• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

peanuts

So, no, I do not accept there is a hardware quality issue and from about a year on the Devialet forum in 2018/19 am unaware of any hardware faults ever arising. (Please check and prove me wrong.)
obviously the power measurements presents a different load than a speaker. there was also a sony receiver that failed during testing. good equipment dont.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd think that a product with very limited output at high-frequencies would be built with protection to avoid damage.

At the very least, there should be internal fuses.
Perhaps, the folks at Stereophile were warned to test at low power, it failed and they lowered it some more.

- Rich

QMuse

Major Contributor
This unit is perhaps 7 or 8 years old. No mention that it had ever had a hardware fault in the past, Amir has it 5 minutes and kills it.

I can see it comes a surprise to you that in order to measure performance on max power level you have to crank amp to the max power and run a full frequency range sweep through it. Funny, isn't it?

Are you implying @amirm did something wrong when testing this amp? If so, please be specific on that.

So, no, I do not accept there is a hardware quality issue and from about a year on the Devialet forum in 2018/19 am unaware of any hardware faults ever arising. (Please check and prove me wrong.)

Once again i remind you that @John Atkinson had similar issues with new model. I can see you keep convinienty ignoring that fact so pls check once again my post here where I qouted Stereophile measurents.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The only reason for posting, indeed signing up, in the first place was because I cannot understand the point of reviewing an old version of a music system that was designed to be modular and upgradeable, before he blew it up (which takes some doing). The only reason for buying a Devialet 200 would be to pay about £2,500 and upgrade it to a 220 Pro for £3,000 and save £1,500 against the cost of a new 220 Pro, which makes sense. Saying it costs $10,000 (£8,000) is just plain misleading.

I may have one, I'd happily swap it for a device that sounds as good, has two programmable phono inputs, Roon and auto-detect. Any suggestions?
Lets say we follow your idiotic line of reasoning and claim it actually costs £2,500. Then I would say that even for the low price of £2,500 this device is a fucking joke.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
To avoid anymore valueless circular discussion and given we are probably on our 3rd for 4th trip around the roundabout of confusion I'm giving member @balletboy a thread ban .

He's stated his reasoning, readers can make their own minds up on how useful and relevant his contributions were.

cheers

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why don't we just wait to find out what Devialet find had failed?
I have owned 2 Devialet amps over the last 10 years and Silver Phantoms from the first batch, so now 5 years old, with no hardware problem at all. I have never heard of one failing in use before and afaik none other that has been tested had a hardware failure.
I am fascinated to find out what broke.
Yes, it is quite expensive but, FWIW, I wouldn't own anything else and I have had a fair bit of kit over the last 50 years, though I do tend to keep stuff I am happy with for a long time.
Main turntable 30 years, other 3 long time also.
CD transport 25 years
Speakers 25 years
The amps before the Devialet 15 years.
So the Devialet is still new by my standards and I love the looks, functionality and particularly the remote control.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned 2 Devialet amps over the last 10 years and Silver Phantoms from the first batch, so now 5 years old, with no hardware problem at all. I have never heard of one failing in use before and afaik none other that has been tested had a hardware failure.
I once walked into the room where I'd left my 200 playing and noticed a strong smell of iodine, it got stronger and stronger the closer to the amp I got, but it was still working fine. It had to go back to the distributer for a fix, something had let go.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I once walked into the room where I'd left my 200 playing and noticed a strong smell of iodine, it got stronger and stronger the closer to the amp I got, but it was still working fine. It had to go back to the distributer for a fix, something had let go.
Oh dear, wasn't long before it turned out I was wrong (again) :(

thumb5

It was a problem with a non-critical component in the power supply, IIRC. Fixed under warranty. Hasn't been a problem with the current models.

thumb5

How would you know all the details of this members issue then ?

I'm assuming you have some kind of non disclosed industry links with devialet.
Your assumption is wrong. The problem @Soniclife described affected several 200s some years ago and is in the public domain.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Your assumption is wrong. The problem @Soniclife described affected several 200s some years ago and is in the public domain.
And you think all information about product failures are public record?

I personally know of plenty of issues with hifi gear that have been swept under the carpet. In deed just 2 days ago a person contacted me through Facebook trying to do just that regarding a hifi product.

If we are to believe you don't have any industry affiliation with devialet we can scrap this claim of yours " Hasn't been a problem with the current models. "

You don't know so please don't pretend you do because you hang about on some forums .

Feargal

This was quite a common issue. No conspiracy. the component at fault was a Schurter input power filter a bit like this. I had a Devialet 200 a few years back and mine went too. This component started to smell a bit funny (Devialet were quite open about admitting this was a problem).

1586801154233.png

thumb5

And you think all information about product failures are public record?

I personally know of plenty of issues with hifi gear that have been swept under the carpet. In deed just 2 days ago a person contacted me through Facebook trying to do just that regarding a hifi product.

If we are to believe you don't have any industry affiliation with devialet we can scrap this claim of yours " Hasn't been a problem with the current models. "

You don't know so please don't pretend you do because you hang about on some forums .
If it would help, let me qualify what I originally said: "to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been a problem with current models, using the same information sources as brought the original problem into the public domain".

QMuse

Major Contributor
This was quite a common issue. No conspiracy. the component at fault was a Schurter input power filter a bit like this. I had a Devialet 200 a few years back and mine went too. This component started to smell a bit funny.

View attachment 58639

That certainy introduces comfort that Devialet choosed quality parts. Btw, do you happen to have similar explanation for poor results of Expert 140 Pro in Stereophile test? I'm asking this same question to pretty much every fan of Devialet on this forum but all I'm getting is sound of silence (pun intended).

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If it would help, let me qualify what I originally said: "to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been a problem with current models, using the same information sources as brought the original problem into the public domain".
I'm fairly certain the majority of devialet owners are not audio forum members so your ' knowledge ' in this case is virtually meaningless yet you present with absolute certainty.

Top Bottom