• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi Pro iCAN Headphone Amplifier Review

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now I'm curious of ASR's review of the SPL Phonitor (any of them) and the Emotiva A100 as headphone amps which are the other amps for power anxious people looking for "headroom" over stuff like jds atom.
Emotiva A100 has a very high noise floor for me on both HD6XX and T50rp. I don't know if it is just me got this problem because other people still talks about this amp like it is not broken, or probably I can't get it to enough volume to let the noise floor go away.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Been looking at this thing more and more in images. I really love the look and the dial indices of this thing for example. I take back what I said about the face lift. They should keep it, but just update some of the connectors (keep the same amount, I like the symmetry and just all the knobs and shit).

This thing in it's stack looks so nice :) And looking over some of the features and wealth of connectors - I actually feel like getting one..

I am also a fan of the way it looks, and so far haven't had any problems with it in close to 4 years.
I did get it for about $500 less than the usual cost, bought it as a package with some Audeze LCD-3f headphones, came out to about $1200 each.
I know, still pricey, lol.

kn0ppers

They should keep it, but just update some of the connectors (keep the same amount, I like the symmetry and just all the knobs and shit).

This thing in it's stack looks so nice :) And looking over some of the features and wealth of connectors - I actually feel like getting one..

I don't quite get what you are trying to say? "Update the connectors" - what is that supposed to mean? The connector layout has been explained here and apart from a 4,4mm jack, there is really nothing you could add, change, remove or update without losing functionality or symmetry of the design.

Also I don't get why everyone is so impressed by how good the stack looks. I mean it's certainly a matter of taste, but to me it looks pretty standard or 0815 as we would say in Germany. I say this taking the price into account, not comparing it to devices that cost a fraction of the price.

The thing is with people saying "update it", "match others in performance". If I recall correctly this design uses no integrated circuits within the signal chain, so no OpAmps. "Simply" improving measured performance to the level of some other amps, comes with some extra challenges in a completely discrete design. Not saying it can't be done, just saying it will probably be more expensive than this one if someone does it.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
At this premium price a volume control like Benchmark's HPA4 would have been nice and made it more competitive.
The Benchmark HPA4 is $3k and from what I understand they have no trouble selling them at that price. Expecting it at the $1800 price point is probably a bit unrealistic.

Tom

Music1969

Major Contributor
The Benchmark HPA4 is $3k and from what I understand they have no trouble selling them at that price. Expecting it at the $1800 price point is probably a bit unrealistic.

Does the type of volume control in HPA4 cost more than $100, in parts? What would be the price increase over the ALP pot used in the iFi?

Edit: As JohnYang1997 mentions below, "Schiit Ragnarok is 1499"

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Schiit Ragnarok is 1499, just for reference.

Thanks!

1585548402816.png

kn0ppers

Interesting, so Schiit use a motorized Alps RK27 in combination with a microcontroller that reads it's value and controls a relay based stepped attenuator accordingly. Never thought about that option. You need the microcontroller for remote functionality anyway and you get the motorized pot and the feel of an Alps RK27. Ragnarok is a big integrated amplifier, so space isn't as limited, but in usual Schiit manner, they still put it on a raised daughterboard.

If you are wondering about BOM cost, in quantities around 1000, your average DPDT signal relay is around 1 USD on average I think, some are considerably more expensive, some are cheaper. 0805 precision thin film resistors can be had for about 5ct in larger quantities, potentially less. Then consider the number of channels, the number of steps, add a microcontroller and either a pot or rotary encoder. The math is relatively easy. BUT having a resistor ladder means you will need more board space, board space (especially on a 4 Layer board which you will probably need depending on how dense your design is) will cost money, having many different resistor values means it will have more total parts, increasing assembly cost. Also the use of daughterboards means more PCBs and interconnects requiring manual assembly. Then there is the issue that using many parts likely increases your capital commitment and capital cost....so basically what I want to say, it's not only the pure cost of the parts that plays a role there.

HPA-4 has 256 steps, Schiit has 128 steps. Just to add to that comparison.

DEXCOM7

The Benchmark HPA4 is $3k

And I almost bought it, until I found from research and others here, that the HPA4 internally is very similar to a 789 or 887.
How can I justify buying the HPA4? Yes the touchscreen is very nice but if we are talking aesthetics here, the HPA4 has not caught up with time ether. The "extras" do not justify the price for me. I went for something that fit's my needs, I happily pay the 1799. :)

bidn

While with the THD+N @ 300 Ohm test the HPA4 leaves the iCAN Pro in the dust,
with the THD+N @ 50 Ohm the iCAN Pro seems a little better.

