• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

NoMoFoNo

Lots and lots of magical subjective audiphool language used in your post, sorry to say. I also noted earlier that my grandfather was a symphony lover and so yes I heard plenty of symphonic music on his R2R equipment. It all had quite a bit of the characteristic hiss as a noise floor, something that R2R lovers sometimes don't like to acknowledge. The hiss is there, especially in quiet symphonic passages, so I'm surprised to hear someone argue about the fidelity of R2R, compared to quality digital, in 2020. It's not even close, not in the same ballpark.

The R2R lover who loves the gadgetry aspect, I get that 100%. But to argue that R2R can compare to quality digital? Nope.

As noted, it has been a few years. And these impressions are necessarily general, as one cannot compare the same recording on different media.

With those caveats, here are the main differences as I perceived them: more dynamic articulation and "jump," both micro- and macro-, and especially at high frequencies; clearer separation in complex material; and greater tonal saturation.

The dynamics were the most vivid part. Perhaps this is a function of how these tapes were mastered - with little or no compression not in the master - rather any than any inherent superiority of the medium. Even now, most commercial recordings, including digital, are not mastered as "aggressively" as they could be.

Almost all the tapes in my little collection are classical - RCA, EMI, London. The classical divisions of these companies took great pride in the technical quality of their recordings. The vast majority of pop recordings from the 1960s and 70s were not very good to begin with; I wouldn't really expect to hear differences there. Perhaps RTRs of Steely Dan albums, if such things exist, would show a difference. Jazz recordings could also be revealing - again, assuming that such things exist.

I detect a note of skepticism in your reply. Have you listened to prerecorded AAA RTR tapes?

NoMoFoNo

No, he used the equipment that was the best available at the time. We're talking 40+ years ago. As a reformed turntable nut, I will aggressively say that the hobbyist who loves R2R or turntables in 2020 is great, UNTIL they assert that somehow those machines sound superior to digital. Phono is not good compared to digital, and R2R is also not good compared to digital. Not even close.

We're talking about audible hiss, but there is no need to put up with anything except perfectly black noise floors in 2020, and that can be gotten with a DAC that costs $200 or less. R2R and turntables are for the gear head hobbyist these days.

I guess gramps must've been an audiophool. So, of your recollection from forty-odd years ago, is there anything apart from the hiss? The hiss is there to be sure - to greater or lesser degrees except with Dolby - but there is also this thing called music on the tape. Do you recall whether that might have sounded different? Or was the hiss too much of a distraction? Also, do you think your HF hearing is the same now as when you ten?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use cable lifters to ... ah... lift your cables out of the way of your robot vacuum cleaner

Newk Yuler

I have a PS audio Noise Harvester. It’s a device that uses noise above 10khz in the AC line to power a small LED.

I asked Paul McGowan that if the Harvester was audibly beneficial to all audio hardware and not difficult or expensive to implement, why didn't he just put the circuit in all his products to provide the performance edge to everything they make. I wasn't trying to be malicious with the question. It just seemed like a good idea for all his extraordinary audio products. He didn't reply.

Some years back someone in China dissected a Noise Harvester and displayed images, probably in a forum IIRC. The contents of the device were worth only a small fraction of what PS Audio's product cost. IIRC the idea was inferred to clone and sell it cheaply which apparently never happened. The short discussion was in some form of Chinese and I had to use Google Translate to get the gist of it.

Zensō

Major Contributor
For me, hands-down, it's my Yph phono stage:

hero.jpg

hero6.jpg

It gets more comments, questions, than other piece of electronics I own. As a work of living room art, it's great.

As a work of craftmanship, it's great. Hand-made case, point-point-wiring.

As a piece of audio gear, it's crazy. It doesn't fit in a rack. It has no adjustment to cartridge loading or gain. It's output is somewhat anemic. The noise floor is high. Specs would probably be bested by a $50 solid state stage with a wall wart.

But, it's part of my vinyl world, which is already objectively inferior, so I don't worry.

And yours?

You win! That’s a cool piece of audio art...

Newk Yuler

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been previously tossed into the discussion when R2R DACs are universally crapped upon.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...may-probably-the-best-discrete-r2r-dac.10161/

This too and Amir decided it was good enough to recommend.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/
Ummmm- arent we talking about two entirely different meanings of R2R here (your links compared to the Reel to Reel tape decks discussed in this thread?) - forgive me if I've missed something, Im a noob.

EDIT- covered above

RigorDude

Phono is not good compared to digital, and R2R is also not good compared to digital. Not even close.
I gathered that this is your opinion. To me it is far too cut-and-dried, and the "not even close" part certainly doesn't accord with my own perceptions. I hear little difference between well-sorted LP and digital, or between well-recorded redbook and high-resolution digital. Is there crackle on a beat-up old Van Morrison LP? Sure, but it doesn't bother me enough to justify junking it and paying for a digital transfer. You may argue that I must be too deaf to hear a meaningful difference between LP and digital. But if that's the case, the difference between them and RTR must be vast.

I certainly don't urge people to run out and buy a turntable, let alone an RTR deck. They'll likely be disappointed. Vinyl needs a decent setup and a fair amount of patience and care in order to not sound crappy. RTR seems less fussy, but there's very little music on RTR. Digital offers a cheaper, more reliable path to good sound, as well as the deepest catalog of recorded music, especially if you care about what has been done in the past thirty years or so. (But not everything is digital, or ever will be.) This is basically the line that John Darko - despised by so many on this forum - has been pushing for years. Perhaps it's your line too, but it doesn't come across that way.

