• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Toku

Major Contributor
I have read the instructions manual, does not say how to be permanent in DAC mode, thanks.
Most DAC products hold them permanently unless you reset the settings to factory defaults.

Attachments

• E30 PRE DAC SW.png
    E30 PRE DAC SW.png
    611.3 KB · Views: 160

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but how to put it on DAC mode ????? The so called 'multifunction' panel switch just off the machine.
I've looked at the owners manual just now, and it says the following in order to put it into DAC mode:

Output Mode Setting:
In the standby state, long press the multifunction touch button for 3 seconds to display the current output mode. Hold pressing, it will switch to another output mode after 1 second. The pre-amplifier mode displays "Pre" and the DAC mode displays "DAC". When you choose the desired mode, let go and the E30 will automatically save the settings and return to standby.

lex0rg

Important information for those who intend to buy or recently purchased E30

I got an official response from Topping in regards to factory fixed polarity problem units.

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Yes E30 SN number start from 2004 is positive polarity output and smaller SN number is negative polarity output.

PeteL

Major Contributor

I got an official response from Topping in regards to factory fixed polarity problem units.
Great to hear, may I ask if they confirm that what they ship from now has a sn>2004? I personally didn't get a reply from them (3 days).

lex0rg

Great to hear, may I ask if they confirm that what they ship from now has a sn>2004? I personally didn't get a reply from them (3 days).
It depends on the reseller which you will be buying from. You need to check it with them, not with Topping

PeteL

Major Contributor

VuhoaphanX

I'm in need of some recommendation please. Is it worth switching from D30 to this new E30 or do i need to spend more (D50s or something of equal) to get noticeable better performance ? I'm currently pairing the D30 with Bottlehead Crack to feed the HD 650. I wish to have more detailed, better separation, wider soundstage and a little brighter sound overall. Thank you !

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, oh well, that would explain why I didn't get reply. Lousy job on SEO tough, their site should come on top, unless maybe Google don't like chinese sites...
I wouldn't kick yourself over it, it's a simple mistake, I made it myself. For me it became clear that it wasn't the real Topping Site fairly quickly - after going through a few pages - but I've been on the Internet since 1978, so I have far more experience spotting situations like that site put us in with their free use of the Topping name.

Good luck with the Real Topping - I'm really looking forward to swapping in my D90 MQA and A90, and I hope you enjoy your... Topping E30 :)

Last edited:

ModDIY

I'm in need of some recommendation please. Is it worth switching from D30 to this new E30 or do i need to spend more (D50s or something of equal) to get noticeable better performance ? I'm currently pairing the D30 with Bottlehead Crack to feed the HD 650. I wish to have more detailed, better separation, wider soundstage and a little brighter sound overall. Thank you !

SMSL M200 or Topping D50s (ES9038q2m).

I have the SMSL M200 (AK4497)..

If you can get the SMSL M300, it's a cheaper alternative than the M200, close to the price of the DS50S. Be careful not to buy the D50 version, but the latest D50s.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I was wondering if there are measurments somewhere for a jitter fft graph for the coax and optical ins. In fact @amirm , it's just a suggestion, It would be great to have that for every DACS, not that I want to tell you what to do, your contribution is already major and greatly appreciated, but truth be told, by design, jitter on a well implemented UAC2.0 interface , will almost never be an issue, that's the easy part, low jitter on Toslink is not as much of a given. I don't see this measured on Topping site neither

Eetu

Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with the Bottlehead amp but have you thought about getting a 'transparent' solid state amp to compare with? Then you could have both clean & tube-y sound depending on the mood. Just a suggestion :) The amp is most likely the bottleneck (no pun intended) in your system and not the D30.

The E30 and the D50s measure very similarly so I wouldn't pay extra unless you need BT etc.

facboy

did you confirm that's on all inputs or could it be just USB?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
did you confirm that's on all inputs or could it be just USB?

There is already a firmware update for just the USB input for all serial numbers for the E30. Hence the USB input is already fixed for all E30's if you install the new firmware. This means Topping does not need to modify hardware for the USB input. Conclusion: Logic dictates with a probability verging on certainty that they did the hardware change for all inputs.

VuhoaphanX

SMSL M200 or Topping D50s (ES9038q2m).

I have the SMSL M200 (AK4497)..

If you can get the SMSL M300, it's a cheaper alternative than the M200, close to the price of the DS50S. Be careful not to buy the D50 version, but the latest D50s.

I'm not familiar with the Bottlehead amp but have you thought about getting a 'transparent' solid state amp to compare with? Then you could have both clean & tube-y sound depending on the mood. Just a suggestion :) The amp is most likely the bottleneck (no pun intended) in your system and not the D30.

The E30 and the D50s measure very similarly so I wouldn't pay extra unless you need BT etc.

Thank you for your replies

It is not like I'm unsatisfied with the Crack but I'm actually love its warm and engaging sound, especially its musical midrange. The D30 is a really great DAC for its price too.
What I'm seeking now is to widen the soundstage a bit and add a little more transparent to my set up, so I would like to find a DAC that could help me with that :D.
But anyway, thank you for your suggestions, I'll definitely try out some solid state amps to see if I like the way they make my HD 650 sings.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There is already a firmware update for just the USB input for all serial numbers for the E30. Hence the USB input is already fixed for all E30's if you install the new firmware. This means Topping does not need to modify hardware for the USB input. Conclusion: Logic dictates with a probability verging on certainty that they did the hardware change for all inputs.
I think you've missed some information in reaching your conclusion. We know from @Toku's earlier report that the AKM DAC's functions are controlled by the STM mcu that can have its firmware updated at the factory, but not by the end user. AKM's DAC datasheets show most models having a control for phase inversion, so there's a good chance a firmware change to the STM mcu can invert phase without needing a hardware revision. I didn't spot a publicly available datasheet for this DAC model, so I'm assuming it's similar to the others in this respect.

If I'm right then for future DACs Topping could expose the phase inversion switch via the remote, similar to the filter settings. It's an extra feature at minimal expense, and the customer gets to set it as they prefer.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I think you've missed some information in reaching your conclusion. We know from @Toku's earlier report that the AKM DAC's functions are controlled by the STM mcu that can have its firmware updated at the factory, but not by the end user. AKM's DAC datasheets show most models having a control for phase inversion, so there's a good chance a firmware change to the STM mcu can invert phase without needing a hardware revision. I didn't spot a publicly available datasheet for this DAC model, so I'm assuming it's similar to the others in this respect.

If I'm right then for future DACs Topping could expose the phase inversion switch via the remote, similar to the filter settings. It's an extra feature at minimal expense, and the customer gets to set it as they prefer.

I answered the question "did you confirm that's on all inputs or could it be just USB?" about the absolute polarity fix. Topping already made a firmware fix available to fix this for the usb input. This works on all E30's. Topping also acknowledged that the other inputs could not be fixed with firmware, (read earlier posts in this thread) so they would fix that in hardware. What did I miss? Your explanation seems not related at all to what I answered and not based on what Topping has said about this. If they could have fixed all inputs with a software change (according to your opinion) why would they make a hardware change then?

But one thing is certain (hence my earlier answer): Topping has fixed it for all inputs on models with a later serial number (> 2004 ).

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Oh well, looks like I have been overly enthusiast about this... On the Topping site there isn't any vendors for Canada. I reached out to Apos (usa), which were suggested in this forum, and they don't ship to Canada, unfortunate because I really liked the look and feature set of this little Dac. Any fellow Canucks here that knows a way to have access to topping gear?

Top Bottom