• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

SoBu

thinking that all the units produced have your defect lol
I never thought or said it was just a defect. I assumed it was either incompatible or defective with no evidence to suggest either. I don't jump to conclusions.
Edit: I also already explained to you before why I didn't just return it right away

For example, if someone reported this, how would anyone know if it's defective or incompatible?
There are some other problems with D50 & D50s.
1. Coax connection does not work depending on the connected device. Signals cannot be detected when connected to a Sony Blu-ray player.
2. PCM44.1kHz--352kHz music after playing PCM384kHz music generates a big pop noise and shocks the speaker./QUOTE]

Edit: I also have the 1st known defective D50s on ASR I think.

Late Edit:
Something I forgot to mention that affected my decision to not return it right away:
I bought the last one in stock on sale, and buying a new one would mean paying ~$70 more and waiting 2-3wk for a new one that may not work.
If it wouldn't cost me any extra money or waiting time, I would really considered that option.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
What I learned from this experience:
Always test every feature of the device you purchased before the return or warranty period is over.

Yes, that is very important.
The electrical characteristics are reported in detail by amirm. And we buy based on the report. However, the functionality of the product has not been tested. I think now that we should report problems with product features and operations to manufacturers and forums.

I used to design TV broadcasting station equipment at a Japanese electronics company. We always design for the perfect product, but unfortunately you will always find a defect somewhere. At that time, user feedback is very helpful in improving the product. So I will always report any flaws I find to Topping engineers. It will help them become better engineers.
(I'm sorry, I'm Japanese and I'm not good at English.)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thank you Veri, This forum is technically great and there is no lie, so I would like to participate even in my poor English.

You communicate very well! Don't let the language difference bother you. It won't bother anyone here. There are people from all over the world, and I very much appreciate the international participation.

Welcome!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't let the language difference bother you. It won't bother anyone here. There are people from all over the world, and I very much appreciate the international participation.

Indeed. For some of us, English is their third language.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here able to test their D50s with any of these 3 phones? Specifically, does audio playback work? It would help me and Topping figure out this situation. Please include the OS version and exact phone model if you can.

I have a D50s on order from AliExpress, i'll test with my Note 9 when the DAC arrives (probably around 10 days time).

*Edit* I just paid duty and tax to DHL, so should arrive in 2 or 3 days.

Last edited:

typericey

Apologies for the noob-ish question: Amir mentioned that the D50s has better SINAD than D70, but the latter has better dynamic range. What is the difference between SINAD and dynamic range in this context?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Apologies for the noob-ish question: Amir mentioned that the D50s has better SINAD than D70, but the latter has better dynamic range. What is the difference between SINAD and dynamic range in this context?
SINAD is the difference between signal and noise+distortion. Dynamic range does the same but only for noise.

thomasjast

Can any owners of the D50s tell me if it supports normal Windows volume control over USB? If so, does it change the display volume being shown? (not likely)

I want to pair this with a JDS Atom but it's crucial that Windows can control the volume normally without me having to touch any of the hardware itself.

Veri

Master Contributor
Can any owners of the D50s tell me if it supports normal Windows volume control over USB? If so, does it change the display volume being shown? (not likely)
No, that won't change the volume on the DAC screen.

I want to pair this with a JDS Atom but it's crucial that Windows can control the volume normally without me having to touch any of the hardware itself.
You can leave the DAC volume on 0dB(max) and control volume via Windows if that's what you want. most do it the other way around since the ESS sabre volume control is really precise, but doing it over Windows volume mixer will do "fine".

thomasjast

You can leave the DAC volume on 0dB(max) and control volume via Windows if that's what you want. most do it the other way around since the ESS sabre volume control is really precise, but doing it over Windows volume mixer will do "fine".

What are the technical downsides of Windows volume vs. hardware? The Sabre one is pure attenuation and Windows isn't? I didn't hear any differences when doing it this way on the DX3, but I'd like to know if I was missing something my ears couldn't pick up.

mackat

Forum Donor
I have a question: how much audible difference in sound quality should there be, based on the measurements, between the D50 and D50s? The main thing that sticks out to me is the "ESS hump", but I am not knowledgeable enough to know how much that is audible. I could of course buy a new D50s for $200, or I could pick up a (barely) used D50 locally for probably a bit less than $125. I don't need bluetooth capability, so I am leaning more towards the D50, save for the sound quality concern. I recently purchased a D10 based on the review on this site, and I like it a lot. I would like an optical input and the ability to turn it off, which is why I am here.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a question: how much audible difference in sound quality should there be, based on the measurements, between the D50 and D50s? The main thing that sticks out to me is the "ESS hump", but I am not knowledgeable enough to know how much that is audible. I could of course buy a new D50s for $200, or I could pick up a (barely) used D50 locally for probably a bit less than $125. I don't need bluetooth capability, so I am leaning more towards the D50, save for the sound quality concern. I recently purchased a D10 based on the review on this site, and I like it a lot. I would like an optical input and the ability to turn it off, which is why I am here.
Anecdotally, the few people that owned both D50s and D50 said here they couldn't hear a difference. So for $125, I'd definitely go for the D50 :)

mackat

Forum Donor
Anecdotally, the few people that owned both D50s and D50 said here they couldn't hear a difference. So for $125, I'd definitely go for the D50 :)

Thank you for the info! That's what I was hoping for, so I will go for the D50 if I decide to get one.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you for the info! That's what I was hoping for, so I will go for the D50 if I decide to get one.
Let me put a vote in for D50s. You get bluetooth and remote control. The latter is quite useful. You only live once. Get the better one. :)

jmwant

Forum Donor
Topping have launched the D70 BT version with bluetooth input

thomasjast

Let me put a vote in for D50s. You get bluetooth and remote control. The latter is quite useful. You only live once. Get the better one. :)

@amirm, did you see any channel imbalance in the D50s testing? You don't seem to show those results for DAC tests lately. Or is it just a non-issue at this point?

Top Bottom