• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey abandoned?

Darvis

As far as I know, XT32 has been introduced in 2010. Ten years is a very long time for not upgrading a software... The only novelty that improved on it was the app, but (if I'm not wrong) it's Denon which has created it.

If you go on their website, it's almost completely absent (there's a vague mention about it somewhere, without explanation or proper pages).

Sooooo, anyone knows if they're still working on that? Or can we consider it's legacy now and that, in time, it will be too obsolete to use?

OP
Darvis

Darvis

So, following on my own post, someone on AVS suggested that Denon just bought it 10 years ago. It doesn't explain why there's no update, but it would explain why Audyssey's website is so shy about it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Darvis

Darvis

Dirac: there's a 2.0 being implemented as of now and a 3.0 in the pipes, as far as I know.

YPAO has got some new versions as well (if I remember well, the version in the 2080 and 3080 is a bit more complex and useful).

MCACC: I have no idea.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Why is Trinnov not used by Marantz/Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer/Onkyo, Arcam. NAD, ...?
Get something better more exciting, attractive to a higher sound clientele during a pandemic where it's safer to stay home. Innovate, expand the audio business, expand market shares, sales. It's the perfect time.

Audyssey XT32 is only left in Marantz/Denon.
Integra/Onkyo have abandoned it, NAD have abandoned it, and few more audio manufacturers.

Today the popular EQ flavors are Dirac Live, TRINNOV Optimizer, ARC, Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect calibration, and few more ...

Both Audyssey and ARC are ten years old.

https://darko.audio/2019/08/ten-ways-to-remove-the-room-with-eq/

Last edited:
OP
Darvis

Darvis

Why is Trinnov not used by Marantz/Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer/Onkyo, Arcam. NAD, ...?
Get something better more exciting, attractive to a higher sound clientele during a pandemic where it's safer to stay home. Innovate, expand the audio business, expand market shares, sales. It's the perfect time.
Trinnov is used in insanely expensive processors, I guess their licencing is equally insanely priced :D

But Pioneer/Onkyo should certainly jump into the Dirac train (and keep their in house solutions for the cheap AVR, like Onkyo used to do in the Audyssey time). Can you imagine a beautiful Pioneer AVR with clean class D amps *and* Dirac? Yummy

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Sherwood Newcastle had Trinnov before, and it was affordable ...
dims

MSRP: $1,800 ... And later on on sale: $900 (some even got very lucky: $600)

Yes, I can see Integra with either Trinnov or Dirac Live.
I can see Pioneer Elite with Dirac Live.
I can see Yamaha with Lyngdorf RoomPerfect.
I can see Marantz with Trinnov.

OP
Darvis

Darvis

Sherwood Newcastle had Trinnov before, and it was affordable ...
dims

MSRP: $1,800 ... And later on on sale: $900 (some even got very lucky: $600)

Yes, I can see Integra with either Trinnov or Dirac Live.
I can see Pioneer Elite with Dirac Live.
I can see Yamaha with Lyngdorf RoomPerfect.
I can see Marantz with Trinnov.
Right!!! I completely forgot that one.

As for your little wish-list, let me tell you candles will be burned and prayers will be said until it becomes reality!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Good reasonably automated DRC is still in it's infancy. Because the general audiophool community has traditionally turned their noses up on any type of tone controls (with the exception of cables, tubes, vinyl, you get it. LOL) it hasn't gotten the development attention it deserves other than in the HT community. I see that stance starting to change now and hope stronger development continues.
The smarter groups like many here know how to measure and do their own DRC in the manual approach such as REW, Acourate, miniDSP, and all the rest, but I'm looking forward to more sophisticated but still automated software from the crews at Audyssey, Dirac, etc.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Right!!! I completely forgot that one.

As for your little wish-list, let me tell you candles will be burned and prayers will be said until it becomes reality!

I'm not much of a dreamer, I was only whispering gently ...

OP
Darvis

Darvis

That's why it was abandoned by a bunch...HDMI compatibility issues.
But Trinnov was sound, and affordable.
It seems to work ok now afaik. I wonder why it's so little used. Maybe they've increased the price from the moment they began to offer their own avr.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
That's why it was abandoned by a bunch...HDMI compatibility issues.
But Trinnov was sound, and affordable.
I disagree. The 2D and 3D re-mapping were audibly flawed compared to more robust implementations of Trinnov that I experienced in Trinnov's own implementations. You could hear the correction signals.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I know, XT32 has been introduced in 2010. Ten years is a very long time for not upgrading a software... The only novelty that improved on it was the app, but (if I'm not wrong) it's Denon which has created it.

If you go on their website, it's almost completely absent (there's a vague mention about it somewhere, without explanation or proper pages).

Sooooo, anyone knows if they're still working on that? Or can we consider it's legacy now and that, in time, it will be too obsolete to use?
Audyssey has be stagnant and they shouldn’t be. The app makes Audyssey very useable but still cumbersome to use. Results can be quite good. But they need to continue to develop:
1-A choice of better/more curves.
2-Ability to save your own curves
3-Apply 1 curve to all speakers
4-Use your own calibrated microphone.
5-Increase to 4 sub outputs
Edit:
6-PC/MAC App

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I disagree. The 2D and 3D re-mapping were audibly flawed compared to more robust implementations of Trinnov that I experienced in Trinnov's own implementations. You could hear the correction signals.
Maybe I misunderstood your comment. In the context of the OP, I thought you were claiming that no new work had been done on Audyssey or ARC in ten years.
Not to worry guys, one or two here just have to run their jaws even when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey has be stagnant and they shouldn’t be. The app makes Audyssey very useable but still cumbersome to use. Results can be quite good. But they need to continue to develop:
1-A choice of better/more curves.
2-Ability to save your own curves
3-Apply 1 curve to all speakers
4-Use your own calibrated microphone.
5-Increase to 4 sub outputs
I have been fairly satisfied with Audyssey. I bought the app and use it on my tablet. That does allow me to experiment with curves and store them.
Not sure what you mean by storing the same curve to all speakers. The idea is to get the balance right at the listening area, surely.
My Marantz came with a microphone so I see no need to use any of my others.

Top Bottom