In the real world, recording quality outweighs format by a large margin in any assessment of sonics. But I did hear a difference between RTR and both digital and LP, and I won't pretend otherwise. For me, the difference doesn't offset the negligible amount of music on RTR, or the fact that threading and rewinding tapes is a nuisance. That is why it's been several years since I've played any tapes. But yeah, my experience with RTR persuades me that digital could be further improved by figuring out how to close up these deficits.

Back to RTR, I don't recall the hiss being intrusive most of the time, especially (to return to my earlier point) while music was playing. My guess is that gramps didn't either, and that is why he was able to listen to "symphonies" on his RTRs without it "driving him nuts." YMMV. I would argue that a completely silent background is a good thing, other things being equal.

But other things are not always equal, except in ideology. "Digital good, other stuff bad" isn't really a useful contribution to the discussion, let alone the end of it. It seems, though, that you think it is - that digital's "perfectly black background," in and of itself, objectively makes the sonics of LPs and RTR "not good" by comparison. At any rate, you haven't mentioned any other factors that could be relevant.

And apparently you view things such as dynamics and tonality as "audiophool" delusions. Really? Have you ever played a musical instrument or been to a live concert? Do you think that a recorded piano has the same dynamic and tonal definition as a live piano? They are miles apart. If live and recorded are that different, why on Earth can't formats be heard to differ in the same way, even if not to the same degree?

Btw, it sounds like your analog setup was rather serious. What was it? And what sort of music do you listen to most often?

RigorDude

Ummmm- arent we talking about two entirely different meanings of R2R here (your links compared to the Reel to Reel tape decks discussed in this thread?) - forgive me if I've missed something, Im a noob.

EDIT- covered above

Correct: 2 ≠ to. R2R is a technical neologism that refers to a resistor ladder in which successive "rungs" have 2x the resistance (R) of previous rungs and 1/2 the resistance of following rungs. Reel-to-Reel (RTR) is a recording format in which magnetic tape is passed from one reel to another across a recording or playback head. Cassettes are the same thing in miniature form. Some people don't know the difference or are sloppy about applying it.

egellings

Major Contributor
Turntables (TT) can sound remarkably good, but I would not expect a 91+dB S/N and other goodies of digital reproducing techniques from it. For me, the TT's charm is in the fussing around with it and watching as well as listening to it do its thing. It also helps that I have probably a 14 foot stack of LPs, too. TTs have no right to sound as good as they do, but the digital formats do work better.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhere in a drawer I still have a Sicomin CD damper I bought in the late 80's. You put it on top of the CD, and it works in top loaders (I owned a Philips CD101) only.:facepalm:

egellings

Major Contributor
That CD damper works better with CDs that have the green marker ink on their peripheries! Hork!
(About Hork: A shout of derision from a grandpa bullfrog!)

Victor Martell

1.- My record weight - but I truly admit I got only for the 'grams - I post in vinyl groups, where pictures of a playing record look cooler with a record weight

2.- But mostly, my Bifrost 2 - as an skeptik I dog food - and am I am totally skeptik of my ability to discern any differences from my previous dac, the modi multibit - BUT - since I already had a Saga and an Asgard 3, I needed my gear to match in size and style. So mostly OCD, more than audiophool.

v

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned a boutique Serbian integrated amplifier, for a very specific niche application that didn't materialise (shoebox-sized, cool-running and low-gain class AB for a high-sensitivity passive SEOS speaker kit I never got around to purchasing). This was before cheap small nCore power amps were readily-available, and one only had provably crappy Tripath stuff in that form factor within my budget (remember the huge hype around Virtue Audio?). Honestly, it was the amplifier that gave me the least grief in the harshly warm and humid conditions here. It only developed a scratchy pot that was readily repaired, where the amps before and after it needed recapping (granted, one of them being ~15 years old). Plus no humming or noise. The power amp version of the circuit, without the pot, measured bang up to spec in a German review I saw.

wx6-HXAzJ50Txr8-kPsNYwEf0iiBG7UO5_8kY0sto2Q.jpg

dayens-ampino-endstufen-26548.jpg

Granted it did have really good parts for the price I paid (the euro hit rock bottom with the Greek crisis, I paid around $400 IIRC). Passive ALPS Blue Velvet, Mundorf electrolytics in the power supply, Mundorf input caps and a toroid from a boutique audiophile transformer winder (Trafomatic). The owners were also very kind and approachable. Sold it for very little depreciation after two years, less than $100.

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pot knob heating!
Now that's quite luxury.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pot knob heating!
Now that's quite luxury.

Yes, this amplifier frequently got praises for using the heatsink to shield the toroid, while allowing the amp to have a compact shoebox footprint. The amp never got warm though. Components were all massively over-specced, such as 20,000 uF Mundorfs for a 25wpc/8ohm amplifier.

RigorDude

I owned a boutique Serbian integrated amplifier, for a very specific niche application that didn't materialise (shoebox-sized, cool-running and low-gain class AB for a high-sensitivity passive SEOS speaker kit I never got around to purchasing)....
Passive ALPS Blue Velvet, Mundorf electrolytics in the power supply, Mundorf input caps and a toroid from a boutique audiophile transformer winder (Trafomatic). The owners were also very kind and approachable. Sold it for very little depreciation after two years, less than $100.
Hard to see how this unit is any way frivolous. Looks like a solid, no-frills class AB design and a pretty good value. I won't name the mfr. as it is still in business and this isn't exactly the most flattering venue for it to turn up in a google search.

Top Bottom