• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB high-speed isolators comparison tests

Alou

Most routers supplies are switching type, not linear.
Off course, the linear power unit is a seperate unit i had for a phono preamp.
I am goint to try some stable wall warts that some routers provided.

OP
C

carlmart

It costs a lot more money to design a good switching supply.

I don't think cheap ones are good for low level signal devices. But of course there might be exceptions.

OP
C

carlmart

Are you sure ? These are not rare to find but you are looking for 110V i forgot.

I live in Brasil, not the USA.

Either it comes from China, with a cheap shipping expense, or you pay an expensive one from the USA.

OP
C

carlmart

A good 5V 1amp wall wart is enough i think.

Defining "good" should be the question. I might listen to a few and see if there are any differences.

I might try to adapt one of the 12v supplies I have stored, adding a 5V regulator that fits inside.

Alou

Good means that if you can measure it it will give you stable output at the requirement current,in this case for the D10 is half amp
0,5A ,the max current a usb 2,0 port can give.A good phone charger (The one that came from the phone manufacturer ) will also work usually they are around 1A.

Alou

Here is a 5V 1A wall wart that has a stable output (Measured) it came with an older gigabit Ethernet hub (Cant remember the maker) this is more then enough for the "experiment" .

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_152228.jpg
    IMG_20191105_152228.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 101

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That doesn't mean you can not listen to a power supply.:)
I mean... it won't sound nice for sure but you can definitely listen to a power supply using the circuit I described.
It can even be educational.:cool:

Of course what carlmart is saying is that he thinks a power supply might change the sound of a DAC... which of course it doesn't.
A power supply could introduce common mode currents that may become audible or be so crappy/defective that the connected device operates outside of its intended voltage range.

OP
C

carlmart

When I said "listen" I didn't mean listening to the power supply, but to find out what may have changed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I understood, just thought I would give it a twist.

OP
C

carlmart

In my experience, and a I have a good ear trained for a lifetime as audio engineer, even a resistor can affect things in a system which is transparent enough. In my line of work you could not imagine things, so you can repeat things over and over and always pinpoint things.

That is just training, anyone can do it.

So a power supply will certainly affect things. Please not the word: affect. That doesn't mean improve or worsen.

Sorry if I do not trust measurements very much when they do not show something you are clearly listening to. The ear is a very sensitive tool if you know how to do it.

I have a friend who makes very high quality speakers, so we are constantly making tests.

Top Bottom