• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk T15 Bookshelf Speaker Review

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look, I don't want to be "that" guy but are we going to now ignore objective data (the purpose of these reviews) in lieu of an informal listening test?

If anything, I think this shows how important it is to objectively test properly if it is deemed the reference axis is incorrect. It was objectively tested at one axis but subjectively evaluated on another reference axis?... At that point, you can't accurately compare the two sets of "data", nevermind the fact that the correct reference axis may not have been used. But that's been beat to death in earlier review threads...
Well, this also shows that listening angle is very important.
Many people have desk setups where they don’t angle the speakers up, so even if a speaker has pretty awesome horizontal performance, if it’s vertical performance doesn’t lend itself to that placement, tough luck.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Sold thousands of them, but not a single angled mount that attaches to a routed MDF/Particle Board keyhole slot.
B5F9E076-0327-4ED7-BF8D-5B24C4F931D2.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Well done finding brackets that angle and attach to the non-reinforced keyhole to wall or ceiling mount these things. :) At $14.95 a pair, the brackets are in the same quality league as the speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't even trust this type of keyhole mount (below), steel reinforced and screwed keyhole on the back of a Dali Zensor 1. They are too heavy for this long-term, especially in a humid climate.

1582770261487.jpeg

But then again it's only Jethro (JD to his mates, as he drinks a bottle of Jack Daniels every night) in the trailer park who will be buying these Poverty Pack Polk L15s reviewed, and he certainly won't notice when they fall off the wall playing AC/DC Live in Concert on his 85" flat panel, 7.1 system all bought on extended credit.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about doing that but didn't want to spend 3 hours measuring it versus testing another speaker.
Unless the cancellation is perfect, bringing them into phase would probably create a big peak at Fc and likely another dip elsewhere.

gvl

Major Contributor
I thought about doing that but didn't want to spend 3 hours measuring it versus testing another speaker.

What if it's a gem of a speaker after a simple mod?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What if it's a gem of a speaker after a simple mod?
Well, one of you spend the time simulating it before putting me through the work. :)

Haint

Audioholics found that the tweeter height is not the reference angle:

Seeing as how these are marketed as surrounds, this makes plenty sense.

@amirm, did you compute the minimum far-field distance? And as asked by others, can this be a standard aspect to include?
And, I'm guessing it's too much to ask to re-measure but at -20V degrees being reference? Just changing the on-axis to the -20V bumped the preference score to a 1.4, over a full point boost.

Is it cheaper to produce speakers with these odd off-axis characteristics that somehow, somewhat correct on-axis performance? IIRC Audioholics has pointed out similar behavior in some budget Dayton's. Are they really, purposefully producing bad speakers based solely on the assumption Joe Sixpack's going to use them wildly off axis, or is that just a convenient dumb luck excuse?

Last edited:

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Making fun of people who can't afford expensive audio equipment? How very audiophile of you.

You stay classy ASR.

Right there with you. I've lived on both sides of the tracks. In a lot of ways I still spend like I was on the wrong side. Testing inexpensive speakers so people who live on a tight budget can enjoy great sound is very classy. :)

And I'm sure you can still enjoy good music with the Polks. I'm cool with the shrugging panther.

laudio

I took at look at the Amazon reviews for these. 2272 reviews with a 4.6 rating? Measurement don't always tell the full story with speakers for customer satisfaction. Same for DACs actually.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Making fun of people who can't afford expensive audio equipment? How very audiophile of you.

Oh please! Jethro* just has different priorities in his life. He spends his money on Jack Daniels each night, and put his low end audio equipment on credit. His choice, not yours or mine. These Polks are right up his alley.

Jethro's younger brother Billy-Bob* has the same cash-flow, but dried out for 3 years and saved like a demon. At $26.99 bottle for JD, 5 nights out of seven, he was able to buy a pair of TOTL $24K ASR approved Revel speakers for his trailer. Not only that, he lost a ton of weight, and met Tammy-Jo* two doors down, who just happens to like HiFi equipment and audio. A match made in heaven perhaps.

We shall see in the next episode of Cheap-Ass BOTL Speakers that, shock-horror, measure poorly.

*Names have been changed to protect the not so innocent.

Last edited:

AudioTodd

Well done finding brackets that angle and attach to the non-reinforced keyhole to wall or ceiling mount these things. :) At $14.95 a pair, the brackets are in the same quality league as the speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't even trust this type of keyhole mount (below), steel reinforced and screwed keyhole on the back of a Dali Zensor 1. They are too heavy for this long-term, especially in a humid climate.

