• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophoolery humour thread

eeeper

This thread has made my jaw drop in utter disbelief a few times, cable elevators marketing BS is exquisitely crafted marketing vomit on par with the bowl resonators from a buddhist temple. I can't believe there are people that buy into this stuff.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I remember years ago hearing a comic on TV (I think it might've been "Gallagher") deliver the following bon mot (more or less).

"I wish they had a knob on my TV that would let you turn the intelligence level up. I tried the one labeled brightness, but it didn't help... "

Sounds more like a Steven Wright line to me...

What's another word for Thesaurus?

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out.

---

Gallagher was more into smashing foodstuffs with his Sledge-O-Matic.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sounds more like a Steven Wright line to me...

What's another word for Thesaurus?

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.

For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out.

---

Gallagher was more into smashing foodstuffs with his Sledge-O-Matic.
It wasn't Steven Wright, who (and y'all probably won't be surprised by this) is one of my very most favoritest of all. :)

I put some spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

In my house there's this light switch that doesn't do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check. Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in Madagascar. She said, 'Cut it out.'

It was a someone with a much more manic personality. I really do believe it was very early Gallagher (it was a long time ago).
EDIT: Steven Wright's style is more evocative of Eeyore on Quāāludes, I'd opine. ;)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mansr

Major Contributor
Over on audiogon they bestow magical properties on power cords by calling them power chords. They must have heard of this term in a review of some classic rock band :cool:
Maybe they string their guitars with power cords.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks!
:cool:

You know -- and I am not being facetious! -- I never thought of googling it! :oops:
I do like the joke, though, no matter where it came from.

as an aside: Steven Wright is a national treasure, in my book -- but, then again, I was a Masshole Bay Stater for a long time, so I am biased.

Hmmm... probably time to get back to the serious business of making fun of audiophiles!
I would posit that, on the average, no one was better at it than Charles Rodrigues (speaking of Bay Staters).

1596543837281.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Colonel Bogey

So basically... a "CD demagnetizer", except they're not even claiming that it changes any real physical properties at all? Well, at least their claims cannot be refuted as such, thanks to placebo effect and expectation bias.

Actually, the manufacturer makes this silly claim (my translation): "CD, DVD and bluray discs are made of polycarbonate, which has dipole groups that can be polarized, which affects the refractive index, ie an optical property that affects the disc so that it becomes easier to read for record players with the obvious sound improvement that occurs."

Sadly enough, about five local esoteric hifi/audiophoolery retailers carry this junk, sells at about USD 150.

Top Bottom