• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Archel2 Headphone AMP Review: another champ?

August

Fine. If you want to put it that way. Then I'll tell. I'm going to collaborate with topping to develop next generation of A30 at the end of this year. Pricing is aim at 150 dollars range. BOM is even lower than Atom. And performance is better than THX 887. There may be another 300 dollar model. Just wait and see. It will destroy.
Really?:oops:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
eacc6f7df8648d7.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Fine. If you want to put it that way. Then I'll tell. I'm going to collaborate with topping to develop next generation of A30 at the end of this year. Pricing is aim at 150 dollars range. BOM is even lower than Atom. And performance is better than THX 887. There may be another 300 dollar model. Just wait and see. It will destroy.

So another headphone amp in a cheap plastic case?

:(

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's not solved because I can't buy a $50 DAC/AMP with absolute zero distortion, zero noise, and 5 W of power. Until this perfect device exists, the problem hasn't been solved.

5W into a headphone voice coil is simply ridiculous. less than 0.5W and most, if not all, will self destruct within a second or two.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It will destroy.

Hopefully it won't. Make sure you have adequate protection for the headphones (DC/overpower etc) in your design- something irresponsibly lacking in a lot of other products out there.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hopefully it won't. Make sure you have adequate protection for the headphones (DC/overpower etc) in your design- something irresponsibly lacking in a lot of other products out there.
Haha. Sure, I will.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lol, a lot of talks going on. Just one question for JohnYang, you said there is going to have another topping dac or amp that will have very good performance and you are going to collaborate with topping. Do you have some kind of relationship with topping?

Reactions: LLL

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Lol, a lot of talks going on. Just one question for JohnYang, you said there is going to have another topping dac or amp that will have very good performance and you are going to collaborate with topping. Do you have some kind of relationship with topping?
Not now. Everything apart from the amp is just information from the forum. I'll only go back to China in December(summer holiday). Not much going on at the moment. And it's really off topic from this thread. Let's move on, friends.

LLL

Forum Donor
Not now. Everything apart from the amp is just information from the forum. I'll only go back to China in December(summer holiday). Not much going on at the moment. And it's really off topic from this thread. Let's move on, friends.
Wait, you spoke as if something is already setup to build this. Have they talked to you about this at all?

LLL

Forum Donor
It's not solved because I can't buy a $50 DAC/AMP with absolute zero distortion, zero noise, and 5 W of power. Until this perfect device exists, the problem hasn't been solved.

There is no such thing as "zero distortion" or "zero noise". You can have distortion or noise below audible level, which we kind of do. And 5 W into your headphones will fry the cans before it turns you deaf. I am not sure if you even know what you are asking for.

When I got the Archel 2 pro in my hands and started using it I had no clue what the measurements were or how much it was going to cost .

I did find out after using it that it was very capable and sounded extremely good .

I was just hoping it was going to be affordable.

And it is

By the way I have no connection with Geshelli Lab's other than the fact I buy their products and so far have been very pleased....

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wait, you spoke as if something is already setup to build this. Have they talked to you about this at all?
This is going to happen for sure. I already made the design and prototypes before this all started. Also including circuit that minimize distortion with protection circuits and everything. I'll only need to do the interfacing with the existing design and the meet rest of specifications. There is of course more stuff behind this. I need to have a internship in order to graduate. They need something to compete with THX, as smsl already have sp200. More of we help each other out.

raif71

Major Contributor
To the purpose of this forum. It's more like finding cheap good performing products that are actually good. And reviews based on objective measurements rather than subjective bullshit. Also allow us to know that we don't need that much money to get sota performance. And to avoid high price garbage that don't perform. This is a really good place.
Yes, yes... be the next nwavguy :D

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe it'd be cool if I was still in college and living in a dorm room, saving my bong water for times when I was broke, but no way I'm having that in my living room....
Ah, unlike many audio forums, our audience comprises of a lot of younger people. So tastes vary for sure.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe it'd be cool if I was still in college and living in a dorm room, saving my bong water for times when I was broke, but no way I'm having that in my living room....

It is truly amazing that anyone would have the nerve to market something in this day and age that looks considerably worse than any bash-together kit sold in the 1980s when I was a teenager. And the LEDs inside... :facepalm:

But, it's the <3 cent tactile switches, with their black shafts poking through poorly aligned holes really push my buttons. The absolute nastiest, cheapest, and most short-lived switches money can buy. Horrible things that have no place on anything claiming to be HiFi. And that pot isn't even an Alps RK-163, it's some super cheap Chinese copy. (Alps print the value in black around the can, not on the front phenolic)

This, gentlemen is not aspirational HiFi equipment. It is school-age science project circuit boards in a can.

Top Bottom