• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
It becomes problematic when there is about 100mV or more DC offset. With this you can potentially kill sensitive headphone drivers.

Can DC offset kill headphone cables, too? Just wondering if the excess DC can damage/'burn' the copper it's going through over time. I have these odd black marks on an older copper litz cable and that was my theory for it, but not sure it's plausible :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have seen different discoloration on copper cables carrying 24V in wet circumstances. I had to strip off a lot of insulation to get to clean copper.
That was caused by 24V DC over a very long period in outside conditions.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a quick question.
The Atom has to be powered up to allow sound to go to the RCA outputs?
There is no ability to just simply pass through the RCA input to output? That'd be nice if there was a simple switch and a couple of (4 shielded) jumper wires to just allow connected equipment to function unchanged when the headphone amp is not needed.

thomasjast

Just a quick question.
The Atom has to be powered up to allow sound to go to the RCA outputs?
There is no ability to just simply pass through the RCA input to output? That'd be nice if there was a simple switch and a couple of (4 shielded) jumper wires to just allow connected equipment to function unchanged when the headphone amp is not needed.

It has to be on for the pre-out to work.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It has to be on for the pre-out to work.
Thank you. I guessed this would be the case. So to use active speakers without turning this on, an unbalanced switcher box it is then, or deal with the Atom being powered on and imparting a little (likely inaudible) distortion.

MDrav

Hello!, does anyone has experience with the ATOM and HD58xs? They are usually described as "kinda easy" to drive headphones but I find myself having to use my Atom at around 1-3pm on high gain to get LOUD. Its more like 1pm loud, 2pm LOUD, 3pm TOO LOUD. I was planning on buying HD6xx but since those are 300ohm, I am not so sure anymore if it will be enough... The atom is like 3weeks old and my dac is a topping D50s that I just got 3 days ago... Is this power level normal or should I be concerned? I have read all over the place that Atom can power HD6xx and 600ohm alright but I am not so sure. Thanks in advance...

thomasjast

Hello!, does anyone has experience with the ATOM and HD58xs? They are usually described as "kinda easy" to drive headphones but I find myself having to use my Atom at around 1-3pm on high gain to get LOUD. Its more like 1pm loud, 2pm LOUD, 3pm TOO LOUD. I was planning on buying HD6xx but since those are 300ohm, I am not so sure anymore if it will be enough... The atom is like 3weeks old and my dac is a topping D50s that I just got 3 days ago... Is this power level normal or should I be concerned? I have read all over the place that Atom can power HD6xx and 600ohm alright but I am not so sure. Thanks in advance...

Whoa, we got all the same stuff! The HD58X is plenty hard to drive, but the 6XX aren't that much harder to drive. However, with 0dB output on the D50s + high gain is WAY louder than you can possibly (or should) handle. Unless you got Windows volume control way down, I can't imagine a scenario where the Atom isn't enough for any of these headphones. It basically turns them into speakers...

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The HD58X and HD6XX have the same voltage sensitivity so will play equally loud at the same volpot position.

Atom is perfectly suited for HD58X and HD6XX.

MDrav

Whoa, we got all the same stuff! The HD58X is plenty hard to drive, but the 6XX aren't that much harder to drive. However, with 0dB output on the D50s + high gain is WAY louder than you can possibly (or should) handle. Unless you got Windows volume control way down, I can't imagine a scenario where the Atom isn't enough for any of these headphones. It basically turns them into speakers...
I am using MAC with audirvana. It automatically sets it to full volume. I mean yes the 58x can turn into speakers but I thought that the atom was going to be more powerful. I thought that the atom could blow my 58xs on high gain if I wasnt careful, but they can handle full dial on high gain. I guess I like music way tooo loud but I was just not sure if it was something expected or not. Thaks for the reply! I will try to get the SP200 and see how I like that one...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have calculated Max. voltage: 8.5Vrms (24Vpp) is what the HD58X can handle continuously.
Peak level (as in music) it can handle even more.

The Atom can supply 8.6V so you can use it safely until it starts to distort.

MDrav

I have calculated Max. voltage: 8.5Vrms (24Vpp) is what the HD58X can handle continuously.
Peak level (as in music) it can handle even more.

The Atom can supply 8.6V so you can use it safely until it starts to distort.

Wao! thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it.

bboris77

I just checked JDS Labs ordering page and they took off the "new" tag from the Atom entry. Since they don't update their page that frequently, perhaps it means something new is on the way :)

jak

So, channels seem imbalanced below 8 o' clock. Is that normal? It seems more than 0.5 dB - like, I only notice sound on the right channel (there's actually sound on the left two, but it's drowned out by the right side).

That is, I have to reduce right channel on computer by 7 dB instead of my normal 3 dB at such levels (approx).

Last edited:

thomasjast

So, channels seem imbalanced below 8 o' clock. Is that normal? It seems more than 0.5 dB - like, I only notice sound on the right channel (there's actually sound on the left two, but it's drowned out by the right side).

That is, I have to reduce right channel on computer by 7 dB instead of my normal 3 dB at such levels (approx).

Yes, there is an imbalance for sure. I’ve tested with output recording and anything past 12 is basically perfect. I have the Atom maxed out in volume and control it with Windows volume control instead, or DAC if you’d like.

AnikBanic

Yes, there is an imbalance for sure. I’ve tested with output recording and anything past 12 is basically perfect. I have the Atom maxed out in volume and control it with Windows volume control instead, or DAC if you’d like.
I'm New to this but does the volume knob control the headphone volume, because i'm using the RCA line in with a DAC

magicscreen

My Atom using an cheap RCA cable sounded bad. I have replaced that cable for a similar cheap RCA cable. And now the Atom sounds great. I made some blind test.
How can that be possible? I am always reading the cable does not matter.
Should I buy a more expensive cable for a yet more better sound quality?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My Atom using an cheap RCA cable sounded bad. I have replaced that cable for a similar cheap RCA cable. And now the Atom sounds great. I made some blind test.
It means bad cable sounds bad. It doesn't mean expensive sound better.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

This should be very easy to record using a sound card.
Can you make a recording with the 2 different cables ?

Top Bottom