• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Is lcd 2c as capable as ananda you think ? Recently got ananda now curious about Audeze planar. They seem expensive though. You heard lots of headphones what do you think ? They seem quite opposite to ananda. Super curious about both lcd 2 and 2c.
I guess a question I might have about your question would be capable of what, or in what sense? I have heard a few Audeze and owned the LCD2F myself along with having owned in the past HE560/400i and currently the Edition X V2. Audeze has an approach that if I was to draw an analogy to it would be similar to the general sound American speaker companies like Bose have pursued where the bass is the key. Everything that I have heard from Audeze starts with an emphasis on the low frequencies being weighty and large.

That isn't to say they sound bloated or overcooked in the lower frequencies because of this, certainly not as a rule or commonly based on my direct and second hand experience. HiFi Man is not at all bass shy in any of the signatures that I have encountered, but there is certainly not as clear an emphasis on the bass being so impactful as what it seems to me that Audeze pursues (generally, there are exceptions with Audeze).

I wish that I had heard the Ananda myself. When I purchased the Edition X V2 the Ananda was a model that I was seriously considering, but because I tend to favour some warmth in my signatures, generally, based on what I read the Edition X V2 was the better match for me. How do you like the Ananda? I assume from your post that you like it. I totally understand your curiosity around the Audeze approach as that is why after having had a few HiFi Man models I purchased the LCD2F new from Razordog Audio (RIP). I would say that you at some point owe it to yourself to test the Audeze waters as both companies are clearly capable of producing fabulous sounding planar designs.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess a question I might have about your question would be capable of what, or in what sense? I have heard a few Audeze and owned the LCD2F myself along with having owned in the past HE560/400i and currently the Edition X V2. Audeze has an approach that if I was to draw an analogy to it would be similar to the general sound American speaker companies like Bose have pursued where the bass is the key. Everything that I have heard from Audeze starts with an emphasis on the low frequencies being weighty and large.

That isn't to say they sound bloated or overcooked in the lower frequencies because of this, certainly not as a rule or commonly based on my direct and second hand experience. HiFi Man is not at all bass shy in any of the signatures that I have encountered, but there is certainly not as clear an emphasis on the bass being so impactful as what it seems to me that Audeze pursues (generally, there are exceptions with Audeze).

I wish that I had heard the Ananda myself. When I purchased the Edition X V2 the Ananda was a model that I was seriously considering, but because I tend to favour some warmth in my signatures, generally, based on what I read the Edition X V2 was the better match for me. How do you like the Ananda? I assume from your post that you like it. I totally understand your curiosity around the Audeze approach as that is why after having had a few HiFi Man models I purchased the LCD2F new from Razordog Audio (RIP). I would say that you at some point owe it to yourself to test the Audeze waters as both companies are clearly capable of producing fabulous sounding planar designs.

Capable i mean are they technically good ? Detailed, not bloated. Since their signature dark i'm afraid they sound bad (to me) with overemphasis on punchy bass. Though graphs showing LCD 2 and 2C has actually less bass than Ananda.

Ananda is great and really good at revealing subtle details. Definitely ''i'm hearing things i never heard before'' type of headphone. However they lack body and engagement for some songs. Especially bass can be less impactful than desired for some songs. Sub bass is plenty though. Tonality is very good. Not warm or bright. Treble is very smooth and not offensive. I think problem with the Ananda my ears cant get a grasp of the sound. Sound just leaking away without building body. It's anemic and thinny. I have perfect fit and seal btw.

Lacks the impact but their bass presentation is actually nice and sweet like a subwoofer in a room. It doesn't hit from earcups. If the song hits the sweet spot Ananda bass actually nice. But when the bass is actually background rythm, presentation can be soft. Instead of punch it's more like a soft sub bass noise.

While describing Ananda i look like i hate them lol. They are really good but i think Hifiman saving their more ''complete package'' sound to their Arya if you are willing to pay $1k more. Ananda not flawless but amazing. They reveal every detail effortlessly without being aggressive. They also take the shape of recording nicely. If recording have a space and air in it you feel it with the Ananda. Immersion is amazing as well.

2C can be complementary to Ananda i guess. I might consider it if price drop back to $599. From my experience punchy/impactful headphones are aggressive/forward sounding and lack soundstage. How 2F does the distance and soundstage. Reading conflicting opinions on their soundstage. Audeze says 2C have more soundstage but 2F does better imaging. 2F tonality seems more ''normal'' but they are heavier and more expensive than 2C so i'm focusing on 2C more.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
@odyo I find that in general planars tend toward a softer, more diffused bass presentation as compared with dynamic drivers. This is even more pronounced with an open back design. I think that you will find the Audeze sound more impactful than the Ananda, but it may come at a slight expense in micro detail retrieval. I enjoyed the LCD2F and the other Audeze I have heard, but I would tend to describe them as slightly less dynamic sounding, but by no means dull. It is a definite signature that is worth hearing, certainly if you want the low distortion planar bass, but with greater impact than it sounds like you are currently experiencing.