View attachment 51907

But then again it's only Jethro (JD to his mates, as he drinks a bottle of Jack Daniels every night) in the trailer park who will be buying these Poverty Pack Polk L15s reviewed, and he certainly won't notice when they fall off the wall playing AC/DC Live in Concert on his 85" flat panel, 7.1 system all bought on extended credit.
Right there with you. I've lived on both sides of the tracks. In a lot of ways I still spend like I was on the wrong side. Testing inexpensive speakers so people who live on a tight budget can enjoy great sound is very classy. :)

And I'm sure you can still enjoy good music with the Polks. I'm cool with the shrugging panther.
Yeah! My living conditions have varied quite a bit as well and I’ve still got very good friends that would probably be quite happy with these. Honestly, though, they would never go to the trouble to hang them on a wall or even make sure they are symmetrically placed reference to the extended “sweet spot” they prefer that stretches from the couch to the recliner. More likely, they would be placed on diagonal corners of the room or actually, GASP, PLACED ON BOOKSHELVES as advertised. They think I am STUPID when I lie and tell them my stuff cost 10% of what it did... To each his own!! As for the frequency response, anybody remember how EVERY graphic equalizer you’ve ever seen was set? Or how the tone controls on your car stereo had been changed back when your car spent days in the shop and NOBODY EVER CALLED OR EMAILED YOU WITH A SATISFACTION SURVEY? Some people would rock out with these until they blew up and then buy new ones once they noticed it.

AudioTodd

Oh please! Jethro* just has different priorities in his life. He spends his money on Jack Daniels each night, and put his low end audio equipment on credit. His choice, not yours or mine. These Polks are right up his alley.

Jethro's younger brother Billy-Bob* has the same cash-flow, but dried out for six months and saved like a demon. At $26.99 bottle for JD, 5 nights out of seven, he was able to buy a pair of TOTL $24K ASR approved Revel speakers for his trailer. Not only that, he lost a ton of weight, and met Tammy-Jo* two doors down, who just happens to like HiFi equipment and audio. A match made in heaven perhaps.

We shall see in the next episode of Cheap-Ass BOTL Speakers that, shock-horror, measure poorly.

*Names have been changed to protect the not so innocent.
KNOW THESE FOLKS TOO!!!!

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Yeah! My living conditions have varied quite a bit as well and I’ve still got very good friends that would probably be quite happy with these. Honestly, though, they would never go to the trouble to hang them on a wall or even make sure they are symmetrically placed reference to the extended “sweet spot” they prefer that stretches from the couch to the recliner. More likely, they would be placed on diagonal corners of the room or actually, GASP, PLACED ON BOOKSHELVES as advertised. They think I am STUPID when I lie and tell them my stuff cost 10% of what it did... To each his own!! As for the frequency response, anybody remember how EVERY graphic equalizer you’ve ever seen was set? Or how the tone controls on your car stereo had been changed back when your car spent days in the shop and NOBODY EVER CALLED OR EMAILED YOU WITH A SATISFACTION SURVEY? Some people would rock out with these until they blew up and then buy new ones once they noticed it.

Yep. :cool:

1582776397287.png

1582776594586.png

Last edited:

Hugo9000

Is it cheaper to produce speakers with these odd off-axis characteristics that somehow, somewhat correct on-axis performance? IIRC Audioholics has pointed out similar behavior in some budget Dayton's. Are they really, purposefully producing bad speakers based solely on the assumption Joe Sixpack's going to use them wildly off axis, or is that just a convenient dumb luck excuse?
I'm going to take a guess and suggest that it could be similar to what drug companies do. You try to make a product that has efficacy in a certain area, yet in your testing, you find it doesn't work as intended. However, you see a 'side effect' that can be monetized, so your time and money wasn't all wasted after all. In some instances, the 'side effect' ends up being more valuable than if the product had worked as initially intended/designed/hoped. lol

laudio

I'm going to take a guess and suggest that it could be similar to what drug companies do. You try to make a product that has efficacy in a certain area, yet in your testing, you find it doesn't work as intended. However, you see a 'side effect' that can be monetized, so your time and money wasn't all wasted after all. In some instances, the 'side effect' ends up being more valuable than if the product had worked as initially intended/designed/hoped. lol

Drug companies spend far more than speaker builders ever did. But nothing has changed when making a speaker over the years - drivers still get thrown in a box without much design thought. Then again - wouldn't surprise me the tweeter is wired out of phase either when put together.

Top Bottom