• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Take a look at the AHB2 review right on this site.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ok I will definitely look with an open mind. Sorry if I came in hot guys I just want to understand the improvements.

Try this as well. I've designed, built, and measured a LOT of power supplies over the years, and switchers are a Godsend.

Audio89

You definitely got in on the wrong foot by blasting ideas people here don't take seriously and demanding proof otherwise, like it is our burden to prove things to YOU. This is a science and engineering-based site, meaning evidence is to be demonstrated that is measurable and repeatable, not based on what you think you hear and cheap marketing-based ideas. You know, the way science works. Read the site for a couple of weeks to get the feel of things. And for heaven's sake read a review or two to figure out how things work here. Your questions have been answered ad nauseum. Use the search button.

Try starting with this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/understanding-audio-measurements.2351/
Yes sir I’ll take my verbal lashing and like it. I should’ve taken screen shots of my past research and posted what I’ve found. My sincere apologies.

Audio89

Try this as well. I've designed, built, and measured a LOT of power supplies over the years, and switchers are a Godsend.

What does everyone think of Audioquest cables and the 72 volt shield?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sucker Snake Oil.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

If you keep asking these kinds of questions, you may find yourself saving a lot of money...
Careful...you may find you like it around here.

A lot of us came in with guns blazing at first...don't let that dissuade you from sticking around.

wje

Forum Donor

Look at that amp in the rack on the video. It's an Alesis, which was made by Behringer.

Audio89

If you keep asking these kinds of questions, you may find yourself saving a lot of money...
Careful...you may find you like it around here.

A lot of us came in with guns blazing at first...don't let that dissuade you from sticking around.
Actually I’m starting to like it here, I do really like all the concepts here on this site.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well that about sums it then lol

I actually still own a pair of 20 y/o Audioquest 0.5m Topaz RCA interconnects. (Internet photo below - mine are actually a pretty topaz-blue color!) They were Audioquest's "entry-level" series, and certainly not worth what I paid for them, but they gave me a tiny bit of audiophile cred... Actually they are pretty - and well-made, and they don't add any audible distortion to my system, so I still use them. Plus with the arrows, I always know that they are correctly installed and free of electron speed bumps. /s

Audioquest.jpg

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I actually still own a pair of 20 y/o Audioquest 0.5m Topaz RCA interconnects. (Internet photo below - mine are actually a pretty topaz-blue color!) They were Audioquest's "entry-level" series, and certainly not worth what I paid for them, but they gave me a tiny bit of audiophile cred... Actually they are pretty - and well-made, and they don't add any audible distortion to my system, so I still use them. Plus with the arrows, I always know that they are correctly installed and free of electron speed bumps. /s

Shame on you. :) When I bought a stepped attenuator I paid $35 to upgrade to Holco resistors, I figured short money just to "make sure".

BTW the BS on Audioquest's site is simply amazing.

Audio89

View attachment 58686

I did purchase a few pair of the Colorado RCAs fro music direct in Chicago. I was intrigued by the cold weld process, I like the fact they do t use solder. They are very impressive but I wouldn’t spend full price for sure, they are on clearance.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I ran a blind test with a guy making cables like that. Voltage on vs voltage off. Judging from his rather vitriolic reaction after receiving the randomized test files, I assume that he couldn't tell the difference, either. Without peeking, that is.

Audio89

I ran a blind test with a guy making cables like that. Voltage on vs voltage off. Judging from his rather vitriolic reaction after receiving the randomized test files, I assume that he couldn't tell the difference, either. Without peeking, that is.

I suspect that system really doesn’t make a difference unless it’s subjected to a noisy environment. Or little to no difference. Kinda interested to try that to see what the results are.

Kvalsvoll

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Recently replaced all amplifiers with new nCore units. Only drawback is I miss the satisfaction of listening to something I designed myself. But I can live very well with that, because:

- Compared to the class-A, distortion at low level is similar or lower, harmonic distribution less perfect, but since level is far below threshold of hearing, that does not matter. At higher power levels the new ones simply destroy the exotic.
- Lower noise, need to put my head inside the horn to hear anything at all in a quiet room.
- Can drive any load with ease, just like the class-A. But..
- 4 times smaller size, 10x power, 90% reduction in power consumption and heat. How can you not love that.

They are sonically transparent. In fact, if I was to build those for sale, I would sell them with sound quality guarantee - if you can hear a difference between input and output, return it and get a full refund.

I could design an AB circuit with similar performance, it would be 6x the size, use 4x to 8x power, output transistors alone would cost more than the complete nCore module with power supply.

Built 2 types - the Buurion and the slightly larger Guurion. I like the design. Real wood, you can see the cooling and amplifier boards, takes up very little space due to the narrow width.

Problem solved. Case closed.

Guurion P1080604.jpg

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Recently replaced all amplifiers with new nCore units. Only drawback is I miss the satisfaction of listening to something I designed myself. But I can live very well with that, because:

- Compared to the class-A, distortion at low level is similar or lower, harmonic distribution less perfect, but since level is far below threshold of hearing, that does not matter. At higher power levels the new ones simply destroy the exotic.
- Lower noise, need to put my head inside the horn to hear anything at all in a quiet room.
- Can drive any load with ease, just like the class-A. But..
- 4 times smaller size, 10x power, 90% reduction in power consumption and heat. How can you not love that.

They are sonically transparent. In fact, if I was to build those for sale, I would sell them with sound quality guarantee - if you can hear a difference between input and output, return it and get a full refund.

I could design an AB circuit with similar performance, it would be 6x the size, use 4x to 8x power, output transistors alone would cost more than the complete nCore module with power supply.

Built 2 types - the Buurion and the slightly larger Guurion. I like the design. Real wood, you can see the cooling and amplifier boards, takes up very little space due to the narrow width.

Problem solved. Case closed.

View attachment 58697

I am very curious. Do you have a description of the Buurion and Guurion somewhere? What speakers are you using?
However, what I see looks nice.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to hear some of these amps you speak of, and see some of the switching power supplies.
How about some links? If I’m wrong then I apologize to everyone here.
Sorry, no links, but a suggestion. Compare an ATI Ncore amp (linear PSU) to another Ncore (SMPS). I've seen measurements that show how much 60Hz & harmonics the ATIs leak, but I can't recall where right now.

Top Bottom