• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the relevance - it's one of the tests "substantially identical to those used when testing analog equipment" as mentioned in the AES17 abstract. I had hoped there would be a standard for identifying that "suitable point" given the number of different approaches to "maximum power" currently in use, or at least a generally accepted method that those familiar with it would be able to point to. I also know from testing in other fields that the standards you may expect to exist often don't, or have multiple competing forms. If that's the case here then please say so.

The commonly adopted standard is 1% THD. Can't remember if there is an AES standard for that.

maty

Major Contributor
To finish, I listen to very good modern digital recordings with high DR too.

Maybe, the Spanish blinds are the cause that I do appreciate differences -at night- between MP 320 kbps vs FLAC 16/44 and... :p:p:p

Years ago, when I had so many problems, I had a motto: in the audio world all kinds of noise is our enemy. What good is a good SNR-A measured in a laboratory with very clean power supply and without atmospheric RF / EMI.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To finish, I listen to very good modern digital recordings with high DR too.

So what is the best dynamic range (in numbers) you have come across?

Maybe, the Spanish blinds are the cause that I do appreciate differences -at night- between MP 320 kbps vs FLAC 16/44 and... :p:p:p

Or maybe just lack of proper double-blind testing? :)

Years ago, when I had so many problems, I had a motto: in the audio world all kinds of noise is our enemy. What good is a good SNR-A measured in a laboratory with very clean power supply and without atmospheric RF / EMI.

Which is why it is good to make measurements in your own environment too.

maty

Major Contributor
Not sure I understand your logic. You don't need a much greater SNR from your gear than from your source material. If your gear is capable of 90 dBSPL in volume, a 70 dB SNR will keep the noise floor below 20 dB SPL.

index.php

Silent Study Room: 20 dBA.

Good vinyl recording: 65 dBA

=> I need 20 dBA + 65 dBA = 85 dBA.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophonics-PA-S250NC-stereo-NC250MP-specs

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html

View attachment 32143

Audiophonics-PA-S500NC-stereo-NC500MP-specs

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-2x500w-4-ohm-ncore-p-13344.html

View attachment 32144

* If the data are right *, SNR must be at max power and not at 1 watt -> Hypex NC250MP is the best option to listen to good/very good recordings with high DR at home.

With modern commercial music, badly recorded and DR < 10 dB, I suppose it will be quite difficult to appreciate differences between the two modules beyond the power.

Can someone verify the data? The PDF manuals with all specs are not available on the Hypex website.
https://www.hypex.nl/oem-audio-amplifiers/
What you described is an error from @Audiophonics specs. The SNR of the NC500MP is now 124db (it has been corrected in the revised datasheet).
Screenshot_20190828-174048_Drive.jpg

https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/1245

At last, NC250MP still has the lowest THD+N, though.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
=> I need 20 dBA + 65 dBA = 85 dBA.

No, not really. You need marginally more than 65 dB. What is the maximum volume you need to achieve?

maty

Major Contributor
Julf, too much off topic here.

Usually, about 60-65 dBSPL continuous. KEF Q100 working in near-field. When I get excited, I get up and go around the room, conducting the orchestra and sometimes simulating playback.

KEF Q100 loves watts. And LS50 (83 dB/W/m) need more!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually, about 60-65 dBSPL continuous. KEF Q100 working in near-field. When I get excited, I get up and go around the room, conducting the orchestra and sometimes simulating playback.

KEF Q100 loves watts. And LS50 (83 dB/W/m) need more!

So that means you would be OK with a 45 dB SNR, and need about 0.25 watt continuous. :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
65 + 15 (peaks) = 80 dB.

Right. But your noise floor in your (very quiet) room is 20 dBSPL, so you need 80 - 20 = 60 dB of SNR.

maty

Major Contributor
But when the music is very good I must have about 85-90 dB (night is problematic, you know). Then I need more watts.

My modded AVR Marantz SR4500 has 100 watts at 8 Ohms, 0.1% and 128 watts at 4 Ohms, 0.1%

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr4500-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Volume begins at -70 dB. Step by 0.5 1 dB. Sometimes, with recordings with very high DR and I got excited it marks less of -20 dB, sometimes near -15 dB.

KEF Q100: true 85 dB/W/m and minimum 3.9 Ohms.

It would be a mistake to buy an amplifier that had no reserve power in case one day I changed speakers or room (and longer listening distance), I think.

