• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
are these JBLs on the brighter side?
From the Anechoic measurements then you'd think they would be slightly on the brighter side, but you should be able to cure that by just flipping the HF Trim Switch on the back of the speaker to -2dB, which will bring 2kHz & above more inline with the bass.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own several of the generation 1JBL LSR305s and the generation 2 JBL 305P Mk IIs. The sound of the two corresponds to measurements: the Gen1 speakers sound balanced and pretty neutral, and the Gen 2s sound a little bright, owing to their slightly tipped-up top end. They can be made to sound virtually identical with external DSP correction, in my experience. (I use Gen 1s as ATMOS height speakers in my main system, and Gen 2s elsewhere around the house outside of my main ATMOS system.)

MrOtto

I'm thinking of using JBL 305P mkII and LSR310S sub with both a XLR DAC and a phono preamp. My DAC has volume control, no problem. But not my phono preamp.
I am thinking about using a Nobsound XLR/RCA switcher. I also see they have one with passive volume control:

Any other passive volume control recommendations? JBL Nano Patch+?

Maybe just the volume control on the RCA from the phono preamp (Shiit SYS?), and use the volume control on the Topping DX5 for best SINAD on digital sources.

Stepped attenuator, better than Schiit SYS with potentiometer?

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I'm thinking of using JBL 305P mkII and LSR310S sub with both a XLR DAC and a phono preamp. My DAC has volume control, no problem. But not my phono preamp.
I am thinking about using a Nobsound XLR/RCA switcher. I also see they have one with passive volume control:

Maybe just the volume control on the RCA from the phono preamp (Shiit SYS?), and use the volume control on the Topping DX5 for best SINAD on digital sources.

I don't know if this is any good to you, but I started a thread on a similar subject:

MrOtto

Maybe I just should connect my Gustard H16 as a preamp for JBL305P/LSR310S, it has both XLR and RCA input. But then I can run the DAC XLR straight to the speakers.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Maybe I just should connect my Gustard H16 as a preamp for JBL305P/LSR310S, it has both XLR and RCA input. But then I can run the DAC XLR straight to the speakers.

Hi again.

May I ask what you believe the problem is that you’re trying to solve? Do you have other things going into your preamp?

I’m just wondering why you’re not using the volume control on the DAC, or don’t want to.

MrOtto

When I just use my DAC: Topping DX5, which has a preamp-mode so I can control the volume: no problem.
But if I want to connect my turntable to the JBL-setup, I have no way to control the volume in a easy way, other than turning the knobs on the back for the speakers one by one.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
When I just use my DAC: Topping DX5, which has a preamp-mode so I can control the volume: no problem.
But if I want to connect my turntable to the JBL-setup, I have no way to control the volume in a easy way, other than turning the knobs on the back for the speakers one by one.

Ah, I get it now. Yes, very interesting. Unfortunately, I’m as much use as a cardboard submarine on this one, my apologies.

Music707

Why not phono preamp (RCA) and DAC (XLR) -> Gustard H16 -> speakers (XLR) ?

The H16 lets you switch between inputs and has a volume control.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own several of the generation 1JBL LSR305s and the generation 2 JBL 305P Mk IIs. The sound of the two corresponds to measurements: the Gen1 speakers sound balanced and pretty neutral, and the Gen 2s sound a little bright, owing to their slightly tipped-up top end. They can be made to sound virtually identical with external DSP correction, in my experience. (I use Gen 1s as ATMOS height speakers in my main system, and Gen 2s elsewhere around the house outside of my main ATMOS system.)

I had the Mk1 305 for 6 years and I immediately liked the Mk2 more. I always felt the Mk1 bass sounded a bit muddy in my room.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Get a little ADC for the phonopre and connect that to the appropriate digital input on the DX5. You may also be able to make use of your computer's onboard audio line-in if you have that.

MrOtto

I will go for the solution of using Gustard H16 as the preamp, with it's high quality volume control and a remote

StigErik

Forum Donor

No. I just got me a pair. Tried them with subs below 80 Hz, the HF trim at -2 dB and boundary EQ at 0 dB. Sounded very well balanced to me. Measured surprisingly flat as well. I must say they are incredibly good speakers for this kind of money. With subs though. Without, not so much.

StigErik

Forum Donor
If you're gonna use subwoofers with these speakers, I recommend plugging the bass reflex port. A few nasty internal resonances are leaking through the port at approx. 1,5 kHz and 400 Hz according to my own measurements. At least with the 305P, there is very little difference in bass response with the port plugged.

SeanAtx

These are great little speakers. I picked up a used pair recently and stopped by Guitar Center to grab some balanced cables and an audio interface and they happened to have the JBL LSR310S sub just sitting there waiting for me. It was meant to be I guess!

