• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

OP
Willhelm_Scream
[QUOTE="I know several people, some with 4k tvs that only watch DVD's. They are not the slightest bit concerned and don't feel they are missing out on anything.[/QUOTE]

Not even going to ask what this one is supposed to mean. SMH.

Wombat

Master Contributor

2help.gif

OK. Real Talk. Anyone who claims they can't hear the difference between something sublime like a 24 bit schiit dac or an audio g-d nfb 28 (omg audiogasm) and something completely ****** like an apple usb-c dongle or an rme-adi 2 (omg sounds so flat) is obvi not burning in their shit for long enough. Obviously if you just bought something it isn't going to be at its best. I just bought a $10,000 kimber cable, and after 2 years it finally is sounding its best. It took even longer to burn in my 24 bit schiit dac, but now it sounds just amazing. I'm sorry to anyone who doesn't have good enough ears to tell the difference between this stuff, but really i feel bad for you. at least take the time to burn yo shit in!!!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Everyone here needs to get off of this "All DACs and Amps sound the same" BS that has been going around. The people that say this are people that either A. Not actually tried a real blind test between sources, or B. lack the critical listening skills to discern differences. If you are do a blind test between DACs of two levels say a Topping D10 and a RME ADI-2, the D10 sounds so dead.
Forget all that. Tell us about your alias. What makes your IQ low? And how would a low IQ person determine his IQ is low? Seems like you need high IQ to tell your IQ is low. No?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I literally have no audiophile friends for this reason, just can't deal with the audiophoolery. What I will tell people, though, is what I personally experienced first hand: when I did DBT tests---back when my ears were young---I could not hear any difference whatsoever between TOL amps/preamps and a cheap but good measuring receiver (using good speakers and acoustics).

It has to be experienced. Before the DBTs, when you know what's playing, you hear differences (slam, timing, etc); during the DBTs everything sounds exactly the same (but not any less good, there's nothing missing); and after the DBTs, if you're smart about it, any interest in "audible" differences in good-measuring electronics just sort of fades away,

I think the personal DBT experience is the only way to make any headway against audiophoolery.
Let us give this like a +1 million up vote. It is not dis-similar to my own experience.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. Real Talk. Anyone who claims they can't hear the difference between something sublime like a 24 bit schiit dac or an audio g-d nfb 28 (omg audiogasm) and something completely ****** like an apple usb-c dongle or an rme-adi 2 (omg sounds so flat) is obvi not burning in their shit for long enough. Obviously if you just bought something it isn't going to be at its best. I just bought a $10,000 kimber cable, and after 2 years it finally is sounding its best. It took even longer to burn in my 24 bit schiit dac, but now it sounds just amazing. I'm sorry to anyone who doesn't have good enough ears to tell the difference between this stuff, but really i feel bad for you. at least take the time to burn yo shit in!!!
Come on man. You need to work on your trolling. Yours isn't up to snuff. We've seen attempted trolling done much more adroitly than you are doing on this forum.

Last edited:

Touchstone

I suppose it was inevitable that when your bloated and longwinded trolling didn't quite take you'd have to resort to the same juvenile tripe that we've seen here in the past few days to try to get a rise.

I'd have to say that ASR deserves a better class of troll. This stuff is genuinely pathetic.

Edited to add: As Blumlein was saying ...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have ears exacting enough to hear the difference between cables and dacs. You on the otherhand?
I personally measure every new member's ears to make sure they are large enough to have great hearing. Here is an example reference I use:

uzn_1401134386.jpeg

I missed doing that for you. Let us know how big your ears are so I can decide if you can stay or not.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Forget all that. Tell us about your alias. What makes your IQ low? And how would a low IQ person determine his IQ is low? Seems like you need high IQ to tell your IQ is low. No?

Low IQ is a selection criterion for Political Science, isn't it? :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I personally measure every new member's ears to make sure they are large enough to have great hearing. Here is an example reference I use:

uzn_1401134386.jpeg

I missed doing that for you. Let us know how big your ears are so I can decide if you can stay or not.
And if I remember, this reference was the minimum wasn't Amir?

digicidal

Major Contributor

uzn_1401134386.jpeg

Provably false... if that were the case hearing (especially in men) would improve with age not degrade. And Prince Charles would be a lifetime AES fellow. :p

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Provably false... if that were the case hearing (especially in men) would improve with age not degrade. And Prince Charles would be a lifetime AES fellow. :p

All anecdotal info supports exactly this. Older men, middle-aged and up have to buy the best gear, and take time to burn it in to hear it. Gear quality typically goes up with age (and learned hearing acuity). As for Prince Charles, I don't know about the AES, but I've no proof whatsoever that he isn't a member here.

OP
Willhelm_Scream
I suppose it was inevitable that when your bloated and longwinded trolling didn't quite take you'd have to resort to the same juvenile tripe that we've seen here in the past few days to try to get a rise.

I'd have to say that ASR deserves a better class of troll. This stuff is genuinely pathetic.

Edited to add: As Blumlein was saying ...

Bad schtick by my standards, except I would disagree ASR deserves better class of troll considering the number of quotes and responses and time it took for anyone to even realize it was schtick. See following:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Bad schtick by my standards, except I would disagree ASR deserves better class of troll considering the number of quotes and responses and time it took for anyone to even realize it was schtick.

You conflate awareness with boredom - at least in my case. Can't speak for others.

All anecdotal info supports exactly this. Older men, middle-aged and up have to buy the best gear, and take time to burn it in to hear it. Gear quality typically goes up with age (and learned hearing acuity). As for Prince Charles, I don't know about the AES, but I've no proof whatsoever that he isn't a member here.

Yes, sadly youth is being wasted on the young at an alarming rate these days. By the time I could afford any car I wanted... my back was bad enough that I found most of them impossible to enjoy. On the upside, that realization is likely to contribute to significantly better gear in my living room in the next few years. :cool:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Going along with the spirit of this thread (for those of you who don't know, I have my masters in Political Science, and thus have a pretty good grasp on scientific methodology)

Call it "shtick" all you want... that shit right there is golden! I almost want to quote that in my sig, but I'm just slightly too lazy.
giphy.gif

Regardless, bravo!

IQ isn't completely measurable just like DACS. The mind is so complex that at this point we can never hope to measure it completely. Some day we will look back at the age of IQ tests as an age of darkness and ignorance. Sure, in a controlled timed setting, there may be people who score higher than others on their SATS, MCATS, GRES, etc but taking a random group of college graduates, and trying to test them under controlled conditions is no way to try and interpret intelligence. I scored far below median on my GRE and every childhood IQ test (WAIS, STANFORD BINET ETC), but was admitted to The New School For Social Research for a graduate degree in the political and economic sciences, which prides itself in its heterodox approach to economics, emphasizing the history of economics, political economy, and economic history, and includes Keynesian, post-Keynesian, Marxist, structuralist, and other heterodox approaches in conjunction with critical education in mainstream neoclassical economics. That is what has really shaped my mind and opinions on this world including my audiophile world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom