily weighted on the most audible things.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor

:p It isn't that Dirac looks too complicated, but setting up the MiniDSP SHD initially. The comments in this thread have been reassuring in that regard. For example, section 6.3 in the user manual describes features available like the routing matrix, input selection, output levels...so does that mean I have to configure the output of each channel for each source before I start? They give no explanation of the feature or instructions, just a list.

Judging from the responses here, it seems like I'm worried about nothing. If Dirac just auto-sets all of these (like a modern AVR?) then no sweat.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chasing SINAD beyond audibility, which for the keenest eared is probably 75db to 80db, seems irrational. Differences in room correction is easily audible. As is the bass extension a subwoofer provides, alongside the potential major reduction in distortion most speakers exhibit at low frequencies- many showing 5% to 10% THD.
Having clean extended bass that is well corrected in room is 1000x more audible than 0.02% THD vs 0.002% THD.
But if you are in an apartment with complaining neighbors, maybe you don't want bass. I just think that reading Amir's reviews can potentially skew priorities about audible cost/benefit analysis. Consider the fable of the man searching for his car keys under the parking lot light.
A lot of light gets cast here on a few things, but not necessarily weighted on the most audible things.
Irrational maybe but I appreciate good engineering and the cost is inconsequential. I don’t live in an apartment and already have dual powerful subs, bass management and room correction. Don’t think I could spend money on better speakers(revel Salon 2) , better subs (given size constraints) (jl113v2 pair) , better cables ( Canare/neutrik), or a better amp (AHB2), so chasing SINAD it is!

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor

I agree, and that's why I'm asking. I like that this is a site more dedicated to engineering excellence than "sound quality," and I'm hoping to learn some things through my specific questions that help me A) make an informed purchasing decision, but also B) allow me to better understand how to read and compare measurements in the future. I want to understand enough to both read these reviews correctly and use the information.

So with regard to your comment about SINAD, let's say 80db is a good threshold. How does the amp section in the Anthem integrated measure up? I don't have the skills to tell if it is even possible to estimate what the SINAD of that would be based on the Stereophile measurements.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I have the STR integrated and their STR preamp as well. I do not hear a difference between them and the integrated, as you mention, is more convenient (cables, number of boxes). I do not know of any evidence that Dirac is better than the new ARC Genesis; the latter is very easy to use and very powerful if you have the knowledge to do some tweaking. I guess I would ask how important subwoofers are; I don't know the capabilities of the minDSP but the Anthem provides 2 sub outs and with ARC you can configure them as one sub in mono, two separate subs in mono or two separate subs in stereo. Great fun creating profiles with each configuration and listening for differences. Also, ARC Genesis will phase match your sub(s) to your mains. Again, I am not familiar with the capabilities of the miniDSP. I've sold a lot of Anthem gear (privately) over the years and it's a breeze to sell, great customer support, excellent reputation, and the ARC feature is a great selling point.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, and that's why I'm asking. I like that this is a site more dedicated to engineering excellence than "sound quality," and I'm hoping to learn some things through my specific questions that help me A) make an informed purchasing decision, but also B) allow me to better understand how to read and compare measurements in the future. I want to understand enough to both read these reviews correctly and use the information.

So with regard to your comment about SINAD, let's say 80db is a good threshold. How does the amp section in the Anthem integrated measure up? I don't have the skills to tell if it is even possible to estimate what the SINAD of that would be based on the Stereophile measurements.
What speakers do you use?
which subs. And how many? Do they have dual inputs?
do you want to integrate home theater?

this could help narrow it down a bit.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I have the STR integrated and their STR preamp as well. I do not hear a difference between them and the integrated, as you mention, is more convenient (cables, number of boxes). I do not know of any evidence that Dirac is better than the new ARC Genesis; the latter is very easy to use and very powerful if you have the knowledge to do some tweaking. I guess I would ask how important subwoofers are; I don't know the capabilities of the minDSP but the Anthem provides 2 sub outs and with ARC you can configure them as one sub in mono, two separate subs in mono or two separate subs in stereo. Great fun creating profiles with each configuration and listening for differences. Also, ARC Genesis will phase match your sub(s) to your mains. Again, I am not familiar with the capabilities of the miniDSP. I've sold a lot of Anthem gear (privately) over the years and it's a breeze to sell, great customer support, excellent reputation, and the ARC feature is a great selling point.
It's a small room and subwoofers will not be in use, at least for the short term.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
What speakers do you use?
which subs. And how many? Do they have dual inputs?
do you want to integrate home theater?

this could help narrow it down a bit.
Once I start buying things, speakers are going to be Revel f208 or Kef r7 (whichever I can get a better deal on probably--I have no local dealers for either and will probably not get a chance to compare them). Not using subs, just a 2.0 stereo setup. No need for HT bypass or anything like that.

Top Bottom