• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Impressions

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They put in a lot of effort for sure and have valuable measurements. They really put a lot of thought in it.
Have had a few discussions with Sam when they launched and after it. These guys are really serious.
The rating bit is what I don't always agree with.

Spech

I've used Rtings for a while now, and while I don't always agree with some of the things they do (like the way they measure soundstage), they do provide an extensive amount of measurements and reviews which is really helpful for comparing headphones.
On a side note I completely forgot that Rtings actually measured the 1990's according to them the balanced pads are the flat ones in the bass but with a small bump around 200hz, so I'd use those and EQ the treble down if necessary, probably wont buy the Dekoni Elite Velours since they seem to reduce the bass.
Until I save enough money to get the 1990's tho I wanna get a decent pair of closed back cans, that's why I came to this thread in the first place, I'm thinking of either getting the AKG K371 or the Takstar Pro 82/CM MH751 (rebranded Pro 82's)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Dekoni raise the bass opposite the A pads and lower the bass opposite the B pads.
Comfort differs as well.
Some like this, some like that. It is a good thing they include different pads.
The HD630VB idea is another approach and allows stepless bass level control.

Spech

The Dekoni raise the bass opposite the A pads and lower the bass opposite the B pads.
Comfort differs as well.
Some like this, some like that. It is a good thing they include different pads.
The HD630VB idea is another approach and allows stepless bass level control.
Ye I want the bass of the B pads, The HD630VB dont seem to measure that well, so I'm not interested in them.
Also I see that you reviewed the Pro 82, I shall go read it now!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Pro82 is a high value headphone, just like the HD58X is high value.
That means excellent for the money but not excellence in an absolute sense.

The HD630VB doesn't measure well. It doesn't sound bad either. Size and looks also are not everyone's taste either (bulky).
The neumann HD20 uses the same enclosure.
Don't own one either but liked how easy one could adjust the bass when playing random recordings extremely easily and fast.

Last edited:

Spech

Hmm so the Pro 82 are very sensitive to seal as well, bass seems to be gone while using glasses, which I do, I am currently using the HyperX Cloud (Takstar Pro 80) and the bass seems to be fine even with glasses...
I wonder if having higher clamping force which the 1990's have, makes it so you don't lose bass with glasses, or is it just cuz they are open back?
The reason I wanna get a new pair of closed cans is that my HyperX Cloud's developed a driver rattle in the right earcup and also the pads are dying on me.

OP
pwjazz

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the entire HD6** range as narrow

To be clear I hear it the same way. I was just saying that I hear the DT1990 as even slightly narrower (at least with the analytical pads). It sounds more spacious in a sense because of more "pinpoint" imaging, but not as wide. From what I remember if the Elex it sounded quite narrow as well, which many others agree with. I hear the LCD2C as much wider than both, and the HD800S as even wider. The Hifimen I've heard also tended to sound quite wide (except maybe the HE560).

Incidentally, Rtings ranking of soundstage actually agrees pretty well with my personal experience. Imaging I can't necessarily say the same.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will do a more close-up comparison between filtered DT1990 and modified HD58X one of these days to see.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hmm so the Pro 82 are very sensitive to seal as well, bass seems to be gone while using glasses, which I do, I am currently using the HyperX Cloud (Takstar Pro 80) and the bass seems to be fine even with glasses...
I wonder if having higher clamping force which the 1990's have, makes it so you don't lose bass with glasses, or is it just cuz they are open back?
The reason I wanna get a new pair of closed cans is that my HyperX Cloud's developed a driver rattle in the right earcup and also the pads are dying on me.

When wearing glasses the amount of drop-off depends on a number of things.
Thicker arms, thin arms. Whether or not thin arms rest against or slightly in the skin where the pads touch the skin or if the arms are well above the skin where the pads meet the skin.
It also depends on how stiff the pads are.
With closed headphones the effect is much worse than with most open headphones as well.

