• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
Actually, the manufacturer makes this silly claim (my translation): "CD, DVD and bluray discs are made of polycarbonate, which has dipole groups that can be polarized, which affects the refractive index, ie an optical property that affects the disc so that it becomes easier to read for record players with the obvious sound improvement that occurs."

Sadly enough, about five local esoteric hifi/audiophoolery retailers carry this junk, sells at about USD 150.
It's true that the discs are made of polycarbonate. I don't know about dipole groups, but the rest is obviously nonsense. Surely they would have chosen a different material if PC was so troublesome.

magicscreen

I have used this for my CD. It sounds audibly better now. As different as chalk and cheese.
cleaning-duster-500x500.jpg

JSHamlet234

I have used this for my CD. It sounds audibly better now. As different as chalk and cheese.

Are those natural fibers or synthetic? I've always found that the natural fiber dusters give a warmer sound with a lot more meat on the bones. Sometimes you can get away with just using a natural fiber pre-duster, but that's up for debate.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
cleaning-duster-500x500.jpg
I saw those for sale in a sex toy catolog. :p

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A well-loved English comedian, Ken Dodd, made a career out of the Tickling Stick. He might have done much better if he'd suggested it would improve your HiFi rather than just your love life.

T2A18B.jpg

Last edited:

magicscreen

Are those natural fibers or synthetic? I've always found that the natural fiber dusters give a warmer sound with a lot more meat on the bones. Sometimes you can get away with just using a natural fiber pre-duster, but that's up for debate.
I was serious. My CD was dusty and sounded distorted. But after removing the dust it was perfect sounding.
Anyway it was an interesting case.
I played the Beatles - Wild Honey Pie track. It was good. And played some other CDs. And the Wild Honey Pie again. And sounded extremely distorted! May be skipping little parts of the track too.
I was afraid the CD player went wrong because it was 30 years old.
Then I saw the dust on the surface. Phew.

Last edited:

JSHamlet234

I was serious. My CD was dusty and sounded distorted. But after removing the dust it was perfect sounding.
Anyway it was an interesting case.
I played the Beatles - Wild Honey Pie track. It was good. And played some other CDs. And the Wild Honey Pie again. And sounded extremely distorted! May be skipping little parts of the track too.
I was afraid the CD player went wrong because it was 30 years old.
Then I saw the dust on the surface. Phew.

It must have been cheap dust. I prefer to lightly coat my CDs with audiophile-grade polypropylene dust. It really expands the soundstage.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It must have been cheap dust. I prefer to lightly coat my CDs with audiophile-grade polypropylene dust. It really expands the soundstage.
100% Carbon-13 content is best, you know.
Deuterium in place of the protium found in cheap polypropylene is really good, too -- Really crystallizes the soundstage the system throws.

:rolleyes:

1597543246040.png

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Actually, the manufacturer makes this silly claim (my translation): "CD, DVD and bluray discs are made of polycarbonate, which has dipole groups that can be polarized, which affects the refractive index, ie an optical property that affects the disc so that it becomes easier to read for record players with the obvious sound improvement that occurs."

Sadly enough, about five local esoteric hifi/audiophoolery retailers carry this junk, sells at about USD 150.

so, basically it's some next level orgone esotheric machinations goning on there?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor

i would have needed that some 20 years ago when burnt cd's couldn't be read on all players :facepalm:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
And, um.. about removing the whole fuse function from those...

Just as I think I'v seen it all, the dumb gets dumber. It should probably be: "The principle of the design is to let you burn your house down and make your insurance company laugh at your face" :rolleyes:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I (almost literally) stumbled across this Rodrigues cartoon today whilst poring through old backups of stuff looking for (of course) something else entirely.

I thought it amusing enough to share. :)

1598487633803.png

Top Bottom