• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They managed to have Erin and us making noise out of this.

It may look to them like free advertisement.
Especially if they are convinced that their customers are somehow allergic to measurements.
My two cents : this could turn quickly into Streisand effect instead.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
To be fair in his review those speakers seemed to be alright.. What a shitshow from Tekton, but it ain't the first time. Long ago they apparently made reviewers sign an NDA to get measurements, etc. Then there was the Tekton Lore :facepalm::
Was his review negative? I skipped through it on Youtube when it came out, and it seemed to be fairly positive and it measured very respectably. So what is exactly the issue here?

Edit:
So let me get this straight: the manufacturer spat his dummy because Erin reviewed his speakers with holes in them and didn't plug those holes with feet he didn't know about even after contacting the manufacturer for advice prior to testing them? LOL.

Seriously, what loudspeaker has holes in the base right through to the cavity? I've never, ever seen that. Plenty of captive nuts, mounting threads etc and NONE are drilled all the way through.

Last time this happened in a review was with March's Sointuva with holes right through in the banana jacks he didn't know about.

Is there more to it I missed?
Oh this was the issue? What a clown shown. Who the hell drills holes through the cabinet? And even if that is the case, if he contacts them to ask about them and he doesn't even got a proper response then how is he to know?

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Respect to @amirm for highlighting this issue.

What a sh!t-show. If they are so concerned about the measurements, and Erin offers to pull the video and redo the test, then what is the problem?

I wonder if there any of the YouTube lawyers that sometimes pop up with short takes on cases from media, like fender-bender videos and "who is liable here" titles, would be interested in this case? I would assume that the company needs to prove loss of revenue and some ill intend from Erin's side?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Two comments:
I hadn't heard of Tekton before, but I have now and my impression of the brand is tainted - their actions have biased me against them. Probably not what they wanted!

Second: yes, happy to support should the need arise. It's an important principle.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me be the first to thank Tekton for exposing yet another dark side of the industry. How brave of them to openly show to the world what happens if you choose to bring objective reviews of audio products :rolleyes: “how dare you!”

Having said this, yes, I would gladly chip in a few € to the Erin relief fund :cool:

Golf

Here’s my contribution to this »General Audio Discussion«:

I hardly fund anything that was brought to my attention by someone who may be biased by the funding purpose itself.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What a clown show

Gotta love a clown show.

1712390540449.jpeg

Source: http://www.profession-spectacle.com...rnational-des-clowns-voit-le-jour-a-marmande/

Sokel

Master Contributor
If things happened this way,it was cheap from the company.
And this industry can forgive anything but not cheap.

The most hard-core subjectivists wants a touch of class to own someones product and this kind of behavior is not what's expected.
What's expected from a confident company is to loudly ignore voices coming from -what they consider- low and just go on doing business as usual.
Any association is to be avoided,that's textbook established company's behavior.

I'm afraid they made things worse for them as their product prices is not up there so to not care.

Tell

Wow, this must be the most stupid thing I've read in a long time! Firstly to drill holes for the feet into the cabinet, even the 13 year old me building my first speaker understood that you really shouldn't do that. And then threatening to sue instead of politely saying "hey, you should have the feet in when listening and measuring the speakers" could have saved them SO much trouble.
But despite getting threats of being sued and still deciding to remeasure gives credit to Erin. This should be done no matter Tektons behaviour to get a proper review, but I REALLY hope that Erin talks about Tektons behaviour and also point out the extremely stupid design. Though I feel there is a risk of Erin being too polite to not scare away other companies from potentially sending speakers to him for review.

delta76

Major Contributor
I am OK for tossing a few buckerooz for legal defense but I want to see some effort on Erin's part before doing that. He should push back and not cave to this hostile man.
Not everyone has the time, money, and mental capacity to deal with such lawsuit which can be long, exhausting and expensive. I would not judge Erin if he folds.
With that said, class act by @amirm . i know you and Erin had some dispute in the past but stepping up to support and help is a truly honorable thing to do.

Last edited:

BALKAN_RAKIA

Erin is free to measure whatever he wants, however he wants. This is hobbyism 101. I can measure AMD processor the way I see fit, same with NVidia GPUs or any other component.

Tekton speakers however are subjectively and objectively horrible to look at. I don't understand who would put these monstrosities in their living room.

Grotti

Forum Donor
I saw the review on YouTube and I actually thought Erin being to polite in his subjective statements. But that's anecdotal: if there's a need to support him (or Amir) against this totally unacceptable threat I will happily donate!

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
The man has an apparent history of taking down his product web pages because of a disliked review. I have seen multiple instances in the recent 5 years of this activity according to web search results. I don't expect change to occur.

Could it be that he does that routinely to have a proof that the review hurt his sales by a specific amount, like for example he sold 4 of them per month and now he can't? Seems stupid, but in his twisted mind it could be clever. Or it's just a tantrum thrown

DanielT

Major Contributor
Erin is free to measure whatever he wants, however he wants. This is hobbyism 101. I can measure AMD processor the way I see fit, same with NVidia GPUs or any other component.

Tekton speakers however are subjectively and objectively horrible to look at. I don't understand who would put these monstrosities in their living room.
That's how it works as far as I know in Europe or at least in Sweden.
I don't know how it is in the US. More trigger happy for suing in the US? Or is it a prejudice that this is the case?:oops:

Tekton speakers are not beautiful. I can agree with that. But tastes are divided, so perhaps there are those who think it looks nice to have speakers with tweeters sprinkled on a baffle so it looks like faceted eyes. Insect speaker approximately.o_O

ulf_front_pair.jpgnebo_front_pair.jpg

Top Bottom