Just press the headphones a bit more and if the bass amount changes substantially you have leakage.
Or listen with and without glasses with bass heavy music.

I do some standard tests using actual glasses on the test rig which has some rubber foam on it similar to skin. The glasses always rest on top of the skin. I don't think (aside from Rtings) that many test for this.
Testing EdXX and alikes is difficult because these large pads follow head contours (as they should be) so have to ensure a good seal when measuring on a flat rig.

Spech

My glasses have kinda thick arms they are kinda tight on my head tho definitely not loose.
Pushing the cups against my head does nothing to the bass, it remains the same. I don't hear any bass roll besides the one that these headphones have under 30hz. (tested with a sine sweep as well)
Here's the freq response graph for them:
Capture.PNG

On Rtings they also say that ''people with glasses or lots of hair can experience a significant loss in bass with a break in the seal'' as shown here:
3432423423.PNG

I don't hear the roll off in the bass but I definitely hear the treble difference if I don't position them just right they sound quite harsh or just unenjoyable.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG headphones look much better value these days, or at least some of them. Models like the K701, 702, 712 and 812 seem to have dropped in price significantly. The K812 is still expensive but it looks a lot more realistically priced than when it was launched (it seems to sell at £650 here now) while the 701/702 and 712 (which at one time seemed to be pitched at a similar price as the HD600) look bargain basement. They're old models which have been around for ages but at the price they sell for now they're still excellent headphones.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG headphones look much better value these days, or at least some of them. Models like the K701, 702, 712 and 812 seem to have dropped in price significantly.
The reason is probably AKG has sold a lot less headphones than its direct opponent: Sennheiser. The price of HD800/600/650 remained the same for years...while the K712 dropped from 499 to 200€ in only 5 years, for example. It doesn't seem like a lot of K812/872 have been sold either... commonly saw at 800-900€ while launched around 1500 not so long ago.
By the way, I have to say the K872 are, subjectively, my favourite headphones of all time, whatever closed or open backs. Still, I never found any measurements of these.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about other markets, but in the UK I think it is true that Beyerdynamic and AKG have always been "the other" manufacturers trailing behind Sennheiser, with Audio Technica even further behind. Although I'm talking about the audiophile and professional segments there, in the general consumer market it is Beats, Sony and Bose all the way.

If I was going to pay the same price for the HD650 or K712 I'd buy the Sennheiser, but now the K712 is at half the price of the Sennheiser it looks a pretty attractive option. I prefer the sound of the Sennheiser but the AKG is also a very good headphone, and I prefer the comfort of the AKG, very low clamping force and lightweight.

Spech

The AKG K712 seem to be the best AKG open backs (without considering the expensive ones) and I can get them in my country for 250$ but they have that 2k peak and subdued sub bass as can be seen here:
asdadsdd.PNG
Based on using my Apple EarPods which also have a 2k peak I don't think I enjoy it, It works for some music but makes other painful to listen to or annoying or downright unlistenable.
Here's the freq response for the Apple EarPods:
gdfgfgfg.PNG

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pro82 is a high value headphone, just like the HD58X is high value.
That means excellent for the money but excellence in an absolute sense.

Sorry, my comprehension of english is limited. Did you mean "excellence in an absolute sense also" or did you forget the "not"?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Forgot the not.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It looks like the cups are mounted 'rigid' onto the sliding pieces of the headband.
There is no 'swivel' of the cups at all ?

Erik

The AKG K712 seem to be the best AKG open backs (without considering the expensive ones) and I can get them in my country for 250$ but they have that 2k peak and subdued sub bass as can be seen here: View attachment 35341Based on using my Apple EarPods which also have a 2k peak I don't think I enjoy it, It works for some music but makes other painful to listen to or annoying or downright unlistenable.
Here's the freq response for the Apple EarPods:View attachment 35342
The K612 are better.

1570528400600.png1570528418600.png

Top Bottom