If you take a chance on the Audeze just be sure that you either buy where there is a return policy or a good used marketplace where your losses will be minimal. I would be interested to hear what your experience is whatever route you go. Cheers.

Tup3x

The 6XX are a close second. I love the sound of open back headphones, and they .are like the warm butter of headphones. Their main issue for me is that they clamp a bit too tight for my taste sometimes.
That's very easy to fix with simple bend - also over time the clamping force will reduce significantly. All my HD 6xx series headphones clamp really lightly now.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
the leather on the pads on my [NAD VISO] HP50s is disintegrating. Does anyone know of a source for replacements?

Google turns up various options for replacement HP50 pads, but they don't seem to be "genuine" (exact replacements). I am also looking for a set and I am not trying to change the sound signature. Thanks to anyone who has a lead....

Theriverlethe

These 2 headphones sound quite different.

Audeze is on the 'darker' side with somewhat subdued upper mids and more 'grunt/body' where the Hifimans are less full bodied sounding with much more clarity and its treble is more pronounced.
Haven't heard the 2C yet.

Comfort also is very different. Audeze is MUCH heavier in weight and the pads sit around the ears quite differently.
The Audeze always feel to me as if they are 'sucked' to my skin. To me hifiman is more comfortable.

Didn’t you measure the 2C on your blog?

zermak

Oh I never posted here and I thought I did.
I am a kinda new headphone user.
I got my first headphones, Sennheiser PX100 first version, to use during train trips with my notebook. That was it for some time because I always preferred and still do the loudspeakers setup anyway.
A few years ago I got the AKG 712 Pro that I only use at home and are now my main when I can't use my loudspeakers.

Little off-topic. I used the Shennheiser MX350 earbuds before the PX100 and lately I am using the KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs because of the uncomfort I have while wearing the over-hear during the hot season.

Note aside. My first ever listened headphones that I remember how are the AKG K66 which my dad bought to my brother to use on the PC. I still have them somewhere and I remember they sounded dull.

Raikon_N

Initially ATH-M40X only, been using it for some time already. Then last year, I suddenly got more interested in audio so I bought some headphone amps and HD599, HD6XX, & HE-4XX.
And for some reason, I prefer HE-4XX among those HPs(in comfort and sound quality).

Now, I am planning to get another one with around 300 to 400 budget probably on Sept. Sundara is on my radar. Or maybe a closed-back one.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Initially ATH-M40X only, been using it for some time already. Then last year, I suddenly got more interested in audio so I bought some headphone amps and HD599, HD6XX, & HE-4XX.
And for some reason, I prefer HE-4XX among those HPs(in comfort and sound quality).

Now, I am planning to get another one with around 300 to 400 budget probably on Sept. Sundara is on my radar. Or maybe a closed-back one.
Many good choices out there. I was on the Sundara loaner tour but sadly due to work load issues I rarely had time to listen. What I did hear I liked quite a bit. Generally the impressions I read are quite positive. I actually felt that it was comfortable and well constructed. Not premium, but given the price point you wouldn't expect premium build details (nor need them really).

Theriverlethe

Is lcd 2c as capable as ananda you think ? Recently got ananda now curious about Audeze planar. They seem expensive though. You heard lots of headphones what do you think ? They seem quite opposite to ananda. Super curious about both lcd 2 and 2c.

It looks like the closed version is based on the LCD-2 Classic, so probably worse. I don't see much point in anything but the LCD-2 unless you need a potentially more rugged build that's even easier to drive with the LCD-X. LCD-2 measures better and is pretty easy to drive in the current version. Did you try the Reveal plugin?

odyo

It looks like the closed version is based on the LCD-2 Classic, so probably worse. I don't see much point in anything but the LCD-2 unless you need a potentially more rugged build that's even easier to drive with the LCD-X. LCD-2 measures better and is pretty easy to drive in the current version. Did you try the Reveal plugin?
I don't have the Audeze headphones and i didn't asked the closed version. LCD 2 looks better on paper though it's significantly expensive and heavy also have wood which i'm not fan of. 2C seems fine if they drop the price though.

