• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm, did you see any channel imbalance in the D50s testing? You don't seem to show those results for DAC tests lately. Or is it just a non-issue at this point?
You can see this in the dashboard as how well the left and right and overlaid. Digital attenuation will not affect this.

So if not mentioned, not a problem whatsoever :)

thomasjast

You can see this in the dashboard as how well the left and right and overlaid. Digital attenuation will not affect this.

So if not mentioned, not a problem whatsoever :)

Great, thanks for your help!

I'm deciding between the D50s and the future KTB model. In Canada, the D50s is exactly twice the price of the KTB but you get a body, a remote, Bluetooth, the ability to return to Amazon, etc. Doesn't seem like a bad deal, unless the next KTB is something magical...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, did you see any channel imbalance in the D50s testing? You don't seem to show those results for DAC tests lately. Or is it just a non-issue at this point?
I only test channel imbalance for headphone amplifiers. I don't do them for DACs without analog volume control.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a D50s on order from AliExpress, i'll test with my Note 9 when the DAC arrives (probably around 10 days time).

*Edit* I just paid duty and tax to DHL, so should arrive in 2 or 3 days.

The DAC arrived today, I had no issues playing 16 and 24 bit FLACs at various sample rates via LDAC from my Note 9 (using UAPP in BitPerfect Mode).

GeorgeWalk

Hi. I am new to these forums. I was recently looking to upgrade my system and based on the measurements here I purchase the Topping D50s. I am currently using it with a JDS Labs 02 amplifier. I love the sound of this combination. Thanks for the great reviews, measurements, and recommendations.

BTW, my previous system was a Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Schiit Modi 2U. I sold them to pay for the Topping and O2.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi. I am new to these forums. I was recently looking to upgrade my system and based on the measurements here I purchase the Topping D50s. I am currently using it with a JDS Labs 02 amplifier. I love the sound of this combination. Thanks for the great reviews, measurements, and recommendations.

BTW, my previous system was a Schiit Valhalla 2 and a Schiit Modi 2U. I sold them to pay for the Topping and O2.
Great picks all around !! Well done :cool:

Lac013

I just received my D50s and accidentally connected it to the Pre out of my Consonance A 120 Hybrid integrated amplifier. The integrated volume is 0 and the Dac was set to 0Db. Why was it so loud once connected? I had assumed it wouldn't have any volume since it was the Pre Out and not Line in. Everything sounds good and the volume is working through the D50s volume but I assumed it would have to be connected to the Line In of the amp. Any help in understanding this further?

ZeDestructor

I just received my D50s and accidentally connected it to the Pre out of my Consonance A 120 Hybrid integrated amplifier. The integrated volume is 0 and the Dac was set to 0Db. Why was it so loud once connected? I had assumed it wouldn't have any volume since it was the Pre Out and not Line in. Everything sounds good and the volume is working through the D50s volume but I assumed it would have to be connected to the Line In of the amp. Any help in understanding this further?

They probably just put the pre-out in parallel with the line-in with no isolation. Result: when you send the zero-attenuation signal to the zero-attenuation amp (likely because the pre-out taps the signal after the volume control), things get loud.

PS: 0dB is the loudest point of the D50s. Anything lower is -x dB.

Nejiro

Hi everyone, excuse me for a question, this dac controls the volume with dsd files?
Thank you

Lac013

They probably just put the pre-out in parallel with the line-in with no isolation. Result: when you send the zero-attenuation signal to the zero-attenuation amp (likely because the pre-out taps the signal after the volume control), things get loud.

PS: 0dB is the loudest point of the D50s. Anything lower is -x dB.
Thank you, it was extremely loud at 0 volume on my integrated. I obviously switched it to line in and everything is much better

dailyherold

Received mine from [mass]drop and unfortunately the screen was not working. Thought whole thing faulty but noticed after n button pressings my computer recognized the device for audio output. So then blindly getting things setup I started getting some lovely sound. All in pairing with the also newly acquired JDS Labs Atom and interconnected with some nicely done ghentaudio cables thanks to everyone's recommendations here! Hooked up to some PreSonus Eris 4.5 monitors and IEMs or AQ Nightowls.

Topping shipping out a new unit once I send out mine tomorrow, so props to them for that. Luckily I'm out of town over weekend so it'll distract me from the wait! Thought about opening it up myself seeing if simply connection issue, but figured I might as well do it right and not question the unit going forward.

The Atom+D50s stack is a fantastic home desktop setup. Office too, but I may be looking at a slick all-in-one there like the DX3. Also curious to see how the Topping A50 amp turns out. Perfectly matched stack enticing. None to this day have seen a spare Atom go to waste, so not worried there!

GeorgeWalk

I got mine about a week ago from Apos. I have been experimenting with different input/output combinations. I have a JDS Labs O2 and a Parasound 200Pre that I have been switching back and forth. I have been listening on my DT 880 headphones and Bose desktop speakers. So far, I love it.

DubbyMcDubs

I received my D50s today. I purchased it via Drop and it was shipped direct from Topping. Took a while to get here, but worth the wait. I have only been able to try out a few things in the short time I have had it but, paired with my JDS Atom and 6XX's, its a very sweet package.

Build quality is great, especially for the price (built like a brick s@!$ house). I really wish JDS made a premium option for the Atom with the same case.

I usually like to use my 6XX's with my laptop running JRiver and EasyQ, so I can EQ the headphones, but I have also tried it with Volumio on RPi and it work perfectly. If anyone knows of a way to run EasyQ on RPi with Volumio please let me know, I would love to be able to simply import the current curve I am happy with now.

Next week I will be taking it with me to demo Revel M106's and M16's, together with my Cayin CS-88A (yes a valve amp, but I love it :p). Can't wait. That combo will be my main stereo setup and I am stoked to find a cost effective DAC to sit within that setup.

Thanks @amirm for the reviews. It really gave me a lot of confidence to take a chance on a product I would not have given a second thought to purchasing otherwise.

DubbyMcDubs

Oh I had questions:

- Is everyone simply running the default (Mode 1) FIR filter?
- Any advantage installing the drivers (I think they are adding ASIO support??) from the Topping website?

Top Bottom