• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Feel it in the chest track.

ehabheikal

I am looking for a track with punchy bass that you feel in the chest on your system, inwant to see if mine has this or i should ditch my dual 8inch subs for a 10 or 12 inch?

OP
E

ehabheikal

The choice in my counrty is next to nil, but i can sometimes buy stuff on usa oe uk ebay and get it shipped.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a single 18 backed up by a 12" which does well in my medium size room in opposing corners. Try Dire Straits - Speedway at Nazareth, most of Knophler's stuff is really well produced with good bass.

Chesapeake HT

I am looking for a track with punchy bass that you feel in the chest on your system, inwant to see if mine has this or i should ditch my dual 8inch subs for a 10 or 12 inch?
Not my taste in music per se (although the lyrics are quite humorous at times; vulgar at others) - Eminem, Killshot

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keep in mind the 'feel it in the chest' frequencies, i.e. around the kick drum, are a lot higher than you may realize

It's getting a bit aged and it doesn't have the low bass but this is my go-to kick-bin track

NIN's Closer is obviously another classic pantleg-flapper

If you just want to rattle your frames, there's always this

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best ones are if you search for car stereo bass test tracks. Certain songs they use to show off their systems at car shows.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mean, I like:
1712108038618.jpeg

and (aging audiophile that I am):

I have 15" Altec woofers of the vintage kind, but my subwoofers are a pair of 15" DVC Italians in a single box.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NIN's Closer is obviously another classic pantleg-flapper
Oh, that takes me back... decades ago when Closer was a new release and I had a large pair of Sound Labs electrostats, I melted one of the HV transformers while playing that track turned up to 11. By the end of the track there is so much distortion going on I didn't realize the speakers were in distress.

When I called Sound Labs and explained what happened, they were a bit condescending regarding my musical taste, but they were very kind and shipped me a replacement transformer at a very reasonable cost.

Andysu

Major Contributor
feel it in the chest , try the spock bump star trek II very few know about this , unless you been to the CIC Empire Leicester Square and seen oct 8th 1989 star trek 70 THX marathon ? oh you may need some JBL pro cinema and a THX with bundles of urei 6290 , oh may need the theatrical mix and chances are you'd wreck yourself to getting it like Empire 1 , maybe best largest THX premiere house

when the klingon does the chest thing , wow that was felt against my chest at 20 meters away , star trek 70 THX marathon

star trek III 70 THX marathon , felt each kirk kick to the chest

star trek II 70 THX marathon opening title over the paramount mountain , strong 40hz pulsing up and down , pressing against my body but that takes some serious JBL THX set-up , odds you may knacker your speakers

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 2019 remaster of Delicate Sound of Thunder really gave my sub a workout. As did the new remaster of Animals.

Andysu

Major Contributor
CIC Empire Licester Square 70 THX JBL , just about the whole scene stomach , waist , chest , that was some serious bass at the Empire , 1989

Andysu

Major Contributor
star trek II ceti eel , feel the pulse bass beat of james horner score and other under lay sound effects pressing against my body ,, chest very creepy in 70 THX at the Empire

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's probably not the tracks, and I assume you have EQ or tone controls so you can turn-up the bass?

or i should ditch my dual 8inch subs for a 10 or 12 inch?
Two 8-inch speakers have about the same piston area as one 12-inch. Size isn't everything, but generally larger drivers and larger boxes can put-out more bass.

I'm an old-school big-speaker guy and IMO a pair of 8-inch woofers is "small", and especially small for a subwoofer.

Keep in mind the 'feel it in the chest' frequencies, i.e. around the kick drum, are a lot higher than you may realize

Right. Pro subs used for live music or in clubs are usually, large, ported, and tuned to go down to around 40Hz. For reference, the lowest note on a standard electric guitar is about 42Hz. Speaker design is a compromise and by not trying to go lower, they can make it efficient and loud to fill a large space with bass you can feel in your body.

Pro studio subs don't need the same compromises. The space is smaller and and they usually have plenty of budget for more amps & subs if necessary. And generally, home subs don't need as much power or efficiency (again a smaller space) so good home subwoofers often go down to around 20Hz. And with a good home sub and enough power you can get enough bass to feel.

Top Bottom