• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver RAM285

searay_89

That might be the case. Of course, it's not really an excuse. Some of the best measuring electronics is from China.
It's definitely the case. Was posted over on thecarversite.

Designed in USA
Parts sourced from reputable/traceable sources (Digikey, Mouser) ... not sure where the tubes come from.
Built in China
Tested in USA

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's definitely the case. Was posted over on thecarversite.

Designed in USA
Parts sourced from reputable/traceable sources (Digikey, Mouser) ... not sure where the tubes come from.
Built in China
Tested in USA
I'm surprised they bother to design it here, honestly.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bob doesn't want to live in China?
Hard to believe anyone competent designs these, let alone Bob. You'll get results as good by copying from the RCA Receiving Tube Manual. Maybe better.

searay_89

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. If it's ever tested here, I'd guess that it's going to test much better than the previous models. Probably will meet its specifications. It seems that this amp was designed in direct response to the negative test results that the 275 received here. It appears that they want to dig themselves out of that hole. That said - not sure why they would go ahead and keep the "275" -> "285" naming scheme? The 2x75W amp weighs 19lbs, the 2x85W amp weighs 55lbs. Clearly a shift in design philosophy between the two.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2x75W amp weighs 19lbs, the 2x85W amp weighs 55lbs. Clearly a shift in design philosophy between the two.
I.e., they got caught scamming on the iron.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
I’m interested in reading impressions. Steve Gutenberg just reviewed it.
I’m surprised by the price. For the same price, you can get American made integrateds; Rogue chronus magnum and Cary SLI80HS.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was looking at the about section on the bobcarvercorp.com website....seems Bob had retired for a while and builds were someone else's....then Bob unretired in Feb 2022 and took back some key roles. This fit in with the 275/285 differences?

D

Deleted member 21219

I’m interested in reading impressions. Steve Gutenberg just reviewed it.
I’m surprised by the price. For the same price, you can get American made integrateds; Rogue chronus magnum and Cary SLI80HS.

True. Alternately, you can get a solid-state amp with gobs more power (and a slew of conveniences if an integrated) from some company that has greater integrity and displays greater engineering acumen. The choice is yours ... some people choose the one, some people choose the other. :)

Jim

guyboisvert

The picture posted shows a very nicely finished amplifier on the outside. If the inside build quality matches and the performance is good, it may be a successful product.

The price is certainly not obscene.
I'd say, obscene for the fidelity it has... But yeah, some people like colored sound...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say, obscene for the fidelity it has... But yeah, some people like colored sound...
Let alone the glow of the tubes plus any vu meters present, that seems to elevate this sort of gear far above their actual competence.

Top Bottom