• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do already have the JDS Labs Atom, but at low levels it has noticeable channel imbalance, and a digital volume control like the DX7 Pro would fix that. Maybe I should get a different amp for low impedance headphones and IEMs.
Or you can get the ifi IEMatch to use with them although if you can avoid it, it would be better.

raif71

Major Contributor
The DX7pro does not have rca in !!!
Hmm, admittedly I assumed...will have another look. As I look again, there aren't any analog in meaning that this unit can't be used as an amp only?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hmm, admittedly I assumed...will have another look. As I look again, there aren't any analog in meaning that this unit can't be used as an amp only?
Why would anyone use this as amp only.....I can only imagine one to use it as standalone DAC.

raif71

Major Contributor
Why would anyone use this as amp only.....I can only imagine one to use it as standalone DAC.
Well given the price point (it's quite expensive) and the plethora of headphone outs (2 balanced and 1/4" SE), why would one use is as a standalone dac, unless more amplification is needed. :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well given the price point (it's quite expensive) and the plethora of headphone outs (2 balanced and 1/4" SE), why would one use is as a standalone dac, unless more amplification is needed. :)
Because this is sota dac with a decent amp. Though you may argue it's balanced but balanced is not needed. Smsl sp200 is better as an amp even without balanced output. It's better as a combo which you don't really need anything else except the noise floor can be audible with sensitive iems because of digital volume control.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received the DX7 Pro from Shenzhen today, Monday. I ordered it at 11 pm on Friday so that's pretty good. Apos customer service was better than flawless. The package was wrapped in a few pounds ;) of bubble wrap and the inner box was very nice, almost too nice. The quality of the DX7 Pro itself, as an object, is lovely. It has a very weighty, solid feel, with nice feet that seem they would absorb just the right amount of vibration.

I started the sound check with USB from my MacBook (battery power) + Audirvana and the sound is delightful. Via balanced XLR I can say there is a difference from my Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, but via headphones there is a definite (and less subtle) improvement in both bass clarity/slam and in treble transients. For example, I can now make out individual high-hat cymbal vibrations when previously I could hear more of a sizzle. It's a small difference but definitely there. I tested back a forth with the V90 it about 10 times to be sure.

Regarding power, I am now happily listening to a jazz/rock track on low gain and -25.5 dB using headphones with 110 ohms impedance and sensitivity of 101 dB/1mW (at Drum Reference Point). There's absolutely no need for more power. Anything over -10 dB is verging on painful and the sound is clean and clear with oodles of deep controlled bass. (Sail by AWOL Nation is a good test track for that.)

Edited for new information:

BUT... Using Audirvana and Bluetooth I have audible (very low level) high-pitched echo/buzz a few milliseconds after the signal. It's on both the XLR line out and the headphones, but not when using USB or YouTube, only Bluetooth and Audirvana. I've turned my computer BT off and on, tried reconnecting, etc. Eliminated everything else on the AC circuit.

Any ideas on how to fix Audirvana? Please respond via this forum link, which includes FR testing showing the problem: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-streaming-via-bluetooth-from-audirvana.9510/

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Waiting till D90 because "Worth mentioning is that D90’s USB support MQA decode." per https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/photos/a.1880730788709687/2446370332145727/?type=3&permPage=1

MQA is crap as is a lossy format (and PROPRIETARY!), just like mp3 (at least mp3 is an open format). Much of MQA is pure marketing.

If it were lossless like FLAC, then ok, but it is not.

Either way, you can already use MQA as long you got a PC, they have a software it supports now.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
BUT... Using Bluetooth I have audible (very low level) high-pitched echo/buzz a few milliseconds after the signal. It's on both the XLR line out and the headphones, but not when using USB, only Bluetooth. I've turned my computer BT off and on, tried reconnecting, etc. Eliminated everything else on the AC circuit. Apos is checking with Topping overnight, but no answers so far.

Any ideas?

Did you have the last drivers from bluetooth chipset installed and running?

And LDAC is only good @ 990kbps.

Btw, I found this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SZMDLX-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B07TLVJWQ5/

Under $15.

If you are using aptX try aptX-LL (low latency).

Last edited:

TC!!

Probably a stupid question but is the bluetooth input only? I could never see myself streaming bluetooth to my speakers but being able to have an optical signal, like from my TV, and being able to listen on wireless bluetooth speakers for night listening would be great.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you have the last drivers from bluetooth chipset installed and running?

And LDAC is only good @ 990kbps.

Btw, I found this one:
https://www.amazon.com/SZMDLX-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Headphones/dp/B07TLVJWQ5/

Under $15.

If you are using aptX try aptX-LL (low latency).
I think the problem might be the laptop itself so good tip on checking the drivers and checking other settings. I'll have to look into how to do that on a Mac. When I looked last night I couldn't find any settings that detailed.

veeceem

I think the problem might be the laptop itself so good tip on checking the drivers and checking other settings. I'll have to look into how to do that on a Mac. When I looked last night I couldn't find any settings that detailed.
I think the laptop/smartphone needs to have bluetooth 5.0 for better streaming/sound quality?

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Or you can get the ifi IEMatch to use with them although if you can avoid it, it would be better.
Thanks for the suggestion Amir.
Does the IEMatch add any extra distortion or noise to your knowledge?

Category 5

Got a pretty decent deal from a seller on ebay so I bit the bullet on one of these. Should have it in about a week. I will have it apart and take some detailed pics of the components and layout. The overview of the design suggests this is more than just a competent implementation of the 9038pro, but rather an optimal implementation. I had really decided on the ADI-2 Pro FS, but was turned off by the dongle for the digital I/O, and i'd really rather have something like a Dangerous Convert AD or Burl AD on my AD side, so really just wanted a reference level DAC. If the headphone out was more important I may have pushed for the ADI-2 DAC, but at this price, and this level of performance I think there is a new sweet spot here.

I'm really curious to see of DAC only mode changes the measurements at all, so Amir, pretty please.... ;) It would also be interesting to see of swapping in OPA 1612 changes anything more than subjectively.

I'll try to see if I can identify the i/v stage op-amp to satisfy curiosity.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What's the fastest way to get a DX7 Pro in the US?

Probably Apos Audio.

But there may be others who are located nearer to you than them depending on state and stock I suppose. There is a member of the trade on this forum who carries Topping and is based in Texas. (Sorry his name escapes me at this moment. )

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does the IEMatch add any extra distortion or noise to your knowledge?
No. The only time it can is if you then turn up the volume to max and the amp distorts in which case, you don't need to use it!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably Apos Audio.

But there may be others who are located nearer to you than them depending on state and stock I suppose. There is a member of the trade on this forum who carries Topping and is based in Texas. (Sorry his name escapes me at this moment. )
I got my DX7 Pro from Apos in just over 48 hours. It's glorious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom