• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube vs Solid State Amplifiers

Daverz

Major Contributor
For me the major point is "Tubes are expensive wear devices." Not sure about that grammar, but for my monoblock tube amps with a total of 8 power tubes, the expense is about $400 about every 2 years.

despoiler

Really informative. Lots of myths killed for the "all about the sound" audiophile and some for the measurementophile.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I see it from that point of view. If you like a good Amp a/b is cheaper as tubes. And Class D will be even cheaper.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me the major point is "Tubes are expensive wear devices." Not sure about that grammar, but for my monoblock tube amps with a total of 8 power tubes, the expense is about $400 about every 2 years.
This is, evidently, a large variable, depending upon how the amplifier 'stresses' the tube. I don't know how it is today, but ARC and CJ used to warranty their output tubes for 90 days. Hafler/Laurent (Dyna) EL-34 designs ran at a fraction of their rating, and lasted longer. NYAL amps had a two year tube warranty. Bob Carver offers a 5 year warranty on tubes, due to his circuit design.

However all that is, it's still more expensive than a SS device, typically.

ta240

Major Contributor
Really informative. Lots of myths killed for the "all about the sound" audiophile and some for the measurementophile.

It is interesting that they actually did a both sides review rather than a hit job on one side or the other. At 16:00 "there is absolutely no correlation between THD and people's perceived sound quality"

pma

Major Contributor
"there is absolutely no correlation between THD and people's perceived sound quality"

This is correct, however THD or better say nonlinear distortion is not the only parameter to consider. Personally, I see no single reason why to use tube power amplifiers. I would especially address issues with frequency response modulated by speaker impedance and difficulties to design and manufacture a good output transformer, this part is always more or less a compromise and is never good enough.

Celty

I've always liked Gene's videos and website, a common sense approach and honest.

audiophile

My current amp is tube-based. Prior to that I owned two ss amps. Both typologies can sound very good. With tubes price per watt becomes much higher and there are maintenance costs too. I have no urge to replace my current amp, but think I could be as much happy with a solid state one.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My current amp is tube-based. Prior to that I owned two ss amps. Both typologies can sound very good. With tubes price per watt becomes much higher and there are maintenance costs too. I have no urge to replace my current amp, but think I could be as much happy with a solid state one.
ok. so what?

cjfrbw

I currently have six variations of tube and solid state amps I use in rotation on my midrange ribbon (300Hz-7Khz). The two solid state (First Watt M2 and Pass DIY VFET) sound great and I use all of these amps according to mood from time to time.

Celty

I am so enjoying the ZMF Auteur on my solid state amp (Monolith 887), it sounds great, but I just could not ignore Zach (ZMF's owner) and many other ZMF users that they sound fantastic on a good tube amp. That meant some research, and I decided to talk to Glenn of Glenn Studio. He is a builder of tube amplifiers, on a custom basis, you can choose exactly what you want. I chose to order an OTL amplifier with some recommended upgrades. For me that includes:

A Lundahl transformer, two 6AS7 type output tubes, two 6J5 drivers instead of a 6SN7, and a rectifier tube, Gold Point stepped attenuator, Jupiter coupling capacitors, and XLR input/outputs.

I know many here don't think much of tubes, but the Glenn amps get a ton of love, including from ZMF, which is saying something, since they sell a different brand. When they go to Can Jam and other shows, one of the setups they use to exhibit what the ZMF headphones are capable of, they include a Glenn amp.

Glenn stays way busy, so I am on the waiting list. It will probably be a long wait, so I'll have to be patient. In the mean time I will just enjoy my current setup, it is producing excellent sound, so being able to compare them will be fascinating.

Celty

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a used, 10kg (22lb) single-ended 7wpc Musical Paradise MP301 Mk3 tube amp, and it's on the way from Florida to Panama right now, but for me, I really only decided to buy it for sentimental reasons. It will probably sound Just fine for most of my listening via my small speakers in a small room. My only source is mt Daphile/LibreElec (Kodi) "HTPC" via a Topping DX7s DAC with a volume control, so a preamp is not necessary.
MP-301-1.jpg

I found it on USAudiomart for $425 including shipping to my forwarder in Miami. It has an auto-bias feature, and can accommodate 6L6, EL34/6CA7, 5881, KT66, KT77 and KT88 output tubes. Although those who talk about the amp on internet forums never mention it, I would assume that only one of those tube types are optimized for maximum performance, or perhaps none - as a compromise for easy interchangeability. Also, it is my understanding that how hard you drive the tubes (plate voltage?) changes the "sonic signature" and affects tube longevity.

The amp includes a pair of JJ 6L6 power tubes plus 6J8P driver tubes, and also a pair of Gold Lion KT77's that came matched and tested from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. I will probably also buy a pair of tested and matched Tung Sol 6550 power tubes from Upscale - just for fun.

In a couple of months when I buy the 200ASC/200AC ICEpower modules from Parts Express and finish my 70wpc (8Ω) Ghent/ICEpower amp, I will end up having three power amps to play with. In addition to the flea-power Musical Paradise MP301 SE tube amp and the 70wpc (8Ω) Ghent/ICEpower amps, I will also still have the BIG and heavy 1990's 70wpc (8Ω) Classé Model 70 Class-AB amplifier that is currently installed in my main system.

Last edited:

Zog

if you want "tube sound" use a tubed pre-amp with a quality (neutral) SS amp
I have done this. My office system has an Ayon Pre with 6H30 tubes - it produces a euphonic sound. Another benefit is that the small signal tubes last vastly longer than the big signal tubes.

Top Bottom