• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand-mounted vs. Floorstanding

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please can you let us know what do they do right, while you are it, can you please provide us with any measurements outlining their superiority in said areas ?

If they got paper cones for example they sound very natural.
No idea how to measure this.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Well sure, if you believe that room magically stops influencing speaker's response at transition frequency like it hit the invisible wall, well whatever rocks your boat I'm fine with it.
I said no such thing. All I've said is I agree with the research as I have no scientific basis from which to disagree with it. You don't either, but that hasn't stopped you from disagreeing with it.

Of course the room influences a speaker's response all the way up. I agree with the research that says at high frequencies our ears separate direct and early reflections from late arriving reflections--which is why many who do EQ at low frequencies, will not EQ at high frequencies based upon the steady state room curve--possibly messing up the direct sound to "fix" late arriving reflections. So if that's your standard for "using room EQ," then you are correct to be skeptical as most of us don't agree it's generally the right thing to do.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

To accurately reproduce that kick drum, you need this subwoofer...

Giant Subwoofer 2.jpg

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Fullranges have their drawbacks also but some do so many things right that it doesn't matter (for me at least).
I use a custom enclosure and a phaseplug kind of thing on my triple cones.
Nice natural sound.
After listening to fullranges for a while the sound of multiways seems to be torn/disunited to me.
.... Mmmmmm.... They have too many significant drawbacks.

A800

.... Mmmmmm.... They have too many significant drawbacks.
Have you listened to the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC or the Fane Sovereign 15-300TC?
The 12 inch changed my mind.

A800

I'm afraid you can't. It's a fundamental problem of cone size V signal wavelength.

I used a V-shaped vertical rod in front of it.
Worked for me.

A800

Did you measure it?

Yes.
Since the highs were still somewhat dominant (on axis, off axis not so much) I used a small square shaped piece of polyester fleece in the middle on axis on that rod to dampen the highs a bit and then it sounded fine.
I didn't bother to measure it afterwards though.

Bear123

Are you seriously using this and consider it full range? It's 40dB down by 10kHz!:facepalm:

Yes, but just imagine the bone crushing full range bass you get from 3.5mm Xmax. ;)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It is not.
Due to the triple cones it will go up to 18kHz easily.
The measurements are there in front of you. It does no such thing.

There is a difference between having a response and having a flat response.

ALso the cone will probably be breaking up.

A800

The measurements are there in front of you. It does no such thing.

Your "Measurement" says "Simulated Response" on top of the diagram.
Look at my post above which is a real measurement.

Top Bottom