• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey abandoned?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have been fairly satisfied with Audyssey. I bought the app and use it on my tablet. That does allow me to experiment with curves and store them.
Not sure what you mean by storing the same curve to all speakers. The idea is to get the balance right at the listening area, surely.
My Marantz came with a microphone so I see no need to use any of my others.
+1 on all points

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been fairly satisfied with Audyssey. I bought the app and use it on my tablet. That does allow me to experiment with curves and store them.
Not sure what you mean by storing the same curve to all speakers. The idea is to get the balance right at the listening area, surely.
My Marantz came with a microphone so I see no need to use any of my others.
From what I have read is that you want the same house curve applied to all speakers. For example, if you want your room curve to be -6 from 20hz-20khz. You could then apply that same house curve to all of your speakers. I don’t think it makes sense to have different curves for each speaker. Withe the current app, you have to “redraw” the curve for every speaker pair. This is a waste of time.If you could simply create the curve you want, save it in the app, an then apply it to whatever speaker pair you want would make sense. Or like Dirac, you can group your speakers and apply 1 curve to that group of speakers.
In regards to the microphone... it works fine for the most part, but I don’t think it works that great at higher frequencies. If you could use a calibrated microphone such as the UMIK1-1 the measurements would be much more accurate.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In regards to the microphone... it works fine for the most part, but I don’t think it works that great at higher frequencies. If you could use a calibrated microphone such as the UMIK1-1 the measurements would be much more accurate.
Only if it allowed you to input it's individual calibration. Otherwise the factory mic would be as good as anything.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if it allowed you to input it's individual calibration. Otherwise the factory mic would be as good as anything.
Correct. I also added PC/Mac app to my wishlist making it easier to work with Audyssey and use calibrated MIC.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I have read is that you want the same house curve applied to all speakers. For example, if you want your room curve to be -6 from 20hz-20khz. You could then apply that same house curve to all of your speakers. I don’t think it makes sense to have different curves for each speaker. Withe the current app, you have to “redraw” the curve for every speaker pair. This is a waste of time.If you could simply create the curve you want, save it in the app, an then apply it to whatever speaker pair you want would make sense. Or like Dirac, you can group your speakers and apply 1 curve to that group of speakers.
I am only correcting the complete 5.1 set (I don't have 2 subs but my mains are free field full range -6dB at 26Hz). I didn't even know you could redraw a curve for each speaker pair, how do you do that?
All mine seems to do is measure each speaker at several microphone positions then make a correction for the combination at my listening position. I presume it knows better than I what is the best way to achieve that with the various speakers curves once it has measured them.
What shortcoming does the microphone have at high frequencies? IME the biggest problem it is likely to have is positioning effects due to inexperienced (with microphones) operator than technical shortcomings of its own.
I am a bit surprised by their suggested hf roll off in the proposed curve though.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I disagree. The 2D and 3D re-mapping were audibly flawed compared to more robust implementations of Trinnov that I experienced in Trinnov's own implementations. You could hear the correction signals.

We would need to measure that Trinnov implementation in that particular receiver to see which Trinnov mode is satisfying for enough sets of ears.

In audio it's normal to disagree, particularly from old methods.
I agree with you that today Trinnov has made tremendous advancements.
It's just too bad that we don't find it in affordable receivers, that it wasn't develop for the masses, pursued further after Sherwood NewCastle started it.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
We would need to measure that Trinnov implementation in that particular receiver to see which Trinnov mode is satisfying for enough sets of ears.
Not really. Here is my observation: Switch in the 2D or 3D correction for source position and listen to a stereo source. The correction/noise signals from the rear channels are distinctly audible from the listening position. Not so with other Trinnov implementations that I have used in the same room with the same speaker layout.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1593388153622.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Not really. Here is my observation: Switch in the 2D or 3D correction for source position and listen to a stereo source. The correction/noise signals from the rear channels are distinctly audible from the listening position. Not so with other Trinnov implementations that I have used in the same room with the same speaker layout.

Kal I highly respect your opinion and your reviews.
Ten years ago is a long time so I've reread your review and couple more ...
https://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/music_in_the_round_42/index.html

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ood-newcastle-r-972-av-receiver-with-trinnov/

https://www.audaud.com/sherwood-newcastle-r-972-surround-av-receiver/

Of course there are many many more reviews, but those I remember best.

Anyway Trinnov and Audyssey are still going today, and better than ten years ago, with Trinnov with more advancements and sought after, with the mention of being more expensive. Audyssey has advanced too in ten years, and it still is affordable, MultEQ XT32 in Denon receivers for less than $999.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey has be stagnant and they shouldn’t be. The app makes Audyssey very useable but still cumbersome to use. Results can be quite good. But they need to continue to develop:
1-A choice of better/more curves.
2-Ability to save your own curves
3-Apply 1 curve to all speakers
4-Use your own calibrated microphone.
5-Increase to 4 sub outputs
Edit:
6-PC/MAC App

FWIW for number 5 - Chris K of Audyssey has mentioned that the software was capable of four subs, no avr manufacturer ever implemented such.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW for number 5 - Chris K of Audyssey has mentioned that the software was capable of four subs, no avr manufacturer ever implemented such.
Thanks, I didn’t know that. It would be nice if some of the top Denon models for example went to 4 subs.

Flak

Industry Insider
Top Bottom