• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding technical parameters of LPs.

Wombat

Master Contributor
PS: So I'm at an Aldi food store today with my wife, picking up some vegetables (Pineapples on sale, get 'em while you can) and on one of the aisles they had a box of records for sale. I'm thinking, "Great, some discounted records." I looked at the boxes and they were $18.00 a throw. I remember supermarket records selling for 99 cents. Anyhow, I couldn't resist and started flipping through. They had Elvis' Christmas record, and, of all things, Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix. I used to own that one as a kid. The original album artwork and everything. I thought about it, but just left the store with some pineapples and whatever else the Princess threw into the cart. As we were leaving, I was whistling 'the Wind Cries Mary'.

LPs,
Aldi Oz, Saturday Dec. 14: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-...saturday-detail-wk50/ps/p/vinyl-record-mix-2/

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And a $99 TT with speakers!

Mate, you gotta buy the styling stand for it too!

1575849553229.png

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've never heard a SET power / integrated amp. I suppose I need to do so in order to up my audiophile street cred.

OTOH, when I use an outboard phono stage, it's completely tube-based with passive RIAA. I uses 6DJ88 triodes. I they single-ended? Does the term even apply for small signal tubes?
Don't know all that much about tubes, but what I've read is that SET is in reference to early designs for output tubes, usually low power but not for preamps.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For $99, I'm tempted to buy it and send it to @amirm for testing.

That's a cruel joke.

I've picked up a few off the side of the road/opshops of that type of abominations. Often they have useful parts. Belts, an unused AT cartridge, bluetooth modules, small class D amplifiers etc.

I picked up one which had captive nut fully adjustable (height levelling) feet on it. Yes, on a piece of junk, they used rather nice feet- goodness knows why.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here is one of the feet. Two layer captive nut large feet which can be screwed to any height and then top/bottom locked against each other. Nice and large soft pads on the bottom and a bracket mouted ~1/4" threaded steel mount inside the cabinet. Someone at the Chinese factory must have had a thing for quality supports on what was otherwise a piece of junk.

feet (1).jpeg

feet (3).jpeg

feet (4).jpeg

feet (2).jpeg

Honestly, I've seen worse feet on $5K turntables! And this was on a unit that would record vinyl to an internal CDR or encode MP3s to an SD card.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Here is one of the feet. Two layer captive nut large feet which can be screwed to any height and then top/bottom locked against each other. Nice and large soft pads on the bottom and a bracket mouted ~1/4" threaded steel mount inside the cabinet. Someone at the Chinese factory must have had a thing for quality supports on what was otherwise a piece of junk.

View attachment 41857

View attachment 41858

View attachment 41859

View attachment 41860

Honestly, I've seen worse feet on $5K turntables! And this was on a unit that would record vinyl to an internal CDR or encode MP3s to an SD card.

Awesome feet make up for the ceramic cartridge!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

View attachment 41857

View attachment 41858

View attachment 41859

View attachment 41860

I bet you anything they were originally parts / feet for something totally different.

They probably had a bin of leftovers.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Did some playing today. Same cartridge (not the one from ^ ) with three different test records:

View attachment 41847

View attachment 41848

View attachment 41849

The XG7002 record follows closest to the factory measurement:

View attachment 41850
The STR120 has obvious problems and I am beginning to seriously doubt the value of measurements from the original CBS Labs LP's.

BTW I'm working on a Python script to do the azimuth adjustment routine, it seems fairly trivial but it's important to calibrate all the pre-amp channels in the signal chain.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
The STR120 has obvious problems and I am beginning to seriously doubt the value of measurements from the original CBS Labs LP's.

BTW I'm working on a Python script to do the azimuth adjustment routine, it seems fairly trivial but it's important to calibrate all the pre-amp channels in the signal chain.

Ooh I want to play with that one. My preamp channels happen to be rather well calibrated.

Here's the square wave response for the XL-88D from the CBS CTC-310 record:

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 8.51.14 PM 1.png

JP

Major Contributor

Hiten

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^
It's always a hoot to read one of those old Audio mags. I think I read every issue from the very early 70s till they folded. :(
The good ole days, detailed measurements on turntable mats. When people really cared about knowing the truth

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
^
It's always a hoot to read one of those old Audio mags. I think I read every issue from the very early 70s till they folded. :(
The good ole days, detailed measurements on turntable mats. When people really cared about knowing the truth
Frankly it almost makes me cry to see the state to which we (the Hifi world) have descended. It’s like if The Lancet had folded and we were left with Health and Homeopathy.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that. Summary: different mats emphasize/de-emphasize different parts of the audible spectrum. Vacuum hold down with a clamp provided the best damping effect.

However, I wonder about the experimental design, as to its actual validity to audible effects when playing records. Here's how it was done:

For this report. the test signal was applied as a mechanical impulse to the edge of the record. It was then picked up by a phono cartridge with its stylus resting in a stationary groove.

So they essentially hammered the side of a stationary record, stylus in groove, and measured the resulting impulse on a 'scope. OK. But whether that sort of test has any relation to an actual record spinning at 33.33 on a turntable positioned on a relatively isolated platform, away from gross acoustic feedback, is a question I cannot answer. My guess is that the relationship is possibly tenuous.

That said, one can easily observe the effects of vacuum hold down on tonarm/stylus motion, so I don't at all doubt that such a system is helpful.

Top Bottom