• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

dpippel

Was in the same boat as you, debating what AMP/DAC to get... at the end of the day the THX amps are very similar to each other. I hear the Monoprice 887 has wider soundstage? o_O

This was my experience. It was quite noticeable. Surprising to be honest. I ended up keeping the Monolith, even though I really liked the M200/SP200 stack better from an aesthetic point of view.

Last edited:

Nooborghini

This was my experience. It was quite noticeable. Surprising to be honest. I ended up keeping the Monolith, even though I really liked the M200/SP200 stack better from an aesthetic point of view.

Wow is that right? Even at the same volume it has wider/larger? How is that possible?

dpippel

Wow is that right? Even at the same volume it has wider/larger? How is that possible?

Unknown. Perhaps one of those subjective reactions we've all read about. ;) At any rate, the difference was there for me, whether it was objective or not. Since I *really* wanted to keep the SP200, I don't think it was confirmation bias. I just accepted what I was hearing, made the decision, and moved on. Now I'm enjoying my new headphone rig.

Nooborghini

Unknown. Perhaps one of those subjective reactions we've all read about. ;) At any rate, the difference was there for me, whether it was objective or not. Since I *really* wanted to keep the SP200, I don't think it was confirmation bias. I just accepted what I was hearing, made the decision, and moved on. Now I'm enjoying my new headphone rig.

Dang I really hope this was not true. Now I have to try it and hope to god that I don't hear a difference or else my stack is ruined!

At any rate, the difference was there for me...
Haha and as it should be as seeing is believing...
well I guess hearing is believing.

MpNormy

Unfortunately, my unit has a very bad channel imbalance when using it with XLR input.

Veri

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, my unit has a very bad channel imbalance when using it with XLR input.
Because of all the gain. Try reducing volume digital, like 50%. Then you should have more play. Or just use SE input... if no noise, it works better this way, better volume control.

MpNormy

Because of all the gain. Try reducing volume digital, like 50%. Then you should have more play. Or just use SE input... if no noise, it works better this way, better volume control.
I tried everything. Even at max volume, is still present (by a lot).

Veri

Master Contributor
I tried everything. Even at max volume, is still present (by a lot).
That is very, very weird. There must be something wrong, possibly with the unit, can you RMA it?

MpNormy

That is very, very weird. There must be something wrong, possibly with the unit, can you RMA it?
Yes, luckily i can. Pretty bummed about it tho, because when used with RCA it works wonderfully.

Nooborghini

I am sorry to hear that :/ hopefully it can be resolved for you ASAP!

How bad is the channel imbalance? How did you verify this unless it was completely apparent like one side is CLEARLY louder than the other.

MpNormy

I am sorry to hear that :/ hopefully it can be resolved for you ASAP!

How bad is the channel imbalance? How did you verify this unless it was completely apparent like one side is CLEARLY louder than the other.
It was apparent. Not subtle at all.

jpanic4

It was apparent. Not subtle at all.
I had a similar issue, I wasn't sure if it was an XLR only issue. But at very low volumes (used for sensitive iems, due to the gain levels), I could also hear the left side coming in before the right side. This is a known issue. I'm assuming RCA (2Vrms) does not have this issue since its outputting at half the Vrms compared to XLR (4.1Vrms) so your volume pot needs to be at a higher level in RCA. Since the pot is at a higher level the channel imbalance would not be an issue. Again all of this is based on my very noob knowledge.

All of this to say that I upgraded to the A90 and will be keeping it for A LONG time. Should be coming in a couple of days!! Still have the M200 but not sure what to do with it.

MpNormy

I had a similar issue, I wasn't sure if it was an XLR only issue. But at very low volumes (used for sensitive iems, due to the gain levels), I could also hear the left side coming in before the right side. This is a known issue. I'm assuming RCA (2Vrms) does not have this issue since its outputting at half the Vrms compared to XLR (4.1Vrms) so your volume pot needs to be at a higher level in RCA. Since the pot is at a higher level the channel imbalance would not be an issue. Again all of this is based on my very noob knowledge.

All of this to say that I upgraded to the A90 and will be keeping it for A LONG time. Should be coming in a couple of days!! Still have the M200 but not sure what to do with it.
I've also ordered a Monoprice THX 887 amp, luckily i can send back the sp200 and ask for a refund.
The problem is still present even if i max out the volume on the amp and adjust it from the dac.

Veri

Master Contributor
The problem is still present even if i max out the volume on the amp and adjust it from the dac.
Darnedest thing about about this, is that this issue does not occur with RCA at max volume right? SO weird.

MpNormy

Darnedest thing about about this, is that this issue does not occur with RCA at max volume right? SO weird.
I lack the knowledge about internal circuitry, so i seriously don't know if it is even possible. I guess they are different inputs, but isn't the amplification the same? When using RCA i can max out the volume, the balance is the exact same across the whole range.

dpippel

I lack the knowledge about internal circuitry, so i seriously don't know if it is even possible. I guess they are different inputs, but isn't the amplification the same? When using RCA i can max out the volume, the balance is the exact same across the whole range.

Irony. ;)

MpNormy

I have an interesting update. Apparently, the problem lies in one of the connectors of the XLR cable. If i change the channel from the DAC, the unbalance stays the same, but if i change the channel from the amp, the unbalance shifts. I've ordered a new set of cables. Tomorrow i'll post an update

Nooborghini

I've also ordered a Monoprice THX 887 amp, luckily i can send back the sp200 and ask for a refund.

let us know about the sound stage difference!

MpNormy

I have an interesting update. Apparently, the problem lies in one of the connectors of the XLR cable. If i change the channel from the DAC, the unbalance stays the same, but if i change the channel from the amp, the unbalance shifts. I've ordered a new set of cables. Tomorrow i'll post an update
Final update, the problem was one of the cables. Now the amp works like a dream.

Nooborghini

Top Bottom