• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

THW

Forum Donor
I suspect this will have either no impact on their prospective audience or actually attract them.
Wouldn’t really disagree tbh, this sort of thing is almost like a cult these days, if not basically outright one

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unbelievable... a lot of engeneering skills go into decent recording equipment whose only goal is to record an
audio signal as unaltered as possible and leave the artistry of recording audio to the producers:
Choice of microphones and use of effects (if desired)
And then Totaldac comes around, screws the effort and is even allowed to call it High End.

guenthi_r

Really?
Most DIY´ler can do this better:
b_0_0_0_10_images_content_tests_15-01-15_totaldac_15-01-14_Totaldac-Server_004.jpg

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps the measurements should be re-done with the 1.750€ USB cable with the black box:

Totaldac_USB_GIGAfilter.jpg

"once in the system, the absence creates an instant hankering of plugging it back..."
"... better timbre ... more controlle
d bass ... better soundstage ... In a word GIGA-effective"

source: http://www.totaldac.com/USB_gigafilter-eng.htm

If one needed an illustration for "snakeoil"...

Last edited:

Negatywny

wow, i'm impressed how much attention this measurements got, as if the results of measurements came unexpected ;)

Just kidding, this is propably the first time when somone done real independent testing of such expensive device - great work ;)

Now, if someon could send amrim a wrist thick power cable to cut in half and see whats inside ;)

I don't even know how this is legal.

Last edited:

Patatorz

Really?
Most DIY´ler can do this better:
b_0_0_0_10_images_content_tests_15-01-15_totaldac_15-01-14_Totaldac-Server_004.jpg
This is called standardization of the components and knowledge. A kind of platforming of the knowledge to promote the re-use :) This is the main reason of using a cubox as streamer and a gigafilter as usb cable :)

Patatorz

Perhaps the measurements should be re-done with the 1.750€ USB cable with the black box:

Totaldac_USB_GIGAfilter.jpg

"once in the system, the absence creates an instant hankering of plugging it back..."
"... better timbre ... more controlle
d bass ... better soundstage ... In a word GIGA-effective"

source: http://www.totaldac.com/USB_gigafilter-eng.htm

Amir already measured the « old one » and much less expensive than the ultra gigafilter . Don’t worry it is M. Lavorgna proof :)

diegooo1972

I wrote on Mr Lavargna video.
"Next time I want to buy the fastest sport car I'll skip specifications and bring that meter with me. Nice suggestion"
But he deleted my comment on youtube...
And that's the point.
Don't act as an engineer if you just need a meter or only your ears to test equipments.
That's not engineering and not scientific.
And again if fidelity is missing a DAC became a DSP.

Last edited:

FredYves

I thought I heard differences until I did direct comparisons with only the DAC changing and with carefully matched levels and switching quickly between them on music I was familiar with. Then they all disappeared and I realised I had been deceiving myself for decades.
Nobody's audible memory is good enough to compare with a time delay or without precise level matching, though a surprising number of enthusiasts seem to believe it is.
IME there is an audible difference between microphones, microphone position (when I am recording), loudspeakers and loudspeaker position in the room, room treatment.
There is no difference between competently engineered DACs and preamps and also power amps with a low output impedance as long as they are capable of properly driving the speakers.
Record players sound different in a multitude of ways because they pick up vibration in addition to the record groove amongst other things.

Again. I did listen to the 3 DAC I mentioned in the same room, same music, same time line, same amp and same loudspeakers. We are in circle here. I am sorry if my perception doesn’t fit with the measurements from audioscience. Even when I know that people have to be prudent when comparing (levels etc). Even when I am respectful to science. Even when I see know the bad measurements of TotalDac and I am also very surprised with the way Vincent Brient is (not) deploying his PoV. I respect the measurements from audioscience, but I am hearing something different. As I also said, I perceive some difference between the 3 DAC, but nothing compared to the difference between loudspeakers or headphones.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Again. I did listen to the 3 DAC I mentioned in the same room, same music, same time line, same amp and same loudspeakers. We are in circle here. I am sorry if my perception doesn’t fit with the measurements from audioscience. Even when I know that people have to be prudent when comparing (levels etc). Even when I am respectful to science. Even when I see know the bad measurements of TotalDac and I am also very surprised with the way Vincent Brient is (not) deploying his PoV. I respect the measurements from audioscience, but I am hearing something different. As I also said, I perceive some difference between the 3 DAC, but nothing compared to the difference between loudspeakers or headphones.
Maybe you didn't understand his post, but it was relating to the placebo effect, not to actual differences. What's nice is that Frank didn't need an ABX to dispell the illusion.
You may be hearing something different, but that doesn't mean it's different; and really, it would be nice to know that you don't need to invest that much money to get perfection.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You perceive differences in sighted tests, would you perceive them in blind test?
Read this again: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

graz_lag

Major Contributor

As many others among of us, I went thru your process many times.
Placebo is a HUGE factor in audio, you know that, right?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mix up SNR which is a summation number, and the noise horizontal line level on a FFT.

If you would answer our questions with something else than other questions or one-sentence replies, and take a bit of time to explain, that would be nice.
If the signal transmitted by your DACs is as good as your communication skills, no wonder it doesn't take the transparency test.

Top Bottom