• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi Pro iCAN Headphone Amplifier Review

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think we ALL know that.
Read the review again, it doesn't come off as knowing that, @amirm claims there are 2 that are used for balanced with 1/4" plugs only, but that is not completely true. Those are either used as 2 separate 1/4" headphone jacks, or a balanced set up with two 3 pin XLR connectors or 1/4" jacks.

(Edited for my own correction!)

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Now I'm curious of ASR's review of the SPL Phonitor (any of them) and the Emotiva A100 as headphone amps which are the other amps for power anxious people looking for "headroom" over stuff like jds atom.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I'm curious of ASR's review of the SPL Phonitor (any of them) and the Emotiva A100 as headphone amps which are the other amps for power anxious people looking for "headroom" over stuff like jds atom.

The real draw of the Phonitors are all the crossfeed options, not SINAD or power.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

thefsb

Regardless of the performance, the stack with the energizer and dac looks good to me :cool:

View attachment 55876

Reminds me of those mini component systems from the early 80s

192324-akai_ucw5_ucs5_uca5_vintage_mini_hifi_set.jpg

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest ifi redesign this model, get rid of the tube nonsense, put in proper 1/4 headphone jack, and a wireless remote. Price it well below US $1,000 and there may be a market for it.

Oh, there is already a market for it...

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Nice, just the photo, or each logo glows with different hue? :)
The iCan glows white in solid state, yellowish color in both tube modes, and red if shit goes bad, lol. Never had that happen yet. The iESL is that yellowish color, the DAC I don't have, but my guess is the same as the amp since they both have a tube mode.

DEXCOM7

Read the review again, it doesn't come off as knowing that, @amirm claims there are 2 that are used for balanced with 1/4" plugs only, but that is not completely true. Those are either used as 2 separate 1/4" headphone jacks, or a balanced set up with two 3 pin XLR connectors or 1/4" jacks.

(Edited for my own correction!)

I read this review and I was stun by this, and was wondering if he knew this ^^ but looks like he did? I am confused... LOL . At any rate, despite the review and comments of others I went an purchased this AMP, Exactly for the reason @amirm complaint about :). I want a one go to AMP to serve my needs for all my HP and IEM's.... I have a plethora of closed and open backs and now getting in to IEM's. I really like the iCan SE.... Why not just go for the Grandfather (big difference in price and look) so I did :)

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
I read this review and I was stun by this, and was wondering if he knew this ^^ but looks he did? I am confused... LOL . At any rate, despite the review and comments of others I went an purchased this AMP, Exactly for the reason @amirm complaint about :). I want a one go to AMP to serve my needs for all my HP and IEM's.... I have a plethora of closed and open backs and now getting in to IEM's. I really like the iCan SE.... Why not just go for the Grandfather (big difference in price and look) so I did :)
I am confused, too, but for me that is a daily thing, not from the review, lol.

Tks

Major Contributor
Been looking at this thing more and more in images. I really love the look and the dial indices of this thing for example. I take back what I said about the face lift. They should keep it, but just update some of the connectors (keep the same amount, I like the symmetry and just all the knobs and shit).

This thing in it's stack looks so nice :) And looking over some of the features and wealth of connectors - I actually feel like getting one..

Top Bottom