• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi Pro iCAN Headphone Amplifier Review

I cannot dispute the measurements, but to my ears the iCan Pro sounds ... really good with my Utopia and HD800S. This might be due to my limited comparisons - a Hugo2 (now sold) and the Focal Arche - but at this stage I wouldn't know what not to like. In all cases, the sound with the iCan is fuller (using the devices' DAC as input). The fav feature is the xbass which is more than welcome (but only the first setting) with above mentioned headphones. The tube mode was rather useless, but after upgrading the tube to a WE396A, the mode becomes a very audible difference. Lastly, I cannot hear distortions while listening on louder volumes. Anybody sharing these impressions?

Last edited:

Kesi

I cannot dispute the measurements, but to my ears the iCan Pro sounds ... really good with my Utopia and HD800S. This might be due to my limited comparisons - a Hugo2 (now sold) and the Focal Arche - but at this stage I wouldn't know what not to like. In all cases, the sound with the iCan is fuller (using the devices' DAC as input). The fav feature is the xbass which is more than welcome (but only the first setting) with above mentioned headphones. The tube mode was rather useless, but after upgrading the tube to a WE396A, the mode becomes a very audible difference. Lastly, I cannot hear distortions while listening on louder volumes. Anybody sharing these impressions?

I always trust ASR for reviews but surprised to see “no standard 1’4 inch headphone out, thumb doesn’t fit in between the volume knob and effects selector, remote is wired and not wireless???” When I first tested this on my buddy’s rig,.. it sounds good, remote responds 6 meters away and this cements my understanding that good measurements does not equals to good sound. I can sense a lot of hate towards ifi Pro iCan on this particular review while other reviewers have positive reviews, maybe due to measurements? And not the sound quality?

Using HD800s, solid state (to my ears) sounds fast and dynamic and does not color the sound from the DAC, tube mode is wider sounding, more pronounced mids and sounds thicker compared to solid state mode.

What’s the audible difference between the stock tube and WE396A? Is it just remove the stock tubes and insert the WE396A? Or there are some modifications on the circuit plus the new tubes?

I always trust ASR for reviews but surprised to see “no standard 1’4 inch headphone out, thumb doesn’t fit in between the volume knob and effects selector, remote is wired and not wireless???” When I first tested this on my buddy’s rig,.. it sounds good, remote responds 6 meters away and this cements my understanding that good measurements does not equals to good sound. I can sense a lot of hate towards ifi Pro iCan on this particular review while other reviewers have positive reviews, maybe due to measurements? And not the sound quality?

Using HD800s, solid state (to my ears) sounds fast and dynamic and does not color the sound from the DAC, tube mode is wider sounding, more pronounced mids and sounds thicker compared to solid state mode.

What’s the audible difference between the stock tube and WE396A? Is it just remove the stock tubes and insert the WE396A? Or there are some modifications on the circuit plus the new tubes?

Thanks for sharing, and I am using the HD800S as well with the Pro iCan. The difference with the tubes - with the "stock tube", the difference is nearly non-existing in comparison to solid state, at least for me. Upgrading the tube makes a big difference, suddenly the tube character comes out, making the HD800S, for example, much warmer. The process is straightforward ... open case, remove tube (lots of careful wiggling here, it is not easy and space is limited), insert new tube, close case. Definitely worth trying.

Kesi

Thanks for sharing, and I am using the HD800S as well with the Pro iCan. The difference with the tubes - with the "stock tube", the difference is nearly non-existing in comparison to solid state, at least for me. Upgrading the tube makes a big difference, suddenly the tube character comes out, making the HD800S, for example, much warmer. The process is straightforward ... open case, remove tube (lots of careful wiggling here, it is not easy and space is limited), insert new tube, close case. Definitely worth trying.

Thank you so much, My buddy is planning to purchase a new tube amp, he want’s to sell his pro ican (to me). I might grab the offer and look for tube replacement. Maybe you need to burn-in the tubes if you can’t distinguish the difference between solid state and tube mode on your pro ican, I’ve read that it needs at least 500 hours of burn-in time. From where did you purchase the WE396A? How did the WE396A affect the mids and treble region?

I understood that there are different WE396As around from the 60s and 70s, with the 60s being much better. I got mine (used) from Ebay, prices vary.
Here is the inside of the unit, where you can see that you have to wiggle out the tubes. I am not good at describing a/b sounds and how it affects mids and trebles, but for sure the WE396A sound more organic and tube like than the default ones.

I tried to attach a pic, but the upload file is too large even after downsizing.

Kesi

I understood that there are different WE396As around from the 60s and 70s, with the 60s being much better. I got mine (used) from Ebay, prices vary.
Here is the inside of the unit, where you can see that you have to wiggle out the tubes. I am not good at describing a/b sounds and how it affects mids and trebles, but for sure the WE396A sound more organic and tube like than the default ones.

I tried to attach a pic, but the upload file is too large even after downsizing.

I checked ebay and prices vary from $120 to $150 for NOS NIB WE396A matched pair, is the price correct? There are “black plates” variant, I’m so new to tubes and have zero idea of the market price.

Genpattonjames

The tube replacement is very interesting. I had assumed that you had to use the Tubes that came with the iFi Pro. I will check this out. I too have the iFi Pro. While I much appreciate Amirim's reviews. (I almost purchased a pair of speakers and then read the review from this site. Happened to stumble on the review of the ELAC DBR62 Speakers and I could not be happier!). However, when it comes to the iFi Pro I think it's more about what is important to you. I live in Vancouver, Canada and in December of 2020 managed to get the iFi Pro with a pair of Audeze LCD-2 Fazer. Separating the pricing I paid a little over $ 1,500.00 for the iFi Pro. I also purchased a pair of Focal Elear. (Very different sound). I have had at least four other brands of Headphone amplifiers, including one from Schiit, and one from Audio-GD. All were Sold. For me, the iFi Pro is a keeper. With the huge amount of input and outputs on it, the ability to change the sound with both the 3D and the Xbass are features I really appreciate. I still appreciate the review, however, I am glad I purchased it. It's not for everyone, but for some of us, it's perfect! Now it's time to go Tube searching!

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is like buying a Porsche and have them charge you extra for a mode that drops half the horsepower and telling you that you should like.
Actually now, with a Taycan reality, they do just that. They call it their 'internal combustion engine'.

I still appreciate the review, however, I am glad I purchased it. It's not for everyone, but for some of us, it's perfect! Now it's time to go Tube searching!

Check out a tube site. The numbering system for tubes is confusing and there are tubes with different designations that are identical or functionally identical for certain uses. I have an amp that came with a 6bz7, I replaced with a 6922/e88cc and can take the funcationally identical 12axy or the less powerful 12auy or 12aty.

Confused yet?

And for you tubehaters out there wondering: yes, I still play with my food.

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor
I really like this amp for certain headphones.
Up here in Canada they sold it for $2,499.00, plus tax (15%). $3K was way too high for me. I was able to find a used one for $1,500Cdn. though.
I had an iFi amp before (iFi MIcro iCAN SE), and what I enjoyed most with it was the X-bass and 3D sound effects. With the Pro iCAN those features and the huge power numbers also intrigued me.
You really do need the small volume remote due to how close the knobs are. Mine was short the remote so I had to contact iFi.

With 3D and X-bass wide open and the amp in tube mode I love this unit with my T60 Argons and Monoprice M1570's. I also just picked up some HE6se V2's on sale from Adorama. This pairing is a Lot of fun.

alekc

I really like this amp for certain headphones.
Up here in Canada they sold it for $2,499.00, plus tax (15%). $3K was way too high for me. I was able to find a used one for $1,500Cdn. though.
I had an iFi amp before (iFi MIcro iCAN SE), and what I enjoyed most with it was the X-bass and 3D sound effects. With the Pro iCAN those features and the huge power numbers also intrigued me.
You really do need the small volume remote due to how close the knobs are. Mine was short the remote so I had to contact iFi.

With 3D and X-bass wide open and the amp in tube mode I love this unit with my T60 Argons and Monoprice M1570's. I also just picked up some HE6se V2's on sale from Adorama. This pairing is a Lot of fun.
Indeed. Pro iCan shows how great is Micro iCan SE considering their price levels. SE made me to buy Pro eventually and while Pro is not a master in any particular area I still like it very much.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate this review. Here’s my own take on the successor to this unit.

I recently purchased the Pro iCAN Signature, which seems to significantly overcome the output limitations of its predecessor—it comes with a balanced 4.4 mm headphone output, a single-ended 3.5mm, both balanced and single-ended 6.3mm jacks, a stereo XLR balanced jack, and dual-mono left and right XLR balanced jacks on the front panel, along with unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR line outputs on the rear panel. It also adds a wireless remote with a mechanized volume pot, and comes with a very robust “iPower Elite” ANC power supply—whether this offers any benefits is unclear in the absence of measurements.

They also claim to have revised the internal circuitry with “higher grade” components, and the amp now advertises a balanced output power of 14 watts (!) at 16 ohms (4.8 watts single-ended). There are three gain settings (0, +9db and +18db), along with four input stages—three unbalanced RCA inputs and one balanced XLR input, all on the rear panel. There is a dial on the front to select between inputs.

It comes with a tube upgrade as well, with matched NOS GE 5670s, apparently from a proprietary supply they managed to obtain somehow. This is the equivalent of WE 2c51s and 396A’s, along with the matched NOS Bendix 5670s I rolled into mine (note that this voids the warranty, as the chassis has to be disassembled to access the tube sockets).

The tubes do glow on their own, but I noticed that iFi added an LED lamp beneath the tube section to artificially enhance the effect (personal opinion on whether this is nifty or cheesy). In my experience, I have noticed none of the audio interruptions Amir described when switching between solid state and tube modes in the original. It does still have the Tube+ option, but I dislike the sound and don’t use it.

I paired this unit with the Topping D90se I purchased on the advice of Amir’s testing and review, and I’ve been quite happy with the results. It certainly has plenty of juice to drive any headphone, including my Utopias and Susvaras. I sought it out mainly for its analog bass enhancement, which has now been expanded to provide boosts at four discrete low end frequencies, all with some Q overlap—and with it engaged I can overcome the roll off on the Utopias without the use of external DSPs. The added bass is subtle and does not seem to cause any boominess or loss of detail to my ears.

The unit still includes the “3D holograph” crossfeed equivalent intended to mimic more speaker-like conditions, and although I cannot say whether they improved this function in the Signature, I experience the same tone alterations and gutting of the bass that Amir described in his review of the original, and I never use this feature. Some have claimed that it is more effective in floor or bookshelf speaker setups than with headphone use, but I haven’t tried this to confirm—and the claim seems counterintuitive.

One controversial feature that has been useful to me is iFi’s ieMatch tech that they integrated into both the 4.4mm and 3.5mm headphone jacks. The execution of it here seems entirely different from the passive nature of the external devices they sell, which are meant to be placed in line with the headphone cable and have to be manually set by the user (with the guidance of ifi’s “Headphone Calculator”). As it’s employed in the Pro iCAN Sig, the ieMatch circuitry allegedly “detects” the sensitivity of the headphones attached, and makes adjustments to the output impedance accordingly—ostensibly to improve the S/N, per iFi. I cannot speak to the logic or validity of this claim without the assistance of those with a higher level of EE knowledge than I.

But on practical terms, when I previously used the balanced XLR headphone jack with my Utopias, I was forced to choose the lowest gain setting to obtain optimal volume ranges. At this zero gain setting, particularly when I had the xBass engaged, I experienced significant clipping at higher volumes, with the usual alarming pop coming from my drivers. However when I eventually switched to a 4.4mm headphone cable and ieMatch was engaged, I was now able to kick up the gain to 18db, and could not get the amp to clip no matter how much bass I threw at it, well above comfortable listening ranges. I experienced similar results with my Susvaras and Z1Rs. To my anecdotal ears the results are fantastic.

To my knowledge, other than perhaps the DAC/amp/DSP RME ADI-2, I know of no amp-only offering that includes ASP bass enhancements like the Pro iCAN Signature does, although I welcome feedback with alternatives. If this weren’t my only amplifier, I would gladly submit it to Amir for his assessment, but hopefully another user or iFi themselves will consider doing so, to verify if the Signature does indeed resolve the issues Amir encountered with the original.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Apology for the very belated reply, but I have the signature model of the Pro iCAN and I rolled the tubes with a matched set of NOS Bendix 5670s, which next to the WE 396a is considered by many to be the “Holy Grail” of this valve category. You have to partially disassemble the unit to replace the tubes, which once done is quite simple—you just gently pull the existing tubes by rocking back and forth (being careful not to bend the pins), and plug the new ones in. The YouTube links show how to open the chassis.

Be forewarned that doing this voids the warranty, if it’s discovered that you did it. But there are no seals involved that would leave evidence if you’re careful during the process. In my case, the stock NOS GE 5670s with the Signature are quite good, but the Bendix and WE are fairly legendary and I wanted the best. I have no valid measurements for comparison other than my own anecdotal ears, and I’ve been pleased. I do know that iFi upgraded the stock tubes for the original unit, so the differences may be more pronounced with the Signature’s predecessor. I’ve also attached ifi’s tech lowdown on their stock tubes for curiosity’s sake. Cheers!

Top Bottom