• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Asgard 3 Headphone Amp & DAC Review

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have this Schiit and I am just eager to finish college and get my own place to replace it with something that measures better. I personally don't hear any noticeable distortion with it even with the AK4490 I had to buy (needed an integrated solution {computer analog out pops randomly}, so, for now, no 2-box solution). Looking forward to buying something from Benchmark or RME in the future.

Reactions: PSO

Theriverlethe

I have this Schiit and I am just eager to finish college and get my own place to replace it with something that measures better. I personally don't hear any noticeable distortion with it even with the AK4490 I had to buy (needed an integrated solution {computer analog out pops randomly}, so, for now, no 2-box solution). Looking forward to buying something from Benchmark or RME in the future.

The biggest problem is the card turns a 3.4 watt amp into a >1 watt amp. That’s still quite a lot, so I wouldn’t worry about it unless you don’t have enough gain.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
The biggest problem is the card turns a 3.4 watt amp into a >1 watt amp. That’s still quite a lot, so I wouldn’t worry about it unless you don’t have enough gain.
They can power both my LCD-2 and my HD 800 to loud level at 1 o'clock in low gain, it is so powerful at high gain that you only need to turn the dial to 9 o'clock to have a similar volume. They have headroom to spare.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How accurate was the level matching ? and for both channels ?

I can easily pass a blind test (double blind, ABX whatever) using the exact same amp and pick a specific one when level matching consistently when matching hasn't been done carefully within 1%.

There is blind testing and then there is blind testing.
I suggest to take Amirs challenge, I am sure he will be level matching the amps and will check for proper operation.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a new amplifier is imminent as per this:

"With a soon to come out product, I did seven individual tests double blind in the office with a bunch of our employees. I correctly picked the amp I like seven out of seven times."
Im not sure they have a confusing enough product range.

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think it's mainly aesthetic, although there's also the issue of finding room for the wall-wart and blocking other outlets.
That certainly sounds possible, and maybe it was just a toss away statement, but I would really like to know! Amir?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I notice you have mentioned your like for having the power supply built in before. Is there any technical/usability/safety, etc reason(s) for this? Just curious, but it does seem to be a factor for you.
Convenience. In addition to eliminating the extra dongle to plug in, it makes the unit heavier which is important for a headphone amp.

Theriverlethe

Reactions: trl

odyo

To make a Heresy with Asgard power (single ended) you will need opamps with at least +/-22V rails. (these do exist but not spec'd as high)
The OPA1688 can only be used up to +/-18V rails.
The difference to Heresy is only 3.5dB though (1.5dB for low impedance)

Also to increase power in low impedance headphones you will need more opamps in parallel.
Yeah i think Heresy have enough power. I said Heresy version of Asgard just for the form factor and balanced output and slightly more power to make it look like ''better and bigger''. Also more gentle output for sensitive headphones.
We have done this multiple times at the Schiitr, including myself. With a soon to come out product, I did seven individual tests double blind in the office with a bunch of our employees. I correctly picked the amp I like seven out of seven times. I also did this in a double blind "tube listening" at our listening room where I correctly identified 1 out of 8 6SN7 tubes five times in a row. I get lucky sometimes. :cool:

I am actually trying to move forward with making these double blind tests easier and very transparent. I do think there are individuals that can accurately identify specific audio equipment. I also believe in confirmation bias and the placebo effect. In the end, I am certainly interested in more double blind tests.
I think you guys should do video
And that is what we need to examine. The claim is this amp is too bright and the other too clinical, etc. I want to know if that subjective experience is reliable enough to test frequently. I want to know how many, if any , audio sommeliers we have amongst us.
Invite the youtubers for a big double blind test party. Do a youtube video about it.

T.M.Noble

Audio Company
How accurate was the level matching ? and for both channels ?

I can easily pass a blind test (double blind, ABX whatever) using the exact same amp and pick a specific one when level matching consistently when matching hasn't been done carefully within 1%.

There is blind testing and then there is blind testing.
I suggest to take Amirs challenge, I am sure he will be level matching the amps and will check for proper operation.

All the ABX testing we have ever done was level matched.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then you really should take Amir's offer ;)
It would be like taking candy from a baby.

Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

I hear that if you stand it up on its side, the Asgard opens up and sounds less congested because the phase is now inverted to the full 90 degrees. Can you comment on this?

bboris77

I hear that if you stand it up on its side, the Asgard opens up and sounds less congested because the phase is now inverted to the full 90 degrees. Can you comment on this?

We didn’t even explore the vast possibility of tweaking the sound signature by investing into a $2K+ power cable. Here is an excerpt from a review of a power cable that made me chuckle - it was posted today at HiFi+ website:

"The ZL-5000 maintains a very deft touch on the music, with a strong accent on detail resolution, but not at the expense of warmth or musicality. What I found particularly attractive was the way it could help unmask subtle microdynamic cues in the musical performance, ones that usually lurk at or just below the sonic waterline."

Edit: I think all music equipment reviews should be conducted using properly level-matched blind tests. If the reviewer is not able to get a 7/10 score to pick out a piece of equipment being reviewed over a similar but way cheaper product, they are not allowed to talk about how it sounds. They can talk about the functionality, looks, materials, measured distortion and noise level, but not describe how it sounds. If they are unable to pick out a 2K power cable from a $10 one 70% of the time, describing how it sound ends up being pure fiction.

Last edited:

Theriverlethe

I can't, because I switched to JDS Labs interconnects, which immediately collapsed the soundstage. My desk began to rattle violently and the Asgard vanished. I think I'm stuck in an event horizon. Please confirm if this message gets out.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
We didn’t even explore the vast possibility of tweaking the sound signature by investing into a $2K+ power cable. Here is an excerpt from a review of a power cable that made me chuckle - it was posted today at HiFi+ website:

"The ZL-5000 maintains a very deft touch on the music, with a strong accent on detail resolution, but not at the expense of warmth or musicality. What I found particularly attractive was the way it could help unmask subtle microdynamic cues in the musical performance, ones that usually lurk at or just below the sonic waterline."
This is why I dislike audiophia.

Theriverlethe

Not sure if anyone will ever read this, but a power cord playing music underwater sounds like a bad idea.

Top Bottom