• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on this Taobao bookshelf speaker

OP
bunkbail

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the discussions guys, really appreciate it, keep em coming!
I agree that we have no where near enough information...but what I can understand in the translated page (the text on the graphics means nothing to me) is generally positive
For the purpose of argument, some counterpoints to above:
- 3 way configurations of this size are quite popular, including the NHT-C3, HiVi 3.1, and Polk LsiM-703 discussed in the deals thread.
- I have never heard a speaker's heavy weight as being a negative indicator before - all the white van speakers weigh almost nothing as shipping and cabinet are generally the most expensive parts of speaker construction...so the mfg did not skimp on what is the most obvious indicator of good build quality.
- the 10 element crossovers with air core coils look great - this is another area where white van speakers always skimp
- As stated earlier, bi-wiring is mostly for show, but the above mentioned LsiM-703 have it. (So does the Hivi 3.1...but that IS for show, only one pair of posts is connected to anything...one assumes it is because DIY speaker builders may want to mod the crossover).
- speaker efficiency is always measured as 1W/1M regardless of resistance rating.
- providing an overall frequency response with no +/- parameters seems to be the standard these days. Not a good thing, but not unusual.
- why do we think the drivers are proprietary? (I do not understand enough of the text to tell) - They look well built, the woofer's basket is not stamped, stamped baskets are another characteristic of white van speakers.
- The listing shows a 5.1 set of Accusound HD Series II speakers - those are (I think) original Accusound Australia models, so perhaps rather than just appropriating the name they are the original OEMs, or purchased the assets of rather than just stealing a logo.
- You can see in the photos that the cabinet internals are thick MDF or HDF - that explains some of the weight, another good thing.
- they look beautiful (to me)

The main reason I have never bought Alibaba or Tabao sourced speaker is that shipping costs to the U.S. on the well built ones are exceptionally high. Since nearly all mid range speakers in the U.S. are made in China...the cost difference must be individual air shipping vs palleted slow boat. I do not understand enough of the listing to see shipping costs, but I also do not know where the OP is based. I would certainly not ship a pair of PSB or Polk speakers back to China by air.

So, not enough information to tell, but if I lived where I could get them at $400 (pair or each?) delivered, I would consider them if I needed speakers.
I'm located in Malaysia and usually freight forwarding from China to here is rather cheap, that's why I'm heavily considering to buy one. But just in case, asking for opinions on here first doesn't hurt so I did, but to be honest reading polarizing responses here do make me become less enthusiastic.

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm located in Malaysia and usually freight forwarding from China to here is rather cheap, that's why I'm heavily considering to buy one.

I'd venture a guess that most of us here are in Western markets, and as such, we're very unfamiliar with Asian speaker brands. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with them - there are some fine products coming out of Asia. It's just that we don't have enough information to make a proper assessment... :rolleyes:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
reading polarizing responses here do make me become less enthusiastic.

You will always get that in any forum, and with any gear. Lots of opinions, mostly based on speculation rather than facts.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't bother with those Taobao speakers. That broad dip in the FR says "bright" to me. Besides, there are enough known good speakers in that price range that it's not necessary to take a chance on something that is so unknown. How about some JBL LSR 3's?

LF78

At least when ATC does it, they do it properly (even if of debatable use):

images

How does a speaker like this work exactly? I mean, is the original crossover external, so it can be removed and you can use active/digital xovers and multiple amplifiers?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does a speaker like this work exactly? I mean, is the original crossover external, so it can be removed and you can use active/digital xovers and multiple amplifiers?
Often a single amp is connected with two or more sets of speaker wires. Multiple amps can be used, but an external crossover isn't required because the internal passive crossover is in place. A lot of us feel the multiple binding posts are just marketing.

LF78

Multiple amps can be used, but an external crossover isn't required because the internal passive crossover is in place

I think I would need to see a wiring diagram, because at the moment I cannot understand how could I use multiple amplifiers without separating the signal before: then merging their output (full band?) together and separating it again with a passive xover?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I would need to see a wiring diagram, because at the moment I cannot understand how could I use multiple amplifiers without separating the signal before: then merging their output (full band?) together and separating it again with a passive xover?

You don't merge the output. The crossover is split out so that each driver has their own part of it. Yes, pretty pointless...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks! Yes put like this seems pretty useless.

That picture shows bi-wiring, if you believe wires make a difference, and want to run different wires to tweeters and woofers as tone controls.

A slightly more rational use case is bi- or tri-amping.

Bi-Amp-connection-v2.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A slightly more rational use case is bi- or tri-amping.

Slightly, but not much, unless you use an active crossover ahead of the amps (but then the crossovers in the speakers just get in the way).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Slightly, but not much, unless you use an active crossover ahead of the amps (but then the crossovers in the speakers just get in the way).

Right.

Or you want to use tubes on the mids and solid-state on the woofers. Again, not super rational, but I've seen it done and it's slightly less goofball than bi-wiring if one thinks amps should act as tone controls *and* the load/amp combo is such that it would act different with tubes than solid state, yada yada

I've thought of getting another module for my Devialet, going from dual mono to tri stereo, and using its DSP to do externally active by buying a 3 way with tri-amp posts, ripping out the crossover, figuring out the DSP crossover...but I'm not retired with time for such things. I just want to come home from work and listen.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What does it happen when 2 different amplifiers drive the same passive crossover network? Nothing good I would say, but I may be wrong...

It's a system philosophy issue.

If you think amps should be used to 'tune' speakers, it might be 'good'.

If you think amps should be 100% transparent, and the speaker designer should tune the speaker, it's probably not good.

Nonetheless, there are people who advocate for it / do it, although pretty rare these days.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it happen when 2 different amplifiers drive the same passive crossover network? Nothing good I would say, but I may be wrong...

They actually don't. You remove the connection (usually metal jumper strips) between the two pairs of connectors on the speakers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a system philosophy issue.

If you think amps should be used to 'tune' speakers, it might be 'good'.

If you think amps should be 100% transparent, and the speaker designer should tune the speaker, it's probably not good.

Nonetheless, there are people who advocate for it / do it, although pretty rare these days.

I think the question was more about what happens to the output stages of two amps trying to compete with each other driving the same load (and each other).

Top Bottom