• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3: subjective impressions

I've sound the topping to have a "hard" sound also. Call it flat, etc. I might step up to a NAD 3020v2 or maybe I've get a volt amp and use my power supply from the PA3?
PA3 psu's too powerful for the volt. 19-24V is the acceptable range, 31V the upper limit. amir's test shown that 19V gives the best results at the cost of some power

milus

I've been using my Topping PA3 for a few days now and although it doesn't do anything "great" it has enough of what I am looking for to keep it!

I have sent back the SMSL 300 amp
All the other chip amps I sent back had issues with
1. Too little power for desktop use
2. Too much distortion at listening level
3. Slow and strained sound
4. Closed off and stuffy sound

Blessings.

@SoonHappy

I guess you are referring to SMSL SA300? If so it comes equipped with the Infineon Merus MA12070 chip.
I would like to know what you didn't like about this amp, since I am interested in how that chip performs.
Does it hiss?

Thanks!

KR500

I put my Topping pa3 and Aiyima 04's away and bought a NAD 316 bee amplifier .
The NAD sounds and works very well

D

Deleted member 17820

@SoonHappy

I guess you are referring to SMSL SA300? If so it comes equipped with the Infineon Merus MA12070 chip.
I would like to know what you didn't like about this amp, since I am interested in how that chip performs.
Does it hiss?

Thanks!
I used the SMSL SA300 to power some very efficient speakers and it didn't have enough power even for desktop usage for me. It sounded clean at low levels but as soon as it was loud enough for desktop use it sounded REALLY bad.

I tried but wasn't able to get my buddy to bench test it. I am not sure why it sounded so bad, but it did. Sounded very distorted.
I did not hear any hiss with it at all.

fun

PA3 psu's too powerful for the volt. 19-24V is the acceptable range, 31V the upper limit. amir's test shown that 19V gives the best results at the cost of some power
Hi, can you point me to the test which concludes 19V gives the best results? Thank you!

teej

will be using a loki EQ to thicken up the sound a little.
I also did this. Been my desktop amp/EQ combo for over a year now. Love it w/ the Loki.

D

Deleted member 17820

I also did this. Been my desktop amp/EQ combo for over a year now. Love it w/ the Loki.
Hi, so it's unfortunate, but I had to send 2 Loki's back. They each had left channel drop out about 10 seconds after turning on, and they also would drop out each channel intermittintly.

Schitt customer service was great and the build qualtiy was really nice. I am disapointed at the issues I had with both units.

It was definetly the Loki's issue.
1. I would switch the RCA output on my powered speakers and it always started on the "left" RCA output
2. I would run the same pink noise into both channels using a splitter.
3. I also would mono the output and use both inputs

Point is, the issue was with the Loki.
Like I said Schitt was a great company to deal with, very prompt and issue to communicate with. Even with this issue I will most likley buy stuff from them again.

teej

Hi, so it's unfortunate, but I had to send 2 Loki's back. They each had left channel drop out about 10 seconds after turning on, and they also would drop out each channel intermittintly.

Schitt customer service was great and the build qualtiy was really nice. I am disapointed at the issues I had with both units.

It was definetly the Loki's issue.
1. I would switch the RCA output on my powered speakers and it always started on the "left" RCA output
2. I would run the same pink noise into both channels using a splitter.
3. I also would mono the output and use both inputs

Point is, the issue was with the Loki.
Like I said Schitt was a great company to deal with, very prompt and issue to communicate with. Even with this issue I will most likley buy stuff from them again.
Wow - very surprising to hear. Mine has never had an issue, and I've considered buying another for my garage setup. Glad to hear they took care of you.

leres

Opening the PA3 was a challenge, and I obviously did it wrong since I broke the solder joints of the speaker terminals to the vertical daughterboard at the back of the case. And I still cannot remove the main board.

View attachment 27022

I think I will ad to my personal list of requirements for mini-components that the interior be accessible so that I - or my local electronics repair shop - can access the electronics and wiring for repair purposes such as reconnecting/re-soldering joints or replacing bulging/failed capacitors.
I didn't see any followups to this; I got a PA3 today and wanted to take it apart to see if I could make it auto-power on when power is restored. The new design of Topping gear appears to be to use hex head screws to hold the back panel on and the internal front panel to the front of the box. So I think to remove the board you need to carefully pry off the volume knob, remove the nut that holds it to the front panel, remove the two outer hex screws from the back and then use a ~10" 2mm hex driver to remove two screws that hold the power/input board to the front of the box. I had mine apart just enough to see this. Now I'm on the hunt for a really long 2mm hex driver...

leres

Now I'm on the hunt for a really long 2mm hex driver...
I received a Bondhus 3752 "extra long metric" 2.0mm ball end screwdriver today. It's ridiculously long (279mm/13.2") but the next size down (Bondhus 10752) is only 102mm/ 6.2" long which might be too short. Basically you need the usable part of the 2.0mm shaft to be at least 5.25" long.

Anyway, with the right tool the board comes out easily. I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.

I think the optimal disassembly goes like this: Carefully pry the knob off and then use a 10mm nut driver or socket to remove the nut. Remove the two rear case screws. Use a long hex driver to loosen the two front panel screws, going through the rear case screw holes and being careful to keep the front of the case aimed somewhat down so the front case screws don't fall out. Pull the front panel out far enough to disengage the 4-pin jumper. At this point the main board slides out the back.

leres

Here are some pictures of a Topping PA3 I opened up last weekend:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

bansuri

Please can someone help in highlighting the combo of PA3 with topping E30 performance with elac speakers B6

honn

Gentle reminder... Thanks
The E30 is pretty much a transparent DAC of unbeatable value. The PA3 is a really good amp that can power the B6s well because right now I am using the PA3 with the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 and it's very fine, perhaps almost indistinguishable from my XTZ Edge A2-300 amp. But Amir will review both of the amps and it will interesting to see.

chaotic_angel

Hello I am planning to pair PA3 with Klipsch R51M or R41M passive speaker. Will PA3 have enough power to drive both Klipsch at max?

DAC E30 and QP1R player.

honn

Hello I am planning to pair PA3 with Klipsch R51M or R41M passive speaker. Will PA3 have enough power to drive both Klipsch at max?

DAC E30 and QP1R player.
My Elac DBR62 is harder to drive at 86 dB sensitivity and it drives them finely. So the Klipsch at 93 dB sensitivity will be quite a breeze for the PA3.

chaotic_angel

My Elac DBR62 is harder to drive at 86 dB sensitivity and it drives them finely. So the Klipsch at 93 dB sensitivity will be quite a breeze for the PA3.

Hi many thanks for your reply! how do you find the amp sound character to you Elac please?

zer0dave

Hi many thanks for your reply! how do you find the amp sound character to you Elac please?
Hi there! New poster here and found this thread based on my increased interest in achieving better audio quality. My setup is not quite the same as your Debut Reference 6.2 but I have a Schiit Modi 3 DAC connected to a Topping PA3 connected to the less expensive (but equally awesome) Elac Debut B5.2's. I am new to this "mini amp" world so I compared the PA3 to my old Sony receiver I was using. I used some Rush CDs that I like as I feel their many different periods and always-present attention to detail is a good mix to put speakers through their paces. Here were my impressions:

Topping PA3: Mids and highs were bright and clear but not harsh to my ears. Lots of presence, detail and separation in vocals and acoustic guitars. Definitely got airy at points and gave me a sense of space that the singer was singing in. Bass was tight, focused and controlled and not huge and boomy. It had its own sense of space from the kick drum which was nice! Some have said this model lacks bass and highs are too shrill but this was not my experience. I did feel that it did have a slightly "hard" and "forward" sound as others have mentioned but to my ears, this wasn't an unpleasant thing and may have also been the material (Rush is "hard" rock after all). If anything, it brought all the detail I was looking for to the forefront in a pleasing way.

Sony surround receiver (used "direct" mode to bypass dsp): Doing an A/B comparison, mids felt more "muffled" and "clustered together". Vocals still maintained some separation and sounded ok until the singer started to belt and then I got a minute crackling on the high end at times that was hard to ignore once I heard it. I never got the same sense of air and space from the instruments and vocals that I would sometimes get with the Topping. Bass sounded good but "less localized" and focused in comparison and sounded clouded with the kick drum frequently.

Conclusion:
I am a musician and am "new" to this audiophile world but I feel excited that I found a product that sounds this good to me for $100 (bought it almost new on ebay). If you are on the fence about the Topping PA3, I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. For me in my space, it beat out a receiver I was using for years. Enjoy!

john11

Are there any heat or failure issues as was the case with the sister amp the pa5

Top Bottom