My office is really limited with regards to sub placement, but I found the most even response was placing it in the back left corner. REW Room Sim was helpful in gauging the predicted response. I had no major nulls to deal with, just a nice little 10 dB peak in the 45 hz region and some other 5 dB peaks between 100 - 300 hz. I used the moving mic method with REW's real time analysis and had it generate filters for a +/- 2 dB response, after which I added a 6 dB high shelf filter at 16.5 kHz to tame the high end a bit. The end result isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me and sounds really nice to my ears.

2023-08-15 MMM - Before and After.png

MOONnSUN

It's an honor to write this post.
I'm using the 305p-Mk2 with a speaker stand on my desk,

Is this the best EQ(Mailky76) to apply at this time (today)?

I'm using them connected to a PC via a Topping e30 DAC without subwoofer.
Unfortunately, I don't have my own measurement equipment, including a microphone.

JBL 305P mkII APO EQ
October212020-144805

Preamp: -1.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 160 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 2.04
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 567 Hz Gain 1.68 dB Q 0.98
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 822 Hz Gain -1.49 dB Q 5.63
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1755 Hz Gain -3.32 dB Q 5.3
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3219 Hz Gain -2.51 dB Q 2.52
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5007 Hz Gain -2.43 dB Q 4.31
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6667 Hz Gain -1.82 dB Q 11.3
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8730 Hz Gain -1.02 dB Q 10.5
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10251 Hz Gain -1.79 dB Q 3.1
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16212 Hz Gain -2.27 dB Q 5.01
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 17190 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 3

2024-01-06_141820.jpg

Hi,

At long last, here is my take on the EQ.
Note:
I just implemented a routine to automatically export the EQ I design as APO/Peace config file.
I suggest you use Peace on top of EQ APO:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You just need to import the file as @sweetchaos (thanks for pointing the info) shows here :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-community-project.14929/page-14#post-536526

I have attached a the config file to import.
Note that there is an automatically generated Preamp gain that is based on the actual peak gain of the EQ rounded up for a tiny bit of headroom in the hope of avoiding digital clipping.

Spinorama no EQ:
Score: 4.64
View attachment 88972
EQ Design:
Score with EQ: 6.78
EQ in APO format:
Code:
JBL 305P mkII APO EQ
October212020-144805

Preamp: -1.6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 160 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 2.04
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 567 Hz Gain 1.68 dB Q 0.98
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 822 Hz Gain -1.49 dB Q 5.63
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1755 Hz Gain -3.32 dB Q 5.3
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3219 Hz Gain -2.51 dB Q 2.52
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5007 Hz Gain -2.43 dB Q 4.31
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6667 Hz Gain -1.82 dB Q 11.3
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8730 Hz Gain -1.02 dB Q 10.5
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10251 Hz Gain -1.79 dB Q 3.1
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16212 Hz Gain -2.27 dB Q 5.01
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 17190 Hz Gain -2.1 dB Q 3
View attachment 88976
Corresponding Spinorama:
View attachment 88973
Zoom on PIR-LW-ON
View attachment 88975
Regression - Tonal
View attachment 88974
Handsome improvements:
View attachment 88977
Rather than showing the raw directivity I applied the EQ to the complete Spinorama data set:
EQed LW:
View attachment 88989 Probably better if listened 15deg off-axis on the horizontal plan:
View attachment 88987
The vertical directivity seems better than many but still better stay within +/-10deg of the tweeter axis

View attachment 88979
here is the EQed directivity which might be better way to visualize than a straight normalization as this way, one should avoid normalizing to some artefacts only present in the ON curve
View attachment 88988
Normalized:
View attachment 88983

Given the price and the EQed performance, that is really a great speaker if the hiss is not an issue...

As usual the rest of the data is attached.

If you try the config file please report if you experience any issue.
Tanks in advance.

Attachments

• JBL 305P mkII APO EQ.txt
    581 bytes · Views: 22
Last edited:

afico

Just a maybe stupid question. Considering that JBL have an internal DSP... i think that no matter dac you use..they will sound always the same as the signal sent to xlr input will be anyhow converted...am i wrong?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Just a maybe stupid question. Considering that JBL have an internal DSP... i think that no matter dac you use..they will sound always the same as the signal sent to xlr input will be anyhow converted...am i wrong?
Yes, you're wrong.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not wrong.
DACs are a solved problem. Audibly transparent DACs starts around $9.95 (Yes).
These are very good monitors. Period. No qualifier needed. They hiss at close range (4 feet or less), in my system they are used for surround and Atmos speakers, I, don't hear the hiss at those distances.
YMMV.

Peace.

Top Bottom