• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stand-mounted vs. Floorstanding

Roy_L

A question I was never able to get an objective, clear response to:

Excluding anything relating to cost or room size, from a strictly technical standpoint, do stand-mounted speakers ("bookshelves") have any advantage over floorstanders, or are they a compromise in every respect? I'm not talking about 2way vs. 3way. I'm talking strictly about cabinet volume; i.e. - a 2way bookshelf vs. a 2way floorstander (or a bigger cabinet which isn't necessarily in floor configuration). It could also mean a 3way bookshelf vs. a 3way floorstander, but 3way bookshelves are rare, and for simplicity's sake I'm asking about 2ways (although any comment is welcome, of course).

So, if cost is not an issue, all other things are equal (driver size etc.) and I have great acoustics that can hold any speaker, is there any objective reason to prefer a bookshelf speaker over a bigger one? are there any advantages which are inherent to the bookshelf configuration, or is it by definition a space saving compromise?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A floorstanding speaker is a bookshelf speaker with a fat foot, all things being equal. Perhaps the baffle step will differ?

raindance

Major Contributor
You may have a room with bass issues where a bookshelf speaker's limited bass doesn't excite the frequency that causes the issue. You could then use a subwoofer with DSP correction. This concept applies to 2-channel systems where there is no active crossover in use.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bookshelves don't have any inherent advantage. However, there are speakers with special capabilities sold in bookshelf form that do not have a tower equivalent(Genelec, D&D 8c, etc).

Floorstanders can have an advantage in bass output, but this is irrelevant if you are using subwoofers, which many do because they improve bass quality not just quantity.

In general I don't think the type comparison matters as much as comparison of specific models in a budget because the tradeoffs vary so much.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The floor stander will have a larger cabinet so the bass will have lower extension and sound better. That is the biggest advantage. Increased bass output, and better sounding bass.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I like floor-standers because I can just easily slide them around to get them where I like them. You just slide it here or there, and voila! There it is, right where I wanted it! Pretty simplistic, but that’s me for you. :)

Midwest Blade

I am a big fan of stand mount speakers and when comparing stand mount vs floor standing in an identical two way I always find difference in the low end response. Would be interesting for ASR to actually do a comparison to see what makes up the difference.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never understood the attraction of stand mounts except for the possibility of putting them on bookshelves for non-critical applications.

There's no advantage I can think of whatsoever.

As to using subwoofers, that's also something I've never understood. Rather than have separate subs, just get bigger mains! The only benefit of subs I can think of is using them as stands for other wise good standmounts, and using some sort of DSP to remove the LF from the standmounts to improve their power handling and distortion.....again, just get bigger mains.

I accept that HT applications may be different, but then I've never concerned myself with explosions in HiFi.

S

OP
R

Roy_L

So, all things being equal, bigger is simply better?
(Objectively, on a technical level. Of course personal preferences may vary. Personally, I've heard and owned great speakers in all configurations).

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Your money is more focused on mid and tweeter quality, the stands are much cheaper per cubic foot of mass. I move a lot. Breaking down to speakers, stands and sub are easier to move than big floor standers

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
(Objectively, on a technical level. Of course personal preferences may vary. Personally, I've heard and owned great speakers in all configurations).
Yes on a technical level its better to be bigger. I don't know the science but you can easily look it up or have some other more knowledgeable person here explain why having a larger enclosure is better for the bass. I know from experience that larger woofers in large volume cabinets do things that no standmount ever could. The sound of a kickdrum at 100dB on a 15" woofer sounds has a completley different timbre and impact then it does on a 5" one.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think so, but the important thing is 'all things being equal'. If a cheap floorstander is cheap because of a poor cabinet or drivers, then a standmount may be better. Generally, however, I think a very good floorstander will be more satisfying than a stand mount, if for no other reason than bass extension.

S

raindance

Major Contributor
I've never understood the attraction of stand mounts except for the possibility of putting them on bookshelves for non-critical applications.

There's no advantage I can think of whatsoever.

As to using subwoofers, that's also something I've never understood. Rather than have separate subs, just get bigger mains! The only benefit of subs I can think of is using them as stands for other wise good standmounts, and using some sort of DSP to remove the LF from the standmounts to improve their power handling and distortion.....again, just get bigger mains.

I accept that HT applications may be different, but then I've never concerned myself with explosions in HiFi.

S

The correct location of a sub for best bass is almost never the correct location for one of your main speakers, so there are good reasons to use them - if you want flat low frequency response - however, I am starting to find that I prefer my Magnepans' bass without subs and that those lower frequencies don't add an awful lot to music enjoyment.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I like floor-standers because I can just easily slide them around to get them where I like them. You just slide it here or there, and voila! There it is, right where I wanted it! Pretty simplistic, but that’s me for you. :)

I'm not sure how that's easier than just moving the speaker on a stand...:rolleyes:;):cool:

Plus my (butt ugly, I admit) JBL's have such handy handles! I think the old HSU Sub's make a good stand...

Yes, I'm single...

15843918337945576056684719184473.jpg

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I don't know the science but you can easily look it up or have some other more knowledgeable person here explain why having a larger enclosure is better for the bass. I know from experience that larger woofers in large volume cabinets do things that no standmount ever could. The sound of a kickdrum at 100dB on a 15" woofer sounds has a completley different timbre and impact then it does on a 5" one.
Yup. Hoffman's Iron Law is a bitch! ;)

Top Bottom