• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we imitate loudness dial?

alaios

Hi all I know this is not a popular topic
but If I have treble and bass dials cant I immitate loundness control? Is not loudness control boosting bass and treble at low volumes? If yes what can be starting dial point?
Regards
Alex

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Here's how it's implemented in RME DACs:

1705292705337.png

I'm not sure whether this is the same on older amps with a loudness button, or whether this digital implementation is more sophisticated, but you can see that the level of boost varies according to the level of attenuation. In addition, the bass boost is below 200Hz and the treble boost above 1kHz. Where those points are with your bass and treble controls might be quite different.

AlfaNovember

Yes, in principle, you can emulate the function of the Loudness control with the bass and the treble controls. However - a well implemented Loudness will boost with shelving filters at particular frequencies - 70 Hz for the low, 3500 for the high in the case of the CamillaDSP implementation - and will apply gain to those shelves proportionate to the overall volume. Which is to say - very quiet volume, lots of loudness boost. Turn up the overall volume, and the shelves shouldn't be quite as heavily boosted. When the overall volume gets to a nominal "loud enough" baseline - 83 dB or so - the filter stops applying boost entirely.

Therefore, there are two problems with using bass & treble controls - One, the shelving frequencies chosen by the manufacturer for the tone controls may not align well with the desired loudness shelves. Second, adjusting the correct amount of T&B boost as a function of overall volume would be finicky and virtually impossible to duplicate consistently day after day, short of building yourself a chart and painting calibration marks on your knobs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on your gear and what it does particularly....what is it?

D

Deleted member 48726

It depends. -What equipment do you have?

This is treble/bass knob settings from a Yamaha A-S1000-->

1705294487921.png

OP
A

alaios

View attachment 342064
I'm not sure whether this is the same on older amps with a loudness button, or whether this digital implementation is more sophisticated, but you can see that the level of boost varies according to the level of attenuation. In addition, the bass boost is below 200Hz and the treble boost above 1kHz. Where those points are with your bass and treble controls might be quite different.
How this works with subwoofers? So if we have a sub connected to subwoofer out?

OP
A

alaios

Yes, in principle, you can emulate the function of the Loudness control with the bass and the treble controls. However - a well implemented Loudness will boost with shelving filters at particular frequencies - 70 Hz for the low, 3500 for the high in the case of the CamillaDSP implementation - and will apply gain to those shelves proportionate to the overall volume. Which is to say - very quiet volume, lots of loudness boost. Turn up the overall volume, and the shelves shouldn't be quite as heavily boosted. When the overall volume gets to a nominal "loud enough" baseline - 83 dB or so - the filter stops applying boost entirely.

Therefore, there are two problems with using bass & treble controls - One, the shelving frequencies chosen by the manufacturer for the tone controls may not align well with the desired loudness shelves. Second, adjusting the correct amount of T&B boost as a function of overall volume would be finicky and virtually impossible to duplicate consistently day after day, short of building yourself a chart and painting calibration marks on your knobs.
so is a cheap mans man loundness control button. I think listening to music at low volumes when family is sleeping is very important

OP
A

alaios

some REW measurements can show the "truth" then? One can remember where to put bass and treble dials to have this loudness effect then

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 342064
Hi

I'd like to see similar graphs for Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I like what it does, it has become for me, mandatory :)... Strangely, listening though headphones or IEM , I don't feel the need for loudness compensation...
I resisted for a long time, but the RME is on my to-buy-soon list.

Peace.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
How this works with subwoofers? So if we have a sub connected to subwoofer out?
It doesn't (to my better knowledge on most devices that are primarily stereo, don't know about RME multichannel interfaces or Denon AVR's). You need software implementation and multichannel interface/sound card or DSP for distribution. EQ-APO and JRiver have ISO 226 2003 loudness implemented.

OP
A

alaios

Ok so loundness is more for 2.0 systems, for 2.1 and 2.2 will lead to weird results....

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I resisted for a long time, but the RME is on my to-buy-soon list.
On the RME, you can also adjust some of the parameters of the loudness function - within limits.

My main wish is for an RME DAC with an additional 5 or 10 PEQ bands. :)

Strangely, listening though headphones or IEM , I don't feel the need for loudness compensation...
It's designed for speakers at low volume, when listening to headphones or IEM, you're not likely to disturb anyone else, so you don't need to listen at low volume, surely?

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok so loundness is more for 2.0 systems, for 2.1 and 2.2 will lead to weird results....
No it's for full range FR but doesn't translate to line out/sub out on most stereo implementations up to date. So you have to do it elsewhere and that it does to full FR in any configuration that is more than 2.0 stereo.
You can create cuple of presets for usual SPL levels you intend to listen at and switch them accordingly.

coonmanx

A ten band graphic equalizer is an easy way to build your own loudness control. A little more flexible than just using bass and treble controls. But yeah, you can do what you like at low volume with the bass and treble controls and see what you think.

OP
A

alaios

A ten band graphic equalizer is an easy way to build your own loudness control. A little more flexible than just using bass and treble controls. But yeah, you can do what you like at low volume with the bass and treble controls and see what you think.
it was also for me almost to understand the "theory" so the basic dials are the bass and treble control and on top of those you build the loudness one (of course with some modifications)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
so two subs connected via a splitter to the sub out of the amplifier
You've not described your system yet, and it depends on the details. If the loudness and volume control happens before the amp input then it should be fine. If the loudness happens before the amp, but you use the amp's volume control then you need to adjust both to get something that sounds right. If your amp has pre-outs that loop back to the power stage you could use these for the loudness, but depending on where the sub out is connected you might need a 2-channel or 3-channel device to do process loudness.

OP
A

alaios

My system is based ok leak 130 where I think the dials are part of the preamp part so my understanding is that my pseudo loudness effect would work on that integrated model

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Top Bottom