• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi ZA3 Setup

Good Day All,

I'm about to receive my ZA3 (1 unit) to drive the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 which I bought last month. Already bought a pair of regular speaker cables/wires but then I came across the topic of biwiring/bi-wiring. Noticed that my speakers supports it, now I'm wondering if I could buy a pair of bi-wire speaker cables (2 male bananas to 4 male bananas) to run a bi-wired config.

Just got into the hobby and I really need some advice. Switching from an Edifier R1280DB.

Any input will be of great help.

Thanks.

Petevid

Good Day All,

I'm about to receive my ZA3 (1 unit) to drive the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 which I bought last month. Already bought a pair of regular speaker cables/wires but then I came across the topic of biwiring/bi-wiring. Noticed that my speakers supports it, now I'm wondering if I could buy a pair of bi-wire speaker cables (2 male bananas to 4 male bananas) to run a bi-wired config.

Just got into the hobby and I really need some advice. Switching from an Edifier R1280DB.

Thanks.
Bi-wiring from the ZA3 amp to your speakers will give no improvement over single wires.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good Day All,

Thanks.
Do a quick bit of research and read some threads on bi-wiring in this forum.
Short version: complete waste of time.

Slightly longer version: makes no difference if the speakers crossover is still passive and inside the speaker. If you change the crossover to be active and bi-amp it (separate amplifiers per driver for each speaker) then that's different and that's what is going on in good active speakers. But that's not possible with your speakers so don't worry :)

Nice amp and speakers btw, should sound cool :)

OP
E
Do a quick bit of research and read some threads on bi-wiring in this forum.
Short version: complete waste of time.

Slightly longer version: makes no difference if the speakers crossover is still passive and inside the speaker. If you change the crossover to be active and bi-amp it (separate amplifiers per driver for each speaker) then that's different and that's what is going on in good active speakers. But that's not possible with your speakers so don't worry :)

Nice amp and speakers btw, should sound cool :)
I think I understood about half of the explanation, but that's because of my lack of knowledge on stuff.. If you change the crossover to be active - will do some research on this, as this is the part that stumped me.. thanks for all of the replies

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think I understood about half of the explanation, but that's because of my lack of knowledge on stuff.. If you change the crossover to be active - will do some research on this, as this is the part that stumped me.. thanks for all of the replies
Don't worry too much about it, but do read up if you are interested. The key point is that there's no point in bi-wiring your speakers (or bi-wiring at all) :)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Hello and welcome.

Inside your speaker is a circuit board. It splits the high frequencies and sends them to the small tweeter. It sends the low frequencies to the bigger woofer. This is known as passive working.

Some systems have an electronic circuit which splits the high and low frequencies and the passes these signals on to separate amplifiers each of which has a cable to the speaker one for each driver. There is no circuit board doing the splitting inside the speaker. This is called active working.

Some hobbyists dismantle passive speakers like yours and take the crossover out. They then replicate the splitting using an active crossover and amplifiers per driver. It takes quite a lot of knowledge and skill to do this.

OP
E
Hello and welcome.

Inside your speaker is a circuit board. It splits the high frequencies and sends them to the small tweeter. It sends the low frequencies to the bigger woofer. This is known as passive working.

Some systems have an electronic circuit which splits the high and low frequencies and the passes these signals on to separate amplifiers each of which has a cable to the speaker one for each driver. There is no circuit board doing the splitting inside the speaker. This is called active working.

Some hobbyists dismantle passive speakers like yours and take the crossover out. They then replicate the splitting using an active crossover and amplifiers per driver. It takes quite a lot of knowledge and skill to do this.
Thanks for laying it out so clearly that even someone like me can understand. Safe to say that I won't be dismantling any speaker anytime soon. Sticking to a basic Digital souce > DAC > Amp > Speakers setup for now.

Cheers to all you good people!

Last edited:
Top Bottom