I currently have:
Hifiman Ananda
DT 770 250 ohm
Creative Aurvana Live

Sold the DT 1990 and Fidelio X2. Tried couple of others etc...

Theriverlethe

I don't have the Audeze headphones and i didn't asked the closed version. LCD 2 looks better on paper though it's significantly expensive and heavy also have wood which i'm not fan of. 2C seems fine if they drop the price though.

I currently have:
Hifiman Ananda
DT 770 250 ohm
Creative Aurvana Live

Sold the DT 1990 and Fidelio X2. Tried couple of others etc...

The weight is well-distributed and I have no problem wearing them for hours, but I do notice the earpads as solderdude mentions. Audeze’s plugin EQ preset brings the treble up a couple dB and smooths it out, but doesn’t change the fundamental character of the headphone. Oratory1990’s EQ is more aggressive, but the drivers have no problem maintaining their smooth character. I can’t decide which I like better and may split the difference.

I just have too many reservations about Hifiman’s build quality and short warranty to spend that kind of money on them. Ananda’s only have the one-year warranty, right?

odyo

The weight is well-distributed and I have no problem wearing them for hours, but I do notice the earpads as solderdude mentions. Audeze’s plugin EQ preset brings the treble up a couple dB and smooths it out, but doesn’t change the fundamental character of the headphone. Oratory1990’s EQ is more aggressive, but the drivers have no problem maintaining their smooth character. I can’t decide which I like better and may split the difference.

I just have too many reservations about Hifiman’s build quality and short warranty to spend that kind of money on them. Ananda’s only have the one-year warranty, right?
Yes. It feels very fragile. Comfort is superb though. Coming from bright Beyer's i scared to buy Audeze since they are dark. I'm very curious about them. I wish i can audition 2, 2C and X. Ananda price, sound, comfort really good. It's just the plastic egg shape very open earcups concerning. You can see through them so you have to be careful. But again coming from tank Beyer's it's not fair competition for open Hifiman's for build lol.

Theriverlethe

Yes. It feels very fragile. Comfort is superb though. Coming from bright Beyer's i scared to buy Audeze since they are dark. I'm very curious about them. I wish i can audition 2, 2C and X. Ananda price, sound, comfort really good. It's just the plastic egg shape very open earcups concerning. You can see through them so you have to be careful. But again coming from tank Beyer's it's not fair competition for open Hifiman's for build lol.

If you’re happy with the Ananda, I wouldn’t worry about it. Maybe try some EQ or VST’s.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD6XX
Aeon 2 Open - daily drivers
HD800s - arrive on Monday (very excited)
Focal Elex - trying to sell
Sony 1000XM3 - plane flights
Koss KPH30i - for $30 I figured why not

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio Technica ATH-M50x. My first foray into high quality over ear headphones.
Zero Audio carbon Tenore - Great budget in ear headphone.
KZ S10 pros - Really impressive in ear headphone for the price and stay put. Replaced my Zero Audio carbons in my lineup.
Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT The first set of bluetooth headphones that are worth buying for music. I was really interested in the technology and there were half price used. Really happy with these both as bluetooth and USB wired. Bluetooth is still not as good as wired but these sound good with aptx-HD.
Sony wf-1000mx3 they were down to $120 so I decided I wanted to try them out to see how far true wireless had come. meh. Not there yet compared to wired or the ATH-DSRBT. True wireless is amazingly freeing and convenient. Someday when the sound quality catches up...

A Surfer

Major Contributor

They have been much better at QC and frankly I am sure that Audeze had just as many problems with QC.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Audio Technica ATH-M50x. My first foray into high quality over ear headphones.
Zero Audio carbon Tenore - Great budget in ear headphone.
KZ S10 pros - Really impressive in ear headphone for the price and stay put. Replaced my Zero Audio carbons in my lineup.
Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT The first set of bluetooth headphones that are worth buying for music. I was really interested in the technology and there were half price used. Really happy with these both as bluetooth and USB wired. Bluetooth is still not as good as wired but these sound good with aptx-HD.
Sony wf-1000mx3 they were down to $120 so I decided I wanted to try them out to see how far true wireless had come. meh. Not there yet compared to wired or the ATH-DSRBT. True wireless is amazingly freeing and convenient. Someday when the sound quality catches up...
The sound quality of wireless is identical to wired (for all practical intent and assuming the wireless is well implemented which the Sony is). You are mistaking sound signature imparted by design parameters with the technical possibility that can be realized. Anyway, I own the 1000XM3 and it sounds terrible unless you trim away the bloated bass via equalization, and not the crappy Sony EQ built into the app. Once you trim the bloat down the XM3 sounds fantastic.

Top Bottom