In short, the amplifier that interests me is the new Purifi 1ET400A, if the modules are for sale at a reasonable price. And others are those who take the risk with the purchase to be the first, I am not in a hurry because I enjoy music a lot in my second system. And I still have an improvement in the speakers, starting first with the big ones.

I leave, I plan to watch chapters seven and eight of the City on a Hill series in the main system.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_on_a_Hill_(TV_series)

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But when the music is very good I must have about 85-90 dB (night is problematic, you know).

SPL or SNR?

Volume begins at -70 dB.

That is a meaningless, random reference point.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SPL, like you know.

No, I don't always know what you mean.

If it is SPL, then 75 dB SNR is sufficient for you. That still puts the noise well below the room noise floor.

Usually I listen to music from PC (ODAC USB) at near field between -25 dB and -35 dB. From FM radio, about -35 dB.

-25 dB from what?

maty

Major Contributor
OK, -25dBFS. KEF Q100 is officially 8 Ohms but is more like 6 Ohms or a little less. For calculations it is always better to be conservative and put yourself in the worst situation., then 4 Ohms.

With SS, the apropiate max power measurement is at 0.1% THD. Then, the max power to the small coaxial is almost 128 watts, aka 0 dBFS (105 watts at 8 Ohms, THD 0.1%).

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, -25dBFS.
With SS, the apropiate max power measurement is at 0.1% THD. Then, the max power to the small coaxial is 128 watts, aka 0 dBFS.

So at -25 dBFS you are using 0.4 W. Fair enough.

As I pointed out, 75 dB SNR is sufficient for you.

maty

Major Contributor
But only when the music acts as accompaniment and I do not leave everything to focus on enjoyment. That is why the calculations have to take into account when I need more power.

Imagine if the speakers had a minimum impedance of only 3 Ohms or less, as happens too many times, especially in three-way systems or Magnepan or...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But only when the music acts as accompaniment and I do not leave everything to focus on enjoyment. That is why the calculations have to take into account when I need more power.

So there are times when you listen at 115 dB?

Imagine if the speakers had a minimum impedance of only 3 Ohms or less, as happens too many times, especially in three-way systems or Magnepan or...

How is speaker impedance related to SNR?

maty

Major Contributor
If you want to continue the off-topic, open a specific thread and I will participate in it.

My last answer in this thread to you.

* The logical thing is that when I enjoy music at high volume at home (with nearby walls) the amplifier is not squeezed, that is, it works at 50% capacity (power with THD graph), say a number.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr4500-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

AVR-Marantz-SR4500-THD-graph.png

* It is relationed to the power. If at hundreds of Hz the impedance has a minimum of 3 Ohms, the amplifier must deliver more power in that range, and not all amplifiers can keep it for a while. If the minimum is 1.7 Ohms then you need a very well designed amplifier.

Class D amplifiers usually have serious problems with such low impedances. And the modern AVR too.

Conclusion: with the quantity of amplifiers, speakers, DAC and other hards, it is better to focus on those in which there are independent measurements (with graphs). It is not a guarantee of a sound that pleases us a lot but avoids having unpleasant surprises.

BTW: in the image we can view how the signal processing inside of the AVR degrades the response. I supose the same with SNR and others parameters like THD. To music, better with Pure Direct mode. If you want processing better by software from a computer, if it is the source.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to continue the off-topic, open a specific thread and I will participate in it.

I am not the one who started the SNR discussion... :)

* The logical thing is that when I enjoy music at high volume at home (with nearby walls) the amplifier is not squeezed, that is, it works at 50% capacity (power with THD graph), say a number.

The 50% is an arbitrary value that happens to apply to that specific amp.

* It is relationed to the power. If at hundreds of Hz the impedance has a minimum of 3 Ohms, the amplifier must deliver more power in that range, and not all amplifiers can keep it for a while. If the minimum is 1.7 Ohms then you need a very well designed amplifier.

Still don't see how that is related to SNR.

Class D amplifiers usually have serious problems with such low impedances. And the modern AVR too.

That is a really ironic comment in a thread about the Hypex nC400 that is happy to drive loads down to 1 Ω :)

Conclusion: with the quantity of amplifiers, speakers, DAC and other hards, it is better to focus on those in which there are independent measurements (with graphs). It is not a guarantee of a sound that pleases us a lot but avoids having unpleasant surprises.

I totally agree, I just have no idea of how that conclusion relates to any of the earlier discussion :)

Top Bottom