• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB high-speed isolators comparison tests

OP
C

carlmart

Sorry, but audio science without listening is lacking.

All serious audio magazines included both things: objective and subjective comments.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, and a I have a good ear trained for a lifetime as audio engineer, even a resistor can affect things in a system which is transparent enough. In my line of work you could not imagine things, so you can repeat things over and over and always pinpoint things.

That is just training, anyone can do it.

So a power supply will certainly affect things. Please not the word: affect. That doesn't mean improve or worsen.

Sorry if I do not trust measurements very much when they do not show something you are clearly listening to. The ear is a very sensitive tool if you know how to do it.

I have a friend who makes very high quality speakers, so we are constantly making tests.
Describe the system transparent enough to hear a resistor change.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oh no ... not Martin Colloms :facepalm:

OP
C

carlmart

Well, what about John Curl then? He's also a believer in the sound of resistors.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Sorry, but audio science without listening is lacking.
All serious audio magazines included both things: objective and subjective comments.
I can't think of any current magazines that do. While Stereophile does objective measurements, they don't do any ears only subjective comments.

OP
C

carlmart

I can't think of any current magazines that do. While Stereophile does objective measurements, they don't do any ears only subjective comments.

Stereophile absolutely did, sometimes even did subjective tests only. Maybe they changed their ways lately.

In any way I think designers like Walt Jung, Erno Borbely, and many others did and do pay particular attention to audio quality, subjective wise.

OP
C

carlmart

This is another more sophisticated 5V linear regulator that is reasonably priced, with a more economic shipping expense to Brazil.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32869469427.html

It's bulky, which I don't like, but it has two types output sockets, and the LT1085 regulator is a good one.

I am not sure about the transformer choices, which doubles the price on the Talema option, would bring what.

One thing that I miss in most of these boxes is a locking type socket. I know small size puts a limit to locking type connectors, but neither USB or those cylindrical connectors (which I never the know the name of) are good ones, securing wise.

There's a small space to add on the left to add Neutrik type speaker connector though.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I just had a look at a power amp review at Stereophile, from a Power amp, and they do have subjective comments.

Listening tests are important. Unfortunately, they do NOT do any sort of valid listening tests since those don't capture readers' imaginations and sell ad space.

Willem

Major Contributor
Do we really have to read such unscientific babble?

OP
C

carlmart

Do we really have to read such unscientific babble?

Which would be the unscientific babble? Subjective listening?

What about the claims, made by many serious audio electronics engineers, like Walt Jung or John Curl, on subjective listenings as important as measurings? Or that measurings do not tell all about how an equipment will sound?

Or how about some worst measuring equipment, like valve amplifiers, being preferred over lower distortion amplifiers for instance? Or similar things happening on transistorized equipment?

Or are you one of those that believe that amplifier have no sound of their own if specs are the same? If so you may keep thinking subjective listening is just babble, ignoring how things really sound like. The world has changed about, do you know?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What about the claims, made by many serious audio electronics engineers, like Walt Jung or John Curl, on subjective listenings as important as measurings?

Curl (when he's not hyping scams, which he regularly does) claims that when he can't peek, he can't distinguish between components. That should be suggestive.

"If you can't hear it without peeking, you can't hear it. If you can hear it without peeking, you can hear it." I seem to say this a lot. :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Subjetive listenings just improve the profit of the audio market IMHO.

We have to be careful to not conflate "subjective" with "totally uncontrolled." Subjective evaluation is critical, but only valid when done ears only.

OP
C

carlmart

We have to be careful to not conflate "subjective" with "totally uncontrolled." Subjective evaluation is critical, but only valid when done ears only.

Of course, when made our tests we were pretty serious on how they were done.

Top Bottom