With the THD+N @ 50 Ohm, I see on the graphs:

The iCAN reaches -110 dB at 10 mW, and then about -112 dB at 25 mW while the HPA4 reaches -108 dB (0,0004%) at 10 mW, -110,5 dB (0,0003%) at 20 mW and then -114 dB (0,0002%), but only at 60 mW.

Going now to the faintest power, at 10 µW the iCAN is at -82 dB (= 0,008%), while the HPA4 is at -78dB (0,012% ).

Given the linearity of the curves between 2 µW and 12 mW, this means that in that interval the iCAN's curve's is below that of the HPA4, i.e. the iCAN has a better THD+N there, but only by a few dB, for 50 Ohm transducers.

As the impedance increases, the opposite happens (since at 300Ohm the HPA4 crushes the iCAN, which becomes dirtier and start distorting heavily at an early stage). Nevertheless the iCAN is cleaner for low impedance transducers at low volume (until 12mW), which is quite nice.

Last edited:

CJ Miller

Forum Donor
This performance shouldnt be much of a surprise. Theres been a pretty hit or miss response to this device among reviewers. Probably would have been more miss if folks werent telling themselves the price means it must be good.

DEXCOM7

Schiit Ragnarok is 1499, just for reference.
Indeed and is twice the size. Which fro some could be a problem... Me :)

So far I am very impress at the performance I am getting out of the pro. The ability to switch cans and IEMs without having to have several amps in my desk has been very useful. :)

On the other hand it render a lot of my equipment useless. No more Loki needed and I took the Saga S out of the chain. I also noticed that the iCan Pro just does not like the Fulla 2, it sounds like garbage at medium gain.... To much hizzzzz.... So that one is out of the chain...

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the iFi Pro iCAN headphone amplifier and preamp. It is on kind loan from a member. The iCAN costs US $1,799 from Amazon including Prime shipping so quite expensive.

There are more selectors and controls than any headphone amplifier:

The labels are clear in the picture but I had a heck of a time reading them in my typical workstation environment. Type is small and against silver background with too little contrast.

The headphone outputs are a mess. There is no standard 1/4 inch headphone out. Yes, there are two of those but they are for balanced headphones that have two 1/4 inch headphone jacks. There is a 3.5mm headphone socket but that seems to have huge attenuation, making it unable to drive any non-IEM headphone. Then there is 3.5mm balanced socket which is not common. The only common connector is the 4-pin connector. This is a mess in general in the industry but ifi takes it to another level here, putting so many on the device yet not the ones you may need.

There are various crossfeed/effects which I did not test. And some bass EQ boost which I did measure.

Most unique is the ability to switch from solid state to tube with both low and high levels of feedback. There is a nice internal timer that keeps the sound going in solid state while the tube warms up. But then strangely shuts off the sound for one or so second and then switches over. Why not wait the full amount to allow instant AB switch? Same deal exists with the gain switch which is odd.

I did not like the placement of the volume control in that my thumb would not fit between it, and the effects selector. And I have pretty narrow fingers.

There is some kind of wired remote but not wireless???

The back panel shows rich set of connections:

A large, laptop sized switching power supply drives the unit. It has ifi sticker on it and seems to have some of their bits in it.

Nice to see balanced output, allowing the unit to be used as a balanced preamplifier.

Preamplifier Amplifier Measurements
I thought I start with measuring the unit as a preamplifier, XLR in and out on the back. Glad I did that as performance is quite good in that mode:

View attachment 55837

Switching on the tube reduces performance but distortion and noise are still kept pretty low for a tube implementation:

View attachment 55838

Switching to tube+ brings full brunt of tube distortion but still, not crazy bad:

View attachment 55839

Notice that output is third-harmonic dominant, not the 2nd harmonic that people praise.

Notice that the gain goes down in each step which makes direct comparisons more difficult due to change in volume.

Noise performance is quite good in all three modes:
View attachment 55841

Indeed it is state of the art in solid state mode (left).

Frequency response is ruler flat to ultrasonics and beyond:

View attachment 55842

Notice the varying gain level I mentioned earlier.

Headphone Amplifier Audio Measurements
Keeping the input as XLR but switching to front XLR headphone jack gives us this frequency response with varying bass level boost:

View attachment 55843

As you see, there is little relationship between labeling and the actual behavior. 10 Hz setting for example, starts to boost from 200 Hz down!

Here is the all important distortion+noise in balanced mode versus power in solid state mode:
View attachment 55844

Once again we see excellent low-noise performance. Distortion though, in all three gain settings starts to take over noise at just 30 milliwatts.

Good news is ample amount of power though, reaching to whopping 5.2 watts with both channels driven! There is quite a bit of distortion then but still, if you need the power, it is there.

Keeping the gain in high setting and changing solid state to tube and then tube+ tells us what we already know:

View attachment 55845

Tube+ is especially bad, getting distorted earlier and going up quite fast.

Signal to noise ratio is essentially the same as preamp mode but now we get to measure the performance at 50 millivolts:

View attachment 55846

View attachment 55847

I was surprised that the output impedance was a bit high, especially for this class device:

View attachment 55848

This was for balanced so I guess it is not so bad for unbalanced at half as much.

I measured the 300 ohm performance but with just one leg of the output (1/4 jack):

View attachment 55861

This is similar curve to 50 ohm tests.

Channel balance started well but then fell apart early:
View attachment 55862

Given the 0 dB mode and the attenuation on the 3.5 mm output, this may still be OK in practice.

Headphone Listening Tests
I started testing with Sennheiser HD-650 with the 3.5 mm adapter. There, the volume was way low and quickly got distorted, telling me this has the ifi voltage divider on the output. So there was no sense in testing this output further.

I switched to Ether CX with balanced cable with its 25 ohm and inefficient design. The iCAN drove these to maddeningly high SPL levels in solid state mode. This is one powerful headphone amplifier.

I toggled the mode switch to Tube and the difference was very subtle. Due to long switchover time, direct comparison was difficult. I thought there was some difference but I could not quantify it, or give points for either mode.

No such problem with Tube+ mode. Performance dropped massively, with bass taking a big hit, becoming soft. Overall sound was dull and unexciting even after I turned up the volume. It is like buying a Porsche and have them charge you extra for a mode that drops half the horsepower and telling you that you should like it!

Conclusions
Avid readers of ASR know that we have embarrassment of riches when it comes to superbly sounding and performing headphone amplifiers these days. Prices are at a fraction of the ifi Pro iCAN as well. The iCAN has a fancier case than some so maybe that is worth a bit. But not much after that.

I suggest ifi redesign this model, get rid of the tube nonsense, put in proper 1/4 headphone jack, and a wireless remote. Price it well below US $1,000 and there may be a market for it.

Until then, I cannot recommend the ifi Pro iCAN for anything but the most power hungry headphone out there, or its preamp functionality. Overall, it is a pass for me.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Can't go out for sushi so thought to make my own at home. Need some money for quality sushi-grade fish. So please donate what you using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thanks for this review @amirm; I've been waiting for an objective view on this amp for a long time. It's the one most often shown on forums and social media as being the top end or 'grail' setup, but once again such a device has been exposed to be sub standard for the money.

This is the nail in the coffin for iFi for me. I already had a bad experience with a portable amp of theirs. I think they put on a good dog and pony show on their website with slogans, feature names and jargon (read bullshitting) but here the amp clearly comes up short. It's becoming clearer by the day that the 789 AAA THX is the amp to buy, especially at the new selling price.

This amp is a pass for me, online stack photo bragging rights be damned! :D

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Reminds me of those mini component systems from the early 80s

192324-akai_ucw5_ucs5_uca5_vintage_mini_hifi_set.jpg
I like these component systems more than anything iFi sells lol

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Does the type of volume control in HPA4 cost more than $100, in parts?
The relays are $3-4/each even it higher quantities. I'm assuming they're using 0.1% tolerance resistors as well. While they've come down in price, they're certainly not free - even if you buy them in reels of 5000.

Tom

Music1969

Major Contributor
The relays are $3-4/each even it higher quantities. I'm assuming they're using 0.1% tolerance resistors as well. While they've come down in price, they're certainly not free - even if you buy them in reels of 5000.

Tom

Noted. What I was hinting at was at this high price for the unit, charge $100 (or whatever the number is, not free) and have zero channel imbalance issues.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Funny. Because if they were to do that, the first complaint would be that their box is too expensive. :)

That said, they should be able to afford an ALPS RK271 "Blue Velvet" pot.

Tom

Music1969

Major Contributor
Funny. Because if they were to do that, the first complaint would be that their box is too expensive. :)

That said, they should be able to afford an ALPS RK271 "Blue Velvet" pot.

Tom

I dunno $1799 is already in expensive category, as it is. Too expensive for many, already...

Anyway the (cheap!) SMSL SH-9 nails things properly regarding channel imbalance...